Fly spell and anitmagic field(help me beat a friggin dead horse yet again!!!!)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
An antimagic field may only be supressing an effect but for all intents and purposes the effect is ended. Can you still fly? No. Therefore the float gently down part of the spell would kick in.

Let's say I have a variation of the Expeditious Retreat spell that lets me move at double my speed, but once the spell ends, I take 1d6 points of subdual damage.

Halfway through the duration of the spell, someone casts Hold Person on me.

Can I still move at double my speed? No. But that doesn't mean the spell is ended, and it doesn't mean I take the damage.

Until the duration expires or the spell is dispelled, the "at the conclusion of the spell" effects don't take effect, even if the spell is temporarily suppressed.

-Hyp.

durath

First Post
The real quesiton is was this actually part of the adventure and bad luck for the party wizard, or was the DM just offing the wizard because he got his panties in a bunch.

No, this was not part of the adventure but it also was not a specific grudge from the DM against the wizard. We just began playing the "Against the Giants" modules(converted for 3E).

The entire campaign has been one of Giant Slaying and has been immensely enjoyable but the DM had so many modules with giants he wanted to run that by the time we actually started the G series modules the party is around 16th level on average, which is about 4 levels higher than what the module calls for.

In order to make it a challenge for our party the DM has an antimagic field covering the structure where the hill giants are gathered. If we would've played this module as is we would have wiped the floor with the whole lot of em' and the DM knew it.

Don't know how much fun this'll be for the wizard now.

Sidenote:The DM agreed not to have the wizard take the damage since it was a grey area and the damage would not have killed him(he was at full HP's and has a lot of HP's for a Wizard) and the party cleric had a heal spell memorized.

Last edited:

Shard O'Glase

First Post
so um if I was the wizard I'd say my guy stays at the inn and waits, I'll show up at a session when the adventure is over ok.

seriosuly your working with giants as a base, if you can't challenge a 16th level party your not trying. Add cleric levels or sor levels to boost that crappy will save and some more HP and AB at the same time, and the giants will be a challenge.

green slime

First Post
Covering the entire area with AMF-effect is nasty, and means the wizard is reduced to bystander/XP-syphon.

There are better ways as Shard O'Glase suggested.

Of course watching the wizard plummet 200 feet to the ground may just be worth the price of admission :D (sorry)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
First task? Find the object creating the anti-magic field, and either destroy it or bring it back for your own fortress! :)

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
First task? Find the object creating the anti-magic field, and either destroy it or bring it back for your own fortress! :)

Yeah! Cast Detect Magic.

If something doesn't detect as magical, it might be the object!

-Hyp.

durath

First Post
Believe me if it was something we could take we would. The campaign is set on the DM's homebrew world. It has magical nodes which are elementally aligned and which can be used to power spells. They are also the reason magic is able to exist on the world.

Thorugh some pretty darned good Knowledge arcana checks the party wizard has determined that two nodes are sitting almost right on top of each other and their proximity to one another is what is causing the huge anti-magic field.

We had thought about using a limited wish to bring down the field for a few rounds(hopefully) but the wizard checked his knowledge further and hypothesizes that bringing down the field could possibly destroy both nodes as well as make a huge crater over the entire area(the DM said it would be akin to setting of a good sized nuke). Which would be bad not only for the area but for the world since we would be destroying two of the nodes which make magic possible.

In addition it is possible that doing so would cause the magical energies of the node to not only blow up the whole area but also still have enough spell energy to unleash a huge magical storm the properties of which we are unsure-but definitely destructive.

So it looks as if we are going to be forced to do this the old fashioned way. No magic.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
We had thought about using a limited wish to bring down the field for a few rounds(hopefully) but the wizard checked his knowledge further and hypothesizes that bringing down the field could possibly destroy both nodes as well as make a huge crater over the entire area(the DM said it would be akin to setting of a good sized nuke).

Antimagic Hill Giants?

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

-Hyp.

Tar-Edhel

First Post
durath said:
An antimagic field may only be supressing an effect but for all intents and purposes the effect is ended. Can you still fly? No. Therefore the float gently down part of the spell would kick in.

AMF supresses all magic not just one spell.

It stops the 'fly' part of the spell as well as the 'gently floats down' part.

So your DM was right :) As he always is ;)

Hypersmurf said:

Let's say I have a variation of the Expeditious Retreat spell that lets me move at double my speed, but once the spell ends, I take 1d6 points of subdual damage.

Halfway through the duration of the spell, someone casts Hold Person on me.

Can I still move at double my speed? No. But that doesn't mean the spell is ended, and it doesn't mean I take the damage.

Until the duration expires or the spell is dispelled, the "at the conclusion of the spell" effects don't take effect, even if the spell is temporarily suppressed.

-Hyp.

What if you're standing in an AMF while your custom spell expires? Do you take the d6 subdual? when you leave the field? or not at all?

What if you cast dispel magic on a flying wizard and then as he's "gently floating to the ground" you cast it again? Now will he drop?

Remove ads