D&D (2024) Flying fighter with Topple vs multiple flying enemies

Horwath

Legend
Honestly, I kind of wonder why small size exists at this point. On the grid people don't even use different base sizes for small and medium. It was purely the rules which made them different, and now those are gradually being phased out it may as well go from tiny to medium.
It exist because we HAVE to have halflings(hobbits) in the game, because reasons.

Core races should be: human, elf, dwarf, orc
Uncommon can have gnomes and halflings,

But it should be said clearly that playing small races have some advantages, but that disadvantages are also present, especially in weapon usage.

IMHO; 3E had good solution, light weapon should be one handed, and one handed becomes two handed for small characters. They cannot wield 2Handed weapons.

or just make whole set of weapons "small sized" with 1 or 2 step reduction in damage die.

possible advantages for a small race, they are athletic and agile.
Pick Athletics, Arcrobatics or Stealth, you have proficiency and expertise in that skill.

It exist because we HAVE to have halflings(hobbits) in the game, because reasons.

Core races should be: human, elf, dwarf, orc
Uncommon can have gnomes and halflings,

But it should be said clearly that playing small races have some advantages, but that disadvantages are also present, especially in weapon usage.

IMHO; 3E had good solution, light weapon should be one handed, and one handed becomes two handed for small characters. They cannot wield 2Handed weapons.

or just make whole set of weapons "small sized" with 1 or 2 step reduction in damage die.

possible advantages for a small race, they are athletic and agile.
Pick Athletics, Arcrobatics or Stealth, you have proficiency and expertise in that skill.
I didn't suggest removing halflings or gnomes or any small species. I'm just saying that if all the mechanical differences between medium and small get removed, then it should all just be folded into medium.

I'd prefer there were more differences than in 5e, but moving into 1dnd it seems that they're just removing the last few differences but also leaving in the size category difference which does next to nothing.

Horwath

Legend
I didn't suggest removing halflings or gnomes or any small species. I'm just saying that if all the mechanical differences between medium and small get removed, then it should all just be folded into medium.

I'd prefer there were more differences than in 5e, but moving into 1dnd it seems that they're just removing the last few differences but also leaving in the size category difference which does next to nothing.
difference between small and medium should be similar to medium to large.
large creatures with appropriate large weapons deal double base damage.
So "small longbow" can be 1d4 damage tops.

Remove ads