• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Folding boats, pirate ships and how to make them fly

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Just a nitpick: it doesn't make sense to have multiple "keels" on a ship. The keel is the singular main beam, the one that runs longitudinally down the center of the hull and provides structural support to the enture ship. On some ships there could be multiple support beams or similar members, but only the one in the center is the keel.

Your flying machine can have any number of suspensors or drive pods or other sources of magical flight power, but it still only has one keel.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Piratecat said:
They also have an air keel, a magic item that I pulled out of my butt which (when attached to a ship) allows the ship to fly.

Piratecat's butt allows ships to fly?!

6. What enchantment would you add to an air keel to stop its magic from being temporarily nullified by a dispel magic (which would drop the ship)?

You could always go with the standard treat-the-fly-spell-as-though-its-duration-expired deal, and have them float gently down...

-Hyp.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Flying boats are great. I really like the idea of the keel levitating the ship and it then needs to be sailed normally - has loads of style!

As far as dispel magic goes; I'd give them rickety looking harnesses with a limited use featherfall effect on them. Have the NPC saleswizard smile knowingly as they hand them over...

'Our insurance does not cover you against gravity.'

'When you purchase your next ship from us you get a free monkey, parrot or monkey-parrot.'

'Aim for a haystack'. :)

It would certainly explain why everyone isn't using flying ships!

Oh and at some point a giant flying sea monster (kraken?) should really make an appearance...

Len

Prodigal Member
Hypersmurf said:
Piratecat's butt allows ships to fly?!
Note that "when pigs can fly" means the same as "and monkeys might fly out of my butt". Not sure where the pirates come into it, though.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Here's what I ended up sending my group. Thank you, everyone who helped!

----------------

On the docks of Oceanus, the grizzled aasimar stares at you with undisguised interest. You've been sent to speak to Hothos the Shipwright by everyone you spoke to in Sigil, each of your contacts claiming that this is the man to talk to if you want to know about ship enchantment. "Hothos is the shipwright of the heavens," one weaselly merchant confided. "He's who the angels turn to when they need a ship made. Perhaps he'll give you advice."

So two portals and several bribes later, here you are. The air smells of the sweet scent of endless ocean and the smell of fresh-planed wood and the stink of tar. Through the window you can see the docks and the worldsea that twinkles in the golden sunlight behind them. You've explained what you want, and the charming old man draws noisily on his pipe as he considers.

"So ye've got a foldling boat, and ye've got an air keel, and ye want the two combined. But ye want the keel to fold, and ye want it to not plummet if it's dispelled, and ye want help steering it, and ye're not sure the ship's big enough for ye in the first place." He raises his eyebrows. "Ye've got a few different options. Let's us take one thing at a time."

"Ye'll want to use the magical airkeel as yer central means of levitation. We can do that, and make it fold along wi' the boat.

"It's also possible to add additional levitating supports on to it. This will ensure that a single dispel magic won't disable the entire ship, as the support beams will be able to keep the ship in the air long enough for the main keel to recover. We can possibly tie them in with the rudder. If we do, it'll give the ship the equivalent of rowers; nowhere near as fast as sails, but still speedier than being becalmed if the wind dies on ye. If ye'd rather not spend the money, you can make the boat immune to one dispel magic for a small amount, effectively working a ring of counterspells into the figurehead. That's only good once before needing recharging by casting the spell yourself, though.

"If'n ye want privacy, that's doable as well. We can make the boat invisible to scrying. I've looked into the idea of enlarging a folding boat before. Unfortunately, adding a large extradimensional space into the middle is a steep 90,000 gp. For less money we can simply allow the boat to hold items even when it's folded. It's also much less expensive to actually add an extra form to the folding ship. If'n we add a sloop as a third form and extend the enchantment, you can get the use of three different sizes.

"Here's a breakdown of the costs involved. If'n one of you with magical powers wants to stay and help during the construction, I'll give you 5% off. Ye can't do all the enchanting yerself, though, as I've got me trade secrets. Each o' my ships is the finest craftsmanship, guaranteed by me word of honor and me best labor." He smiles warmly at you, relights his pipe, and lets you decide.

Summary of costs:

Fee to attach air keel and enchant keel to fold along with current ship: 7,500 gp
- OR -
Fee to attach air keel AND make ship larger by adding a 50' sloop form: 28,000 gp

AND:

Add additional levitation beams (adds stability in storms, adds forward motion as per rowers, much more difficult to "sink" with a dispel magic): 12,000 gp

Make the boat immune to one dispel magic (before needing recharging): 4,000 gp

Make the boat immune to scrying (Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum active when boat is unfolded): 30,000 gp

Add a small extradimensional enchantment to the inside of the boat, allowing it to hold items when it folds but adding no extra room: 15,000

Camoflage (continuous illusion of clouds around boat): 30,000 gp

AND:

One-time-use featherfall devices: 100 gp each.

Wand of fly: 5,625 gp.

Sailor's Wheel (slotless, +7 to craft: sailor, useful for actually sailing): 9,800 gp

Navigator's Compass (glove slot while being used, +8 knowledge: navigation; essential for steering): 6,400 gp

-----------------------------

Possible costs totals:

28,000 Add sloop and air keel
12,000 Add levitation beams
4,000 Counterspell one dispel magic
0 No immunity to scrying (assumes Agar will cast spell daily himself)
15,000 Let boat hold items when folded
30,000 Cloud camoflage
2,000 20 featherfall life preservers
9,800 Sailor's Wheel (needed for sailing ship)
6,400 compass (needed to go the right direction)

Less 5% Someone helps
------------

I wish I'd spotted this earlier. I cut my roleplaying teeth on Talislanta, a setting where they embraced the joys of airships. And those airships looked cool, even with sails on the bottomside. Actually, a lot of them had 'wings,' sorta. Imagine the wings of a gold dragon, all frilly and stuff, stretched along the back of a narrow, swift boat.

Anyway, I guess I don't have much to contribute. Oh, except for wind cannons. I got this from Tal also.

In my home game a couple of years ago, the party found this weird metal contraption that looked like a copper conch shell, sixteen feet long. When identified, it turned out to be a wind generator. There were several buttons one could depress on the surface of the item, which would activate its magic at different power levels. Basically, it shoots wind out of the end of the shell, like a cannon, and, in total defiance of physics, the wind just pushes the ship forward (even though logically the shooting of the wind ought to shove it backward too).

The party's fighter was converting to a life of merchantry, so he had it mounted on a swivel base on the aftcastle of a ship he bought. Most of the time, he could just use it to have his ship sail the seas at 40 miles an hour. A few times he used the cannon as a weapon.

One night, they were attacked by a vampiric dragon in the middle of a boggy swamp (note to players the world over: don't try to teleport your ship!). I knew they were going to kill the dragon, but I figured it'd flow away back to its lair, recuperate, and come after them later with allies. Instead, when they knocked it to 0 hp and it turned to gas, they followed it through the swamp as best they could, using the wind cannon to blow it off course. They basically harried the dragon's mist form for hours, keeping it from getting back to its lair. Come sunrise, no more dragon.

Yep, fun times.

'Course, not as fun as the time the improved invisibility'd rogue snuck on board and started turning the cannon on the crew, blasting people off the deck.

Anyway, back to the point of this thread, one time they rescued an air elementalist archmage from an Orcish fleet of steam-powered ironclads. With no escape route in sight, the party was ready for a hell of a fight against an army, when the mage dug his fingers into the center of the maindeck, and the ship lifted into the sky. The ship wasn't flying; the mage was.

That was a fun adventure. I hope you have fun with aerial piracy, Piratecat.

BSF

Explorer
Heck yeah flying ships are cool! I even have them in my world. I kep hoping my players will get someplace where they can see one and start getting ideas of their own. ;)

Nifty cool Piratecat! Looking forward to those Story Hour posts down the line.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads