D&D General For the Love of Greyhawk: Why People Still Fight to Preserve Greyhawk

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I would prefer a full campaign setting book, but that would be sufficient.

Honestly, we have now passed the six year mark of 5e (yes, the PHB was released more than six years ago). We are almost five years out on the DM's Guild.

Geryhawk continues to be mined for its IP-
Ghosts of Saltmarsh (set in GH)
Tasha (GH)
Mordenkainen (GH)
Tales from the Yawning Portal (4/7 adventures in Greyhawk)

....and yet, we still cannot officially get 3PP for Greyhawk on the DM's Guild. That's frustrating.
So until this thread i've never really though too much about this, but....

The "named" spells have existed in the PHB since 1e (Although I don't recall them existing in 4e for some reason). All of the various "settings" as well as most homebrew settings include the named spells in the world, which would mean that in Dark Sun, Birthright, and my personal homebrew 5e setting there have been wizards named Mordenkainen, Ottiluke, Tasha, Tenser, Aganeezer, Snilloc, etc... who have all invented the same spells across the multiverse in some strange meta way. Is my homebrew world's Mordenkainen related in some way to Greyhawks Mordenkainen?

Is there something to this that might make a "hook"?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
So until this thread i've never really though too much about this, but....

The "named" spells have existed in the PHB since 1e (Although I don't recall them existing in 4e for some reason). All of the various "settings" as well as most homebrew settings include the named spells in the world, which would mean that in Dark Sun, Birthright, and my personal homebrew 5e setting there have been wizards named Mordenkainen, Ottiluke, Tasha, Tenser, Aganeezer, Snilloc, etc... who have all invented the same spells across the multiverse in some strange meta way. Is my homebrew world's Mordenkainen related in some way to Greyhawks Mordenkainen?

Is there something to this that might make a "hook"?

I'm sure better minds than mine can probably think of a way to tie in the idea that Greyhawk is a "real world" first setting with some sort of planar "echoes" concept - something about how the events in Greyhawk (or GH Prime) reverberate throughout the prime material plane, etc.

Kind of meta, but it could work.

I absolutely love Dark Souls. Since quarantine, I've been replaying the whole series and am currently on 3. But I don't necessarily love grinding difficulty in my tabletop RPGs. For a one-off, sure. But in an ongoing campaign, if every single encounter is a close shave or worse with death, that wears players down.

The thing about Dark Souls' is that when you die, that loading screen is pretty darn fast (10-30 seconds seems to be the general consensus, at least on the PS4). At worst, you lose your collected souls and go back to being hollow, but you're back to playing the game pretty quickly. With D&D, making a new character takes time. Even assuming you speed through and don't play a spellcaster, you're still looking at a minimum 5-10 minutes. And that says nothing of the character concept. In older days, you see lot's of "Erac's Cousin," Jon son of Jon, and Blogg IX because people just started checking out on making an interesting character because they were all going to die quickly. They just became pieces on a boardgame, which is not a style that I think most people enjoy these days.

In short, I love Dark Souls and I love D&D, but I don't think the difficulty of Dark Souls is conducive to long-lasting campaigns.

I think it would probably not be extremely popular, but I guess it could find a niche - people love the Dark Souls video games, after all - whereas the "it’s sword and sorcery but not really" hook is not likely to be a barn-burner.

Chaosmancer

Legend
A. "The Dragonborn." I'm using this as a synecdoche for the larger issue, but for whatever reason, whenever Greyhawk comes up, there is a contingent of people that demands that it be a generic setting. I'm not sure why this is; but given that every new campaign setting release by WoTC has included at least some new mechanics and restrictions (of varying amounts, some little, some more), it is odd that some people who do not seem overly invested in having a Greyhawk released, nevertheless find the time to demand that a hypothetical product be nothing more than "generic D&D." Personally, I am indifferent to what new mechanics (backgrounds, races, classes, rules) are added, or what restrictions are put in, but I don't want or need a "generic" Greyhawk. The places, names, maps, etc. are already available.

I think part of this is two-fold.

1) There seems to be nothing uniquely Greyhawk in the limitations. There are no Clerics or Orcs in Darksun because the Gods are dead and the Orcs genocided out of existence. In many cases the default is that if there isn't a good reason to exclude them, a race should at least be considered to exist in the setting in some way.

2) Many of the things that don't exist in the setting didn't exist in 1983, which is why they don't exist in the setting.

I'm going to use Pokemon as an example of what I mean. If someone wanted a faithful adaption of the Pokemon Red game, should it include Pichu and Elekid? Those are younger versions of Pokemon in the game (Pikachu and Electabuzz) so it is almost weird they wouldn't be in the game. But they weren't in the original... because they were developed later in the games history.

Tieflings frankly make too much sense for Greyhawk, if Iuz's Empire has existed longer than a decade. If the place is so full of demons and devils then in the current version of the game, Tielfings arising is a natural occurrence. And, while there might be an impulse of "well, yeah, but they'd all be evil, completely" I have to wonder about that. Tieflings are far enough removed from their heritage to have free will beyond their nature, and I'm sure that at some point refugees flee from the Evil Empire.

There is what seems to be a compelling narrative there, especially for a world supposedly steeped in neutrality, but there seems to be no reason to bar it except for "it wasn't there before" or "the people would just kill them on sight, so it isn't a player option."

B. "Thank you for explaining what you want. Now, let me tell you why you are wrong." One of the many frustrating things about an internet forum is that it rarely operates like a conversation; instead, it is almost always a debate. In other words- thesis, antithesis, synthesis. Except without the synthesis. And a side-effect of that is what is referred to as sea-lioning. So when you have fans of different settings (such as Eberron, or Forgotten Realms) continually demand that you keep explaining why you like a setting, and then tell you why that isn't sufficient, and then demand you explain it again, etc.- well, eventually you just ignore them. Because there are plenty of resources (here, elsewhere) to learn about Greyhawk if that's what they really want; if they just want to keep asserting that they don't see the need for the product, then time is better spent not engaging with them. On this matter, or any other.

But at some point, if you aren't willing to advocate for the setting, then it starts to sound hollow. Sure, I could go to wikipedia and learn the bare bones history, but as I've found out many times, that information is as often wrong as it is right, and it often doesn't have any impact to read.

Wiki authors are often not good storytellers, and there is more than one property I'd be bored to tears of if I only learned about it through a wiki.

But a new and vibrant campaign setting, that incorporated aspects of the old while paving the way for the new in a way that introduced new fans to the setting? That's something I would love. As I write, the thing that matters most is the quality of the end product. Take the best, and leave the rest.

But what would that even mean? What new things should be added that would be distinctively Greyhawk? What old things should be preserved to maintain the feel? What even is the feel other than "gritty mercenaries and treasure hunters."?

It's called the Free City because it is a city state. That doesn't make it very special, as there are a couple of other city states nearby, although Greyhawk is the biggest of them so it sometimes dominates its neighbours (depending which version of the setting you are using). Its rise to prominence is comparatively recent - when the region was part of the Great Kingdom of Aerdy it wasn't even the provincial capital.

Naming the world after the city is an out-of-character thing; people who live there don't refer to the World of Greyhawk. It took me a while to get Greyhawk (city), Flanaess (region), Oerik (continent), and Oerth (world) straight.

Okay... so it is a city-state like many others, that recently got big from obscure beginnings.

Why did it get big? Was there a major discovery there? Is it a major Trade Line with some group? Or is it just... there. Was there a war with Aerdy? Does it still exist? Was it a terrible place and that is how Greyhawk got its moniker?

This seems like a problem that's really hard to solve. You basically seem to be in a position where you don't know what Sword and Sorcery is and aren't interested in finding out. Which is fine, but it means your arguments are from a position of ignorance, so you may find them convincing, but obviously others are not going to, and some points are going to be very hard to deal with, because you simply don't have the context to adequately understand them, and it's not context that can be trivially delivered to you.

I'm struggling to think of modern fantasy authors who write stuff that's definitely S&S (or movies, or TV series - Spartacus was kind of close, but without the sorcery - it's sword and sandal, which is a related genre). You have people like Joe Abercrombie who are kind of close, but they tend to lack the mercenary-but-heroic-but-mercenary vibe that S&S typically has. The Malazan series by Steven Erikson isn't tonally a million miles away but is also a kind of extreme epic fantasy, which just sort of slides into being S&S at times. Scott Lynch's Locke Lamora books have a very Fritz Leiber-esque kind of S&S vibe to them, but there's also other stuff going on.

So. Here is a thing.

If without the proper context of other fantasy stories, I can't even be told what makes Greyhawk compelling... is it really compelling?

I'm going to go and make a baseless assumption that you are not super into Anime. That's fine, it just fits my example.

If I wanted to sell you on Hero and Demon Queen, a show I rather enjoy, I would likely go with something along the lines of "It takes the classic tale of the hero defeating the great evil, and spins it into a tale of the bonds between people, and how society and economic progress can hold back the tides of war and hate, while simulataneously exploring what a strong warrior does, when there is no war to fight. There are some anime tropes, but also powerful emotional character developments."

However, in response to Greyhawk I'm getting "Well, if you haven't read the entire library of one author from at least twenty years ago, or gone and done the research yourself, I can't help you."

Which... seems odd. Like, is this setting only good if you are a fan of specific branches of fantasy that haven't been around for the last few years?

That isn't really true in the tone of the setting, though. Particularly as written by Ed Greenwood himself. Yes, the greatest magical empires might be gone, but most of them sucked pretty bad, and magic is still evolving and modernizing. New things are happening. New societies and cities and nations are emerging, and they're not worse than the past - in many cases they're distinctly better. Overall it is completely fair to compare the FR to mainstream high fantasy. It's no more a story of "decline" than WoW or FFXIV is. Yeah, bigger magic happened in the past (though insanely big stuff happens regularly, like on every edition-change!), but the past isn't "a better time", or even necessarily a bigger one.

Whereas in GH, the past clearly was, in many ways, a better time, where bigger, more important things happened. And this is true tonally, as well as technically.

Okay, so how was this accomplished? Is magic dying? Are the gods less present? Are people not innovating? I mean, what are the spells of Tasha, Mordenkainen, Bigby and Melf if magic is not modernizing and evolving?

If nothing important is going on... then why do I care enough to fight for a reprint of this setting?

Interesting. Greyhawk could be the "mass combat" AND the "advanced martial options" edition.

....just think, they can finally release the Warlord, IN GREYHAWK!

That would be ... well, I would get a lot of popcorn.

Hmm, I could see it. If you wanted to make it more about kingdom building and mass combat, most of the settings have some pretty big 800 lbs gorillas in the room. If Greyhawk doesn't, it does make it more ripe for "this is the setting about founding your own kingdom and fighting your neighbors for resources."

Voadam

Legend
Greyhawk city is a D&D version of Lankhmar, which is a Sword and Sorcery Fantasy novel version of New York. Greyhawk is a cosmopolitan port city with a lot of trade, a high population, a lot of diversity, rich and poor areas, famous personages, and organized crime. Its port is on a central Great Lake instead of on a coast, so the trade is more intracontinental than New York, more Chicagoish.

In the setting the current mayor is a big time thief, it used to be run by the Mad Mage Xagyg who ascended to become a demigod and left, and was the home location of a lot of famous D&D personages (Mordenkainen, Robilar, etc.). It is a fairly central, generally politically neutral, free city state on the continent amongst a bunch of geographically bigger Kingdoms and wild west humanoid areas.

Later on in the 2e timeline it was host to the signing of the Peace accords among most continental powers that ended the Greyhawk Wars that ushered in the From the Ashes Dark Fantasy era of the game.

This is gonna be a long post...
Tieflings frankly make too much sense for Greyhawk, if Iuz's Empire has existed longer than a decade. If the place is so full of demons and devils then in the current version of the game, Tielfings arising is a natural occurrence. And, while there might be an impulse of "well, yeah, but they'd all be evil, completely" I have to wonder about that. Tieflings are far enough removed from their heritage to have free will beyond their nature, and I'm sure that at some point refugees flee from the Evil Empire.

There is what seems to be a compelling narrative there, especially for a world supposedly steeped in neutrality, but there seems to be no reason to bar it except for "it wasn't there before" or "the people would just kill them on sight, so it isn't a player option."

Tiefling makes a lot of sense not because of Iuz, but because of the Great Kingdom and Ivid IV. Unless you use the demonic origins for tieflings. Then the "attack" on sight is even more relevant because so many were killed by devils and demons that people will assume you are one. Yet, yes they can be incorporated with a nice back story and if they are accompanied by known good guys. The Greyhawk Wars made sure that people know about demons and devil aplenty.

But at some point, if you aren't willing to advocate for the setting, then it starts to sound hollow. Sure, I could go to wikipedia and learn the bare bones history, but as I've found out many times, that information is as often wrong as it is right, and it often doesn't have any impact to read.

Wiki authors are often not good storytellers, and there is more than one property I'd be bored to tears of if I only learned about it through a wiki.

Yes, wiki isn't the best. But it is a start. Varied sources of information is always better than only one. So get to your Greyhawk wikki.
You lazy s... ;)

But what would that even mean? What new things should be added that would be distinctively Greyhawk? What old things should be preserved to maintain the feel? What even is the feel other than "gritty mercenaries and treasure hunters."?

Greyhawk is a world that has magic but where lost empire's ruins can be found and explored. The place has known quite a few disasters and magic, though still powerful is not readily available to anyone. You do not have zounds of high level characters at every corner of a street. They are rare and far between. Many will try to acquire power but the risks are high. When just finding a raise dead can be problematic, do you really want to take crazy risks? It is a sword and sorcery where magic is still present, powerful but in the hands of lost tomb or powerful and reclusive spell casters.

Demi-humans are slowly disapearing as humans take all the place in the worlds. The eleven solution has been either reclusion and isolationism (Celene) or inclusion and alliance (Vesve) and few other of inbetween. The humanocentrism should be a thing. The decline of the demi-humans should be played out and shown with a good emphasis.

Okay... so it is a city-state like many others, that recently got big from obscure beginnings.

Why did it get big? Was there a major discovery there? Is it a major Trade Line with some group? Or is it just... there. Was there a war with Aerdy? Does it still exist? Was it a terrible place and that is how Greyhawk got its moniker?
To answer this would require a lot. Greyhawk grew because the Old Great Kingdom was in decline. It used to be an empire spanning almost the entire eastern continent but fell in decadence and lost many of its peripheral provinces. Like Furyondy, Nyrond and others. Greyhawk was such a starting province when the Great Kindom let it loose. It took Zaggig Yragren and his imperialistic views to bring Greyhawk into what it is now. Naturally, Zaggig didn't care one iota about the city or the citizen and they were "free" to do as they pleased as long as he had a steady source of income to further is ascencion into godhood (which he did succeede to attain). The Freedom accorded by Zaggig to his citizen was unheard of in a pseudo medieval society and Greyhawk was the first of such cities. Thus the name Free City stuck. Remember than in a foedal state, peasant, serfs and almost anyone else belong to the nobility which can almost do anything with their "property". Thus the idea of free men, emanating from Greyhawk spread to other lands and prompted a more "civilized" to what could and should not be done to people.

So. Here is a thing.

If without the proper context of other fantasy stories, I can't even be told what makes Greyhawk compelling... is it really compelling?

I'm going to go and make a baseless assumption that you are not super into Anime. That's fine, it just fits my example.

If I wanted to sell you on Hero and Demon Queen, a show I rather enjoy, I would likely go with something along the lines of "It takes the classic tale of the hero defeating the great evil, and spins it into a tale of the bonds between people, and how society and economic progress can hold back the tides of war and hate, while simulataneously exploring what a strong warrior does, when there is no war to fight. There are some anime tropes, but also powerful emotional character developments."

However, in response to Greyhawk I'm getting "Well, if you haven't read the entire library of one author from at least twenty years ago, or gone and done the research yourself, I can't help you."

Which... seems odd. Like, is this setting only good if you are a fan of specific branches of fantasy that haven't been around for the last few years?
I don't know that Anime. Don't even care to watch or read it. Could you make me an entire resumé of the serie with detailed information so that I can make my mind? It would really help me to understand why you love that anime.

See? What you say can be turned around. If you have never read Conan, Games of Throne, Elric or any other fantasy book, you might have seen some relevant movies? Conan? Lords of the rings? This circular logic isn't going anywhere and it is almost bad faith.
Greyhawk can be resumed this way: It is a blend of sword and sorcery where magic is rare but not unheard of. Powerful magic users and priests do exist but they are rare to the extreme. It is a world where some gods litteraly walk the earth and either kill or help the mortals according to their whims. The world was ravaged by many world shaking event and it is now recuperating from such an event barely. Humans forms the vast majority of the world's population and demi-humans are on the brink of extinction because of man's folly and their own too. Yet, some countries are bright examples of order and goodness but they have suffered from the war too. You can have the LG knight in shining armor fight demons one day only to see him besieged in his castle by his LG neighbor the next because of dispute in territory.

Okay, so how was this accomplished? Is magic dying? Are the gods less present? Are people not innovating? I mean, what are the spells of Tasha, Mordenkainen, Bigby and Melf if magic is not modernizing and evolving?

If nothing important is going on... then why do I care enough to fight for a reprint of this setting?
The world is just recuperating from a major war. People were on their way to find the truths of the past but the war put a major set back on these discoveries. Contrary to other settings. Your players when they reach high level, are a force to be reckoned with. They can be the world changers. They are not minor players, they are the major league. Even in mid level, they get more respect from the people in charge than in any other setting. When the lord that hires you is barely above your level (if he has any). He is not going to talk to you as if you owed him. He will expect respect, but he will give you respect too. If you can kill the dragon plaguing is land and he can't; he's better be nice with you.

Hmm, I could see it. If you wanted to make it more about kingdom building and mass combat, most of the settings have some pretty big 800 lbs gorillas in the room. If Greyhawk doesn't, it does make it more ripe for "this is the setting about founding your own kingdom and fighting your neighbors for resources."
Exactly. There is a lot of room to expand kingdoms or even to create your own.

Remove ads