D&D General For the Love of Greyhawk: Why People Still Fight to Preserve Greyhawk

Aldarc

Legend
That is why someone can be a scholar of only a single author, because the majority of writing alludes to past works, present concerns, and suppositions of the future. Meaning that is you want absolutely concrete understanding of everything about a work you need to devote a lot of time, effort and knowledge to that pursuit.
Thankfully that is not actually the case.

Maybe my position keeps getting distorted though, because I never claimed I could have 100% accurate understanding of Greyhawk. I just said I could understand it well enough to have a discussion.
You don't have to read the inspirational materials for Greyhawk, but hopefully you would have at least read the primary sources on Greyhawk.

Don't need to have read the Bible to understand what a Redemption Arc is, even though the concept of redemption in Western Canon likely found its roots in the Biblical texts (which found their roots in older stories (Which found their roots in older stories))
To be honest, I'm not sure if I would not look to the Bible as the literary origins of the redemption arc. The main thing they have in common is use of the word "redemption."

Then I heard of the novels, but I wasn't able to put them on a Christmas list (my most reliable way to afford new books) because most of them are in Dutch I believe it was, and my family might have accidentally bought the original language copies.
Polish.

I think the odds of your relatives finding a untranslated version in a bookshop are extremely slim outside Eastern Europe.

Hussar

Legend
Ok, just to weigh in here because it's something I see a lot of. If someone has not read the primary sources, has not read the secondary sources and is basing their opinion on the opinions of others, that opinion really doesn't carry a lot of weight. I mean, this is what we saw all the time in the Edition Wars where people who had not played 4e, had not read the 4e books, were parroting the same criticisms of 4e that others were making and simply elevating the level of frustration in the conversation.

At some point, you have to be responsible for RTFM. Not just cherry picking snippets from wiki articles, but, actually spending the time to gain a background in the issue (whatever the issue is) before putting forth an opinion if you expect that opinion to be taken seriously.

It doesn't matter if we're talking about something as minor as an RPG setting or something as important as inclusivity in RPG books. If you (and I mean this as a general you as in all people) will not do the necessary background reading before forming an opinion, do not expect to be taken seriously.

I mean, this is what we saw all the time in the Edition Wars where people who had not played 4e, had not read the 4e books, were parroting the same criticisms of 4e that others were making and simply elevating the level of frustration in the conversation.

That was mostly a construct to dismiss; writing people off that don't like 4th Ed as having never played it, or never having played it properly or what-have-you and assigning its failures to everything except the game itself.

But I also think the impulse to silence people whose opinions we shouldn't listen to is often misplaced, because sometimes people can surprise us. I never block people, because even people I have had some very frustrating conversations with have, at a later date, said something I agreed with.

I think blocking certain people is healthy. I used to not do it, when I was young, but some conversations aren't productive and one surprise in a few years isn't typically worth it - a broken clock is right twice a day. Doesn't mean you should keep a broken clock on your wall. However, I don't think I'm suggesting silencing re: opinions, just that they vary in value and can be appraised on that basis. People are free to express them, but if, say, someone comes to me telling me he's never read Planescape beyond the section in the DMG2 in 4E, and he thinks the Factions sound like they were a dumb idea and he's glad they're gone, I'm going to know that opinion isn't worth listening to.

Aldarc

Legend
That was mostly a construct to dismiss; writing people off that don't like 4th Ed as having never played it, or never having played it properly or what-have-you and assigning its failures to everything except the game itself.
Not all constructs are artificial, and there were fair number of critics who evidenced a lack of firsthand experience with the game, whether with reading or playing the game. A few of my gaming friends were the sort of people that Hussar describes: they were parroting online points against 4e but would crumble when pressed to discuss their knowledge of game basics or experience. So maybe your opinion here is more of an artificial construct use to dismiss contrary opinions than what Hussar posted.

Edit: This is not to say that 4e was without flaws or that no critics of 4e had firsthand experience with the game but, rather, simply to point out that there was actually a fair number of people who lacked firsthand knowledge of the game in discussions parroting misconceptions with talking points, and it showed. We still occasionally get this here in a number of 4e threads, wherein about a third of discussion often feels devoted to dispelling popular misconceptions.

Last edited:

On what basis would you rule Witcher is not S&S?

I wouldn't "rule" it anything. I'd say, in my opinion (which is not a "ruling" as a I am not a judge being presented a case or the like), it's kind of its own thing, which is clearly quite similar to S&S, and derives from S&S, but has a bit of hard-boiled detective fiction and epic fantasy (particularly the latter in the games/TV show, which is how most people are familiar with it) going on as well. I'd be comfortable putting it within a very broadly defined S&S.

That may have been true on some boards. It wasn't really true that it was a "construct" here, though. A lot of vocal critics of 4E openly stated that they hadn't played it, which was refreshingly transparent, but obviously meant that a lot of the arguments involved were very hard to actually have, because many critics couldn't substantiate points or expand on them. That's actually what really showed me that a lot of opinions are really low-value/low-effort (and caused me to question some of my own less-supportable opinions as a result).

A particularly common and dubious argument I saw was that 4E was "basically the same thing as World of Warcraft"*. If that sounds vague, it's because this was indeed a nebulous and ill-defined talking point, and the vast majority of people who used it had never played World of Warcraft (again, this was openly admitted). In some cases they'd played neither WoW nor 4E, by their own admission, but were repeating this talking point! I also heard it from a couple of people IRL (one of whom later joined my 4E group!), who had equally never played 4E or WoW.

It was kind of fascinating, from a cultural viewpoint. It's not a reaction I'd seen much re: RPGs before. I'd seen plenty of edition wars, before, but they tended to be fought over very specific rules, or setting changes, which were well-understood (the one major exception being 1E-2E D&D which had elements of that, but seemed to mostly be concerned with nebulous perceived changes of tone, a lot of which couldn't really be pinned down).

Indeed, talking of people not having played 4E but criticising it, that was a major drag in a lot of discussions about, because people frequently asserted opinions about AEDU or roles, or the like, without actually understanding how they worked, so you'd get these massive tangents where you were trying to explain to someone how AEDU actually worked. The worst was when you got someone who'd never played 4E or WoW, but was insisting, for example, that Defenders in 4E functioned mechanically nigh-identically to Tanks in WoW. And I do mean they were literally insisting that the mechanics themselves were similar, not that the end result was (which it wasn't, but that's another story). This didn't happen just once, either, but a lot of times.

This is part of why I'm disinclined to attempt to explain things in detail to people who don't want to make any effort to learn about stuff themselves, but want to argue about it. Several times I spent a lot of effort explaining the massive difference in approach and functionality between the Defender's ability to punish people for hitting his friends, and the monster-magnet rodeo-clown approach of MMO Tanks, with detailed explanations of the mechanics, and just got "Nah they're the same" or a similar response. In one case, I think on another board, I had a guy tell me I was lying and that 4E literally had a WoW-like "aggro" mechanic, but that was a lone nutter I think.

We still occasionally get this here in a number of 4e threads, wherein about a third of discussion often feels devoted to dispelling popular misconceptions.

Yeah it's amazing how people will remember some false claim re: 4E, often an easily-disproven one re: mechanics, years later, and blithely repeat it as if it were gospel truth.

* = A much more nuanced and interesting thing was actually going on, which I think this clumsy assertion actually prevented proper discussion of, which was that WotC was hoping to make 4E fully playable online, and that having tablets/laptops at the table instead of character sheets would be desirable.

Last edited:

Not all constructs are artificial, and there were fair number of critics who evidenced a lack of firsthand experience with the game, whether with reading or playing the game. A few of my gaming friends were the sort of people that Hussar describes: they were parroting online points against 4e but would crumble when pressed to discuss their knowledge of game basics or experience. So maybe your opinion here is more of an artificial construct use to dismiss contrary opinions than what Hussar posted.

Edit: This is not to say that 4e was without flaws or that no critics of 4e had firsthand experience with the game but, rather, simply to point out that there was actually a fair number of people who lacked firsthand knowledge of the game in discussions parroting misconceptions with talking points, and it showed. We still occasionally get this here in a number of 4e threads, wherein about a third of discussion often feels devoted to dispelling popular misconceptions.

Be that as it may and I doubt that it was; I have no interest in rehashing the tired rhetoric from the days of 2008-2015.

Remove ads