Level Up (A5E) For Your Consideration: Other Origins and Heritages

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
In the heritage playtest there are the legacy 'races' as well as Orc and Tiefling. Was there thought about the various giantkin - ogre, goliath, firbolg, half-giants, etc? I've actually combined two into the goliath as a race and then mountain (standard goliath) and firbolg (forest) as subraces in my current homebrew

What about goblinoids? The standard gobbo becomes more and more popular every years.

What about 'taurs? Mainly I want wemics back

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thought? Yes, there was thought about everything. We went with the PHB selection because what we're making is a version of 5E. The thought is we might add an extra heritage as a surprise in the book.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
In the heritage playtest there are the legacy 'races' as well as Orc and Tiefling. Was there thought about the various giantkin - ogre, goliath, firbolg, half-giants, etc? I've actually combined two into the goliath as a race and then mountain (standard goliath) and firbolg (forest) as subraces in my current homebrew

What about goblinoids? The standard gobbo becomes more and more popular every years.

What about 'taurs? Mainly I want wemics back
If they go with goblinoid races I'm going to hope they go with eberron's eusocial races calling themselves "Dar" with an actual civilization as the model rather than the kill it quick standardgoblinoid race

Faolyn

(she/her)
I agree that there should be goblinoids in the main book, preferably as a single heritage with goblin and hobgoblin as the main gifts, rather than having them as separate heritages. Bugbears are kind of separate enough from the other two that they could be a third gift, or they could be not included. I'm not sure what the fourth gift should be, though. Most of the goblinoids in D&D are just variants of these three.

(I'm suddenly thinking gift is a strange word to replace subrace--maybe use ancestry or lineage instead).

Cultures could include "City/Hive" (for goblinoids who have grown up in Gobbotopia and think of themselves as part of the whole, as Tetrasodium mentioned); "Sneaky/Shadow" (for those who have learned to sneak and steal in order to get by, possibly in other peoples' cities); "Wild" for those who live in the wild lands and lead a desperate life of hunting whatever they can while avoiding the monsters that can kill them); and "Studied" (for those who are working to perfect an aspect of their being or their understanding of a topic of knowledge--to represent the fact that in 5e, Hobs get +2 Int). Obviously, there are probably a lot more options for cultures, and the names I came up with kind of suck.

I also want there to be a generic anthro heritage, where the various gifts can represent cat-folk, dog/wolf/fox-folk, rat-folk, and one other--cattle, goat, bear, whatever.

Remove ads