FORBES: Out of the Abyss preview

Article here. Mostly just covers NPCs in the campaign and that's it, along with respective portraits. Have to say, so far it seems like I was watching a Saturday morning cartoon reading about them all Is that bad? This looks absolutely amazing to me.

Article here. Mostly just covers NPCs in the campaign and that's it, along with respective portraits. Have to say, so far it seems like I was watching a Saturday morning cartoon reading about them all

Is that bad? This looks absolutely amazing to me.

Wik

First Post
Same the Tim Burton thing really kind of nullifed his point. As Tim's thing is Dark and Whimsical.

There was never any "point". It's just someone who will always complain. We have a phrase for this in my business, but I can't repeat it here. A grandma friendly version would be something like "If Wotc were handing out chocolate bars, he'd complain that they were too cheap to hand out ice cream".

Sacrosanct

Legend
Looking at everything released so far about OotA, and it seems clear to me that they are going very much for a Pan's Labyrinth feel, rather than an Alice in Wonderland feel. Look at the NPCs and then watch the trailer. If someone thinks Pan's Labyrinth is too whimsical and not dark enough? Wow. I don't want to imagine what kinds of games you play ;)

Corpsetaker

First Post
Trying to show that you don't have a leg to stand on.

And if you're not getting that, well...

And if I'm trying too hard, I guess that makes me, what? Lame and goofy? Oh dear me.

Luckily, at least you get that it's funny. Unluckily, I don't think you're getting the joke.

Think of it this way - if you don't like what wotc is doing, that's fine. That's not unusual. But have you noted that even if the people here agree with you (which is totally a valid opinion) that they're a bit nervous siding with you?

Actually I got two firm legs to stand on and obviously you don't get that the joke is on you.

I didn't make a mistake in my analysis because Tim Burton is known for several things, not just his Beetlejuice humour. If you didn't notice, I specifically added "splash" of Tim Burton for a reason which you and a few others obviously didn't get.

Tim Burton is also known for is darkness, eerie scenery, and just plain weirdness. Those are the parts of Burton that would I was referring too. You are coming off as a desperate defender of Wizards of the Coast who is just trying to discredit my opinion.

You have your opinion and I have mine. This comes off as very commercial and they obviously think that weirdness and dark needs to be humourous. I like to watch Beetlejuice on the screen, not play that kind of game in D&D. I would rather just play Changling.

I don't want the story to make me laugh with goofy NPC's with horrible names. That's why I can't make it through a Salvatore book.

Wik

First Post
Actually I got two firm legs to stand on and obviously you don't get that the joke is on you.

What joke? If there's a joke on me, where are you making it?

And I'm sorry, but you don't have a leg to stand on. You have a valid opinion, but the way you are going about stating it is, well, hilariously awful.

I didn't make a mistake in my analysis because Tim Burton is known for several things, not just his Beetlejuice humour.

That's right. He's also known for Alice in Wonderland (Which you were complaining OotA had too much of, and then said Burton should have written it). He's also known for Edward Scissorhands. Or Big Fish. Or Nightmare Before Christmas. Or Sweeney Todd. I've seen his films.

Dark Whimsy is pretty much the heart of it. Not horror.

OotA, as currently presented, is more Dark Whimsy. Not horror.

You can see why mentioning his name was kind of a silly move on your part.

If you didn't notice, I specifically added "splash" of Tim Burton for a reason which you and a few others obviously didn't get.

Well, to me, "a splash of Burton" would be a "dark game with a touch of the whimsical". Which is exactly what you're complaining about OotA having.

How're those legs treating you? Still standing?

Tim Burton is also known for is darkness, eerie scenery, and just plain weirdness.

Don't forget Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter.

Those are the parts of Burton that would I was referring too. You are coming off as a desperate defender of Wizards of the Coast who is just trying to discredit my opinion.

"Desperate Defender"? Nah, not really. I'm coming off as someone who sees Bollocks and has fun pointing it out and laughing.

For what it's worth, as several others (including the head moderator of this site!) have mentioned, you are coming off as someone who hates everything wotc does. Which begs the question - why are you even commenting? And, as asked of you earlier, what would you like to see them do? Instead of pointing out how awful and "appalling" wotc's actions are, maybe you could say what you'd like to see them do? Constructive Criticism and all that?

You have your opinion and I have mine. This comes off as very commercial and they obviously think that weirdness and dark needs to be humourous.

Commercial? Oh dear lord. A company releases a book and wants to make money. Shame on them. They are not trying to hit a market of "Corpsetaker". They're trying to hit a market of "thousands of individual fans". And good for them.

Also, are you familiar with "Grimdark"? It's just annoyingly dark and depressing. They have a niche market, and wotc knows not to target it anymore. They tend to just draw laughter from fans older than, say, sixteen.

I like to watch Beetlejuice on the screen, not play that kind of game in D&D. I would rather just play Changling.

Then PLAY Changeling. Don't go into a thread saying "man, Wotc are appalling because their games aren't like Changeling!"

I don't want the story to make me laugh with goofy NPC's with horrible names. That's why I can't make it through a Salvatore book.

The goofy names are why you can't make it through the book? Not exactly the first reason I'd pick to avoid his work. But hey, to each their own.

And, as we've pointed out time and time again, "Goofy Names" are a big part of D&D's history. The game is just trying to have a bit of fun. If you don't like this small, small part of the game, you can change it and move right along.

Instead, you call wotc "appalling" and go on a rant as if they're the destroyers of all that's good in society. And then make an argument that is so inherently flawed and skewed that people are left shaking their heads in wonder.

As I've said before - your opinion is absolutely valid. But the way you go about is ass-backwards, and makes even the people that want to agree with you hesitate. If I didn't know any better, and if this weren't something as silly as a D&D forum, I'd accuse you of being a professional strawman.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Looking at everything released so far about OotA, and it seems clear to me that they are going very much for a Pan's Labyrinth feel, rather than an Alice in Wonderland feel. Look at the NPCs and then watch the trailer. If someone thinks Pan's Labyrinth is too whimsical and not dark enough? Wow. I don't want to imagine what kinds of games you play ;)

I want Guillermo del Toro to direct a D&D movie.

:(

Wik

First Post
I wonder how many people will buy this campaign and join the demon lords to kill Drizz't. Gotta admit, I'm tempted.

Yeah, the thought had crossed my mind as well. Personally, I think it'd be funnier to force a player to play him. And then tell him "you're not angsty enough".

wedgeski

Adventurer
I want Guillermo del Toro to direct a D&D movie.

:(
He did, it was called "Hellboy 2". :)

Fey prince on the ascension. Terrible army in slumber, waiting to be awakened. Team of miscreants, saving the world. From the moment I stepped out of the cinema, I thought I'd just watched a great D&D movie.

Remove ads

Remove ads