Forge of Fury mistake...spoilers

Dr. Zoom

First Post
I believe I found a mistake in the WotC adventure path "The Forge of Fury." Anyone playing in this adventure should stop reading this post.

The orc wight in area 42 is still wearing the half-plate armor he possessed in life. It seems, however, that his stats are unaffected by the armor. It lists his AC as 22. But this includes his +1 dex. Half-plate armor has a max dex of +0, so his AC should be 21 (+4 natural, +7 armor).

Also, the armor has a -7 armor check penalty, but his skills remain unaffected in the stat block. For example, his move silently check should be +9 instead of the listed +16. A wight's normal speed is 30 feet, but it should be 20 feet with the heavy armor.

Has anyone else noticed this when running this adventure?

Epametheus

First Post
I think people found the presence of a Roper in the module to be a much bigger issue...

When the party I was playing in ran into that thing, the only reason we lived was because the DM assumed that severing tentacles counted against the Roper's HP. Other groups have had TPKs involving that thing.

My own DM didn't catch the error with the wight.

There are probably a few other errors along the lines of what you found.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
I usually have my MM open during encounters, just so I am sure to use the creature properly. I do not trust stat blocks to have everything I might need. That is how I noticed the wight had a +1 dex bonus to its AC which should not be added because of the half-plate armor.

Epametheus: The roper encounter is tough. The module itself warns the DM not to use it if he believes the characters are not strong enough, or if a parley is something they never do. The best way through the encounter is to parley. Combat is extremely dangerous. With that said, my group rarely parleys, but I kept the encounter because they were all 5th level and my group has 7 characters. It was tough, but they succeeded with no deaths.

med stud: That is why I always have my MM open. For key encounters, I always study the stat blocks, MM, PH, and DMG closely to make sure I play the bad guys properly. This ensures a good time by all and makes the players earn their XPs.

Blackthorne

First Post
In FoF, it says that...

SPOILERS
...Nightscale can move her speed and make a full attack in one round. Yeah, right.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Yeah, that is another mistake. I remember that was pointed out on the boards here soon after it was first released. My group just had a small encounter with Nightscale where the dragon used its breath weapon to "melt" a door and blast a couple characters behind it with its acid breath. It flew away before anyone could react. One of the characters lost a magical handaxe in the attack (he rolled a 1 on his save and failed the item save, too). I am looking forward to see how they handle the assault on its lair.

Madfox

First Post
I did not notice the mistakes of the wight, but then again it hardly matters. The wight will not leave the shrine, it will not try to sneak nor did it need to move more then 20 ft in my campaign.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
I would not say it hardly matters. The skills are the least likely to matter in a straight up combat, but speed and AC always matter in combat. Even 1 point of AC can make a large differance, especially when we are talking about an AC of 22. At any rate, I just found it surprising since this was a special encounter where a wight wore armor. You would think they would double check that the stats were correct in a special case.

Remove ads