D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

elandy

First Post
So here's an initial layout and some of the things that you will be able to customise.

- A subclass is dependent on the base class for features and the level they are gained
- For each subclass "feature" a level requirement is needed and in some cases details or a dropdown selection is provided.
- Bonus spells (e.g. Domain, Oath etc.) are assigned by the base class - for example if you're a cleric, they will be domain spells, if you're a paladin they will be oath spells etc.
- Weapon proficiencies are assigned a single level requirement for all selected
- Armor proficiencies are assigned a single level requirement for all selected

Any comments on other stuff that's not shown below are very welcomed. Can't guarantee they'll be implemented but it'd be good to hear feedback during the development stage.

It's coming along pretty well - still some major work to go.
First of all, congratulations on this great sheet. It's awesome! A great job indeed.

I have to tell you that the subclass customization option looks great. I have a couple of questions because I'm interested in using it to create the spell-less ranger from UA. Will there be an option on the subclass to eliminate the spell-casting features? And will it be possible to gain the new features without loosing the basic ranger ones? (as I think it's intended for that variant class).

Thank you for your great work, and looking forward to see the customizable subclass in action!

Great work!!!

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
First of all, congratulations on this great sheet. It's awesome! A great job indeed.

I have to tell you that the subclass customization option looks great. I have a couple of questions because I'm interested in using it to create the spell-less ranger from UA. Will there be an option on the subclass to eliminate the spell-casting features? And will it be possible to gain the new features without loosing the basic ranger ones? (as I think it's intended for that variant class).

Thank you for your great work, and looking forward to see the customizable subclass in action!

Great work!!!

Thanks for the feedback, great to hear your enjoying using the generator. The custom Subclass will have the feature gained from the base Class, in the case of the Ranger Class it has spells and therefore spell can't be removed with a Subclass (they can be added though). Currently no plan to do custom Classes

elandy

First Post
Thanks for the feedback, great to hear your enjoying using the generator. The custom Subclass will have the feature gained from the base Class, in the case of the Ranger Class it has spells and therefore spell can't be removed with a Subclass (they can be added though). Currently no plan to do custom Classes
It sounds logical. I can always ignore the spell page and the spellcasting line on the class features (no big deal), but I think I misunderstood how the new subclass features would work... I thought that they would replace existing class features at the appropriate lvl, but now I think that the new customizable features would be added on top of the existing features, am I right? (Not having the sheet yet makes it difficult to fully understand how it works).

Sorry for my english and for the inconveniences.

Keep your great work!!!

asagar

First Post
Thanks again for this amazing tool.
I had taken your advice to use the variable names that are open to users and generate from it a new tab, which I can organize to my specific needs.
It works great and very useful.
I had encountered a problem when I tried to prepare a custom tab for the character equipment. I can copy the equipment itself from its location in CSII, but I cannot get its location and weight. The total weight is also not a global variable.
Will it be possible to generate global lists for the actual equipment carried on the person/off the person and a matching list for the location, quantity and weight of this equipment, plus the total weight as global variable?
Other items that will be very appreciated if they can become a global variable/lists are the number of allowed cantrips, spell slots per level, number of allowed prepared spells (per character class) and spell save DC (per character class).

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
It sounds logical. I can always ignore the spell page and the spellcasting line on the class features (no big deal), but I think I misunderstood how the new subclass features would work... I thought that they would replace existing class features at the appropriate lvl, but now I think that the new customizable features would be added on top of the existing features, am I right? (Not having the sheet yet makes it difficult to fully understand how it works).

Sorry for my english and for the inconveniences.

Keep your great work!!!

Each Class has a Subclass, for example Fighters have Archetypes, Sorcerers have Origin etc. What the custom subclass does is a user will be able to customize the Archetype of a Figher or Origin of a Sorcerer. Each Class has a specific starting level for selecting a Subclass (e.g. for Clerics, the Domain is selected at Level 1) and has Subclass features gained a certain levels (for Cleric, the Divine Domain features are at 1st, 2nd, 6th, 8th and 17th). The customer Subclass will automatically show "Feature" levels which will depends on the Class selected. There is a fair bit of automation to make the data entry easier so the information in the Character Sheets are displayed correct and easily. You'll be also able to do some fancier stuff for features by using formulas in the Custom Subclass feature fields.

Once v1.61 you'll get to play around with it. I'll probably release a test version of the Custom Subclass (with one subclass) first and get feedback on bugs etc before implementing the other 2 custom subclasses.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Thanks again for this amazing tool.
I had taken your advice to use the variable names that are open to users and generate from it a new tab, which I can organize to my specific needs.
It works great and very useful.
I had encountered a problem when I tried to prepare a custom tab for the character equipment. I can copy the equipment itself from its location in CSII, but I cannot get its location and weight. The total weight is also not a global variable.
Will it be possible to generate global lists for the actual equipment carried on the person/off the person and a matching list for the location, quantity and weight of this equipment, plus the total weight as global variable?
Other items that will be very appreciated if they can become a global variable/lists are the number of allowed cantrips, spell slots per level, number of allowed prepared spells (per character class) and spell save DC (per character class).

Very cool! Glad you're working with the named variables and finding them useful. Let me look into your requests for additional named variables, keep them coming as it would be great to have a more complete list of these so that anyone can create their own sheet and just copy it to the new version of the character generator when it's released.

I'd be interested to see a screenshot of your character sheet(s) if you are okay with sharing!

Cheers
ForgedAnvil

Wargamer315

First Post
This is by far the most amazing character generator I have ever seen, and 'beer money' is on the way! I have one major suggestion. On the Character Sheet II page, I highly suggest changing the sort order of all the items to A-Z. This way, instead of scrolling down and searching for each and every item of interest, when adding a new item, just typing the first few letters of the item, it would pop up. Thoughts?

Or... am I doing something wrong? ;)

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
This is by far the most amazing character generator I have ever seen, and 'beer money' is on the way! I have one major suggestion. On the Character Sheet II page, I highly suggest changing the sort order of all the items to A-Z. This way, instead of scrolling down and searching for each and every item of interest, when adding a new item, just typing the first few letters of the item, it would pop up. Thoughts?

Or... am I doing something wrong? ;)

Thanks for the feedback, awesome that you're loving the character generator!

For the drop down list in the Equipment section on CSII, the list is designed into sections as you would see each table in the PH and the DMG. The listed designed this way to avoid mixing standard adventuring equipment with weapons, armor and magical items.

Excel doesn't support the typing of the first few characters and then show a reduced list based on those initial characters, that would be a cool feature though. It is possible to type the item manually, but requires that the exact spelling is used.

Owen Guthrie

First Post
Hey Folks,
I'm eager to try the tool. I seem to have gotten the .xlsm file successfully onto my iPad via iCloud Drive and now it doesn't seem to want to play nice. I can open fine in Excel, but doesn't seem to want to save or enable macros. Do I have to have an Office 365 account to use?

Remove ads