• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

Hydraaa

First Post
There are two filters in CSIII just above the "CAST" and "RANGE" headers of the cantrip list. These can be used to remove the blank spaces and/or show prepared spells (including rituals) only. One or both of these might be set, clear both filters to see the entire spell sheet 

The first one seemed to fix it, all filters were saved off somehow, however I can not reset the filter to all fields being unchecked as it is coming in the beta 7 download. But now all levels are showing.

Now to updated the sheet to allow for my wizard to gather all the spells (not enough slots on spellcasting tab to display all available wizard spells) and be able to have all her spells showing in the spell book.

Also noticed that if blanks only is chosen and spells only is not, and if there is spell known, the level header line does not display. if you do not know spells of the level, the level header displays.
Also spells only (with one cantrip known) is not showing the cantrip header.
Actually i think the header display issue is when line 1 of each level spell is left blank.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
The first one seemed to fix it, all filters were saved off somehow, however I can not reset the filter to all fields being unchecked as it is coming in the beta 7 download. But now all levels are showing.

Now to updated the sheet to allow for my wizard to gather all the spells (not enough slots on spellcasting tab to display all available wizard spells) and be able to have all her spells showing in the spell book.

Also noticed that if blanks only is chosen and spells only is not, and if there is spell known, the level header line does not display. if you do not know spells of the level, the level header displays.
Also spells only (with one cantrip known) is not showing the cantrip header.
Actually i think the header display issue is when line 1 of each level spell is left blank.

Thanks for the feedback. The level header only displays if you have a spell in the first line after the spell level header which makes sense. For wizards, you don't automatically get every spell in the wizards spell list as you gain levels. Some classes, like a Cleric for example, do and the sheet is designed to fit those spellcasters compete list of spells. Adding additional wizard spells to a wizards spell book is more challenging and will take a more adventuring time and effort, the PH states "you might find other spells during your adventures. You could discover a spell recorded on a scroll in an evil wizard's chest, for example, or in a dusty tome in an ancient library."

Spellcasters are rarer in encounters, the MM only has a small number of monsters that can cast spells and of those some cast at will or spellcasting is a feature/trait that doesn't have a spellbook / scroll requirement. The higher the level spell the rarer it is based on the DMG. A few examples below:

Scroll (4th Level) - Rare
Scroll (5th Level) - Rare
Scroll (6th Level) - Very Rare
Scroll (7th Level) - Very Rare
Scroll (8th Level) - Very Rare
Scroll (9th Level) - Legendary

There is cost and time involved to write the spell into your spellbook. From the PH:

"For each level of the spell, the process takes 2 hours and costs 50 gp. The cost represents material components you expend as you experiment with the spell to master it, as well as the fine inks you need to record it. Once you have spent this time and money, you can prepare the spell just like your other spells."

And finally you need to prepare your spells for the day to be able to cast them (except ritual spell). A wizard generally focuses on a school or a few schools of spells that fits their playing style to prepare - it's great to have a large selection of spells to choose from, but some spells are situational and would require some thought in advance to prepare them for the days adventuring - many times you'll find playing a wizard that you have the perfect spell in your spellbook for a situation that comes up but it's not prepared and so you've got to think about alternative ways to solve the problem etc.

The original design was to keep the spell lists to 2 pages to cover all spell levels - this can be extended to 3 pages but requires more work. The 2 pages generally meet the requirements for all single class spellcasters and some multiclass spellcasters (noting that multiclass spellcasters are limited to the maximum spell levels achievable)

After the bit of background, where are you finding the limitation on the number spells for Wizards? Which levels and how many spells lines are needed in addition?

Hydraaa

First Post
...For wizards, you don't automatically get every spell in the wizards spell list as you gain levels. Some classes, like a Cleric for example, do and the sheet is designed to fit those spellcasters compete list of spells. Adding additional wizard spells to a wizards spell book is more challenging and will take a more adventuring time and effort,...

Spellcasters are rarer in encounters, ...

There is cost and time involved to write the spell into your spellbook. From the PH:
And finally you need to prepare your spells for the day to be able to cast them (except ritual spell). A wizard generally focuses on a school or a few schools of spells that fits their playing style to prepare - it's great to have a large selection of spells to choose from, but some spells are situational and would require some thought in advance to prepare them for the days adventuring - many times you'll find playing a wizard that you have the perfect spell in your spellbook for a situation that comes up but it's not prepared and so you've got to think about alternative ways to solve the problem etc.

The original design was to keep the spell lists to 2 pages to cover all spell levels - this can be extended to 3 pages but requires more work. The 2 pages generally meet the requirements for all single class spellcasters and some multiclass spellcasters (noting that multiclass spellcasters are limited to the maximum spell levels achievable)

After the bit of background, where are you finding the limitation on the number spells for Wizards? Which levels and how many spells lines are needed in addition?

It is more theory at this time, as my player is trying to replicate her 3.5 collegiate elf generalist wizard, so she gets more auto learned spells on leveling up. Actually she is more interested in the mystic at this time (so I am coding that in to work). It may be that I need to make the Spellforge equivalent for her to use; like this sheet is the Heroforge equivalent. Also WOTC will be adding more spells (37 wiz from EE, 4 wiz from SCAG)with most of the splat books and modules that come out causing problems with growth on the number of spells to be selected for the sheet. (Most of my wizard-type spellcasters usually do have a spellbook nearby that can be looted but usually only has no more then 1 or 2 unknown spells.)
Current numbers of wizard spells in sheet are Cant 27, lev 1 34, lv 2 41, lv 3 35, lv 4 27, lv 5 26, lv 6 24, lv 7 16, lv 8 14, lv 9 12. Also custom spells and feats add a few more to this list.
So currently a wizard trying to collect all spells will not be able to list them on a custom spell sheet due to restrictions on spellcasting tab for spells known (a unwise wizard might still want to level-learn only new level 2 spells even at wizard level 17 to have a complete mastery). As you said all other classes(cleric) have enough slots for their potentially known spells.
I was going to do a DYO set of sheets based on CSIII to be able to show all the spells known for a wizard that is into that and wanted to use this sheet to be able to have a hoarder's spellbook.

However adding up to 25 lines to each spell on Spellcasting for a rare need is probably not feasible. It does appear there are about 85 spells lines on the 2nd sheet so a 3rd sheet would probably work for now, but in a year or two may not if more spells are released.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Hello,

if a wizard picks Illusion as an arcane tradition, it seems to me that minor illusion isn't automatically added to the list of cantrips. Am I missing something or is it supposed to be added manually?

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Hello,

if a wizard picks Illusion as an arcane tradition, it seems to me that minor illusion isn't automatically added to the list of cantrips. Am I missing something or is it supposed to be added manually?

All cantrips and spells are added manually, though I'm thinking to add detail below the cantrip list to show certain class or subclass details that are required

Dannyboy7702

First Post
Speaking of wizards, I am not sure if this has been addressed or not, but I am unable to select any of my custom spells (doesn't matter what level they are) on the spellcasting sheet. I made sure that the class is selected on the custom sheet. Additionally, the spells do show up in the "Spell Lookup" section on the spellcasting sheet.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Speaking of wizards, I am not sure if this has been addressed or not, but I am unable to select any of my custom spells (doesn't matter what level they are) on the spellcasting sheet. I made sure that the class is selected on the custom sheet. Additionally, the spells do show up in the "Spell Lookup" section on the spellcasting sheet.

Good point, when I added the additional custom spells a bug was introduced. Fixed in the next build to appear on the correct dropdown list. For now just type the spell name in the cell and it should work :)

GravGunner

Villager
On the V2 Beta 7 sheet: The name of the second Mount/Pet is set to the 'Title' of the animal, not the given 'name'.

Edit: The Cell(DL203) is however set to seemingly the right function(Companion2Named)

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
On the V2 Beta 7 sheet: The name of the second Mount/Pet is set to the 'Title' of the animal, not the given 'name'.

Edit: The Cell(DL203) is however set to seemingly the right function(Companion2Named)

Thanks for the feedback, found this issue a few days ago and fixed in the next build :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads