• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

basilforth

Explorer
improving readability

I am loving the generator. Been so useful and stress free getting players from 4th ed to 5th. The only thing i cant figure out is how to make the text size larger when printing. I understand it needs to compress to fit on a page but most of my players (and myself) are getting older and cant read the smaller text with ease.

I hope there is an easy solution to this.

I can see this asked elsewhere (if it has direct me there)

Some additional details.....

I have been experimenting with larger print sizes. I have created a relatively simple character, a 6th level wizards. I have uploaded pdfs of three different formats of the 'Character Summary' tab:

A - regular file format - using portrait orientation print settings - no changes to print settings required

B - regular file format - using landscape orientation print settings - the only change is to change orientation to landscape

C - custom file format - using landscape orientation print settings - please see below for the changes made to show this version

Custom file format changes using Excel Professional Plus 2010. These steps assume a moderate level of comfort with Excel.

step zero - make a back-up of your file! ;)

1) Change to landscape orientation
2) unprotect the 'Character Summary' tab
3) View menu - enable 'headings' checkbox
4) delete empty excel rows spaces between Actions and Spells.
5) Select and copy the merged cell "Race Backgrounds, Class and Feats' on the right hand side of the page.
6) Paste the selected area as text only to a Word Document and edit the text, cleaning out repetitive words and tightening word layout
7) Paste back to the Character Summary tab as 'text only'. This will wreck the formula in this area, so make sure you have your back-up.
8) Edit the text inside of the formula bar in Excel, adding bold and underlines.
9) will likely take some tweaking, especially if you are new to tinkering with Excel.

Attachments

• A - v2.22 Character Summary - default Portrait.pdf
    86.9 KB · Views: 127
  • B - v2.22 Character Summary - default landscape.pdf
    103.6 KB · Views: 112
  • C - v2.22 Character Summary - custom landscape.pdf
    104 KB · Views: 156

Timtumm

Explorer
Longterm planning

One of the things I like to do (like many) is to plan my character till 20th level. I do this by setting the exp to 355000 and having a ball. Then I set the exp back to 0 and play at first level. The sheet however adds all the stats from levels I don't have. For example, I am 1st level, and at level 4, I was going to pick up 2 stat points. It should not give me those points until level 4 (but it gives them to me now).

Another thing that would really help is to ungray options I should have. I routinely have to select valid options (like sorcerer subclass). They should be dark and pull my eye towards them.

Conandar

Explorer
One of the things I like to do (like many) is to plan my character till 20th level. I do this by setting the exp to 355000 and having a ball. Then I set the exp back to 0 and play at first level. The sheet however adds all the stats from levels I don't have. For example, I am 1st level, and at level 4, I was going to pick up 2 stat points. It should not give me those points until level 4 (but it gives them to me now).

I, too, like to plan as if my characters will reach 20th level (a feat of which I have achieved just once while playing 5th edition). To do this I use CS5. The first line is typically a "Summary", such as "Variant Human 20 Rogue (Swashbuckler) Feat: Dual Wielder". After that I simply list each level and what class and sub-abilities are gained at that level, along with notes for things that may not be obvious.

The other option I use is to actually build the character to 20th level and save it with PROPOSED added to the name. Then I have two files for the character: a working sheet and a proposed sheet.
Erol Flyn - Variant Human 1 Rogue.xlsm
Erol Flyn - Variant Human 20 Rogue (Swashbuckler) PROPOSED.xlsm

Last edited:

mboni

Explorer
Hiya FA, another small bug observed:
I'm recreating a warlock that I had in a much older version of your sheet. In the old version, the text description of the Eldritch Blast cantrip (on CSIII) would show the added damage from the Agonizing Blast invocation. Current 2.22 sheet doesn't show that anymore.

mboni

Explorer
Does any version of this Excel tool apply the benefits of a Stone of Good Luck to Saving Throws or Ability Checks? Thanks.

Does any version of this Excel tool apply the benefits of a Booth of Striding and Springing to movement rates? Thanks.

No magic item effects are applied automatically. However, just about everything has an override somewhere, so you can apply effects manually.

Dannyboy7702

First Post
Does any version of this Excel tool apply the benefits of a Booth of Striding and Springing to movement rates? Thanks.

Does any version of this Excel tool apply the benefits of a Stone of Good Luck to Saving Throws or Ability Checks? Thanks.

No there isn't. None of the magic items that affects movement, ability checks, saving throws, AC or any other effects that is added to the gear section on CSII does not update your character stats automatically. The start tab has overrides that allow those changes to be made manually

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads