D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

epithet

Explorer
I am very new here but not new to DnD and totally missed something here. I use dndbeyond because I found it first. I don't have a comparison yet, but so far to create a core character, I have not had to spend any money except to get on the internet. Now for special non core stuff, that does cost money but core character creation does not. I just whipped up a 4th level dragonborn sorcerer with some nice stuff. By no means is this meant to be an advertisement for dndbeyond nor a slam on this resource as I too would have liked to have seen it. I am a web developer and also Excel coder of sorts so it would have been nice to check it out!!

Without spending any money, your character has only one feat available (grappler) and a limited selection of classes and races available. Your dragonborn, for example, could be a draconic bloodline sorcerer, but try making a wild magic or divine soul sorc. Can't do it without buying an entire book.

The subscription becomes necessary if you want more than a few (I think it's four, but I'm not certain) characters. If you wanted to use it to keep track of your characters from a couple of different campaigns, and then build three new ones to help you decide which one you wanted to play, well... too bad.

Honestly, the subscription doesn't bug me much. It isn't a big expense, and it would probably be worth it to have an online character repository with a robust character builder/levelling tool. The part that is a non-starter for me is the idea that I should buy a THIRD copy (hardcover, Fantasy Grounds) of the PH, Volo's, Xanathar's, SCAG, etc. just to be able to use the character options therein on the [fornicating] character builder. Screw that. Also, it is a lie to say that I'd be buying the book... I'd be renting it. Some day there will be a new edition of D&D, and 5e will no longer be supported on D&DB--it is inevitable. Do you think they'll give everyone who "bought" a book on that service a "free" pdf version through the Dungeon Master's Guild? I guess it's possible, but it would surprise the hell out of me.

Look, the D&DB character tool isn't terrible in terms of its design and so forth. If it came populated with all of the character classes and races, well... it would be acceptable. I'm not a big fan of the way it takes you by the hand and tries to impose a particular process on your character generation (which isn't the process I always follow) but it would be usable. For the price, though? Come on, man. I guess if all you want to do is keep track of one dragonborn sorcerer in a campaign without feats, then yeah--the price is right for you. If what you want is to be able to have access to the full range of character options to build several characters, though, then you're getting royally screwed on the deal. Even if you're ok with renting your game books from D&DB, you're still not getting a chargen tool that's worth actually paying for.

Daniel Walker

First Post
Again, just found it and haven't really spent much time on it yet. Was planning on doing a lot more. Though I might be mistaken in that there seemed to be a manual version but again that might still be limited. For me, I do agree with you from what I have seen but I like digital content and it could be a LOT better. Having hardcover books is still AWESOME don't get me wrong there!!

As a web developer, D&DB should have been made as a "Chrome" application so that it does not need to be connected to the internet at all times. Perhaps connect for updates and stuff. That would be fun to build and could run on any device that could run Chrome. All that still goes back to where the line gets drawn on home brew toolsets. I see both sides of the coin so it's a tough nut to crack!

Conandar

Explorer
I can't find an Excel download anywhere. All I see are PDF downloads.

If you are looking for an excel file of ForgedAnvil's character generator, the rats...er, Hasbro lawyers that is, have struck and the generator is no longer available here. Apparently they can't stand any competition for their lackluster (and expensive!) product. Heres to hoping that FA finds another way to distribute his fine tool.

Yes, I know that Hasbro has every legal right to do what they have done, but doing the legal thing is not always the right thing. I believe that this move has caused plenty of ill feelings towards them, and it may well cost them more than they anticipate.

Last edited:

Dannyboy7702

First Post
If you are looking for an excel file of ForgedAnvil's character generator, the rats...er, Hasbro lawyers that is, have struck and the generator is no longer available here. Apparently they can't stand any competition for their lackluster (and expensive!) product. Heres to hoping that FA finds another way to distribute his fine tool.

Yes, I know that Hasbro has every legal right to do what they have done, but doing the legal thing is not always the right thing. I believe that this move has caused plenty of ill feelings towards them, and it may well cost them more than they anticipate.

D&D isn't the only game they have done this to. There is an old TSR game Star Frontier that has a cult like following. There is an individual that distributes material for the game and a week or 2 ago, they were told to stop because something about releasing it again. Who knows. But it seems like hasbro is on the war path.

Last edited:

Remove ads