D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Found a few bugs with v1.53, mostly affecting LibreOffice. Using LibreOffice 4.1.8.2 and Excel 2013.

1. Typing a custom value in "Select or type your own" fields (like Start: Religion/patron/deity) results in an "Invalid value" message.

2. Expertise: Selection pull-downs grayed out even with class selected and proficiencies available.

3. On Start page, AF18 is highlighted in green with Half-Elf or Human (variant) races selected. AK18 also green with Half-Elf race selected and first ability assignment set.

4. Conditional highlighting not working for quantity count cells ("X of Y") in Languages, Feats, and Skills.

5. Start page details box only shows "Err:501" with Half-Elf race selected until the file is closed and reopened.

6. Setting language training box to >0 with INT=0 results in warning about "maximum trained languages equals INT modifier". Where does this limitation come from? Is this a house rule? It's not in the PHB. Also affects Excel.

7. For levels higher than 2, setting the HP dice roll value >1 results in an "Enter valid die roll" error. Workaround is to set it to 1 and enter the difference in the Additional Hit Points box.

Feature requests:

8. Add Dendar and other primordial deities/patrons: forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Primordial

9. Show languages for familiars (Imp, Quasit, Sprite, Pseudodragon). Useful for training and translating via telepathic link.

Thanks for the feedback, which issues are you facing with Excel 2013. I don't use LibreOffice and understand there are limitations with the platform (perhaps most of the issues are observed with LibreOffice?).

6. I think this is from of an earlier version of 5e (play test), it's been removed in v1.54 as I don't see any reference in the PHB

Feature requests

8. Possible
9. Possible

Alyksandrei

Villager
So I was trying to figure it out - how do you select your Expertise skills? Posts here seem to indicate that it calculates correctly, but where is the toggle to choose which skills to apply Expertise to?

Edit: Never mind, I found it...It would be easier to find if they highlighted in yellow when you are allowed to use them, like the Class Level selectors do.

Last edited:

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
So I was trying to figure it out - how do you select your Expertise skills? Posts here seem to indicate that it calculates correctly, but where is the toggle to choose which skills to apply Expertise to?

Edit: Never mind, I found it...It would be easier to find if they highlighted in yellow when you are allowed to use them, like the Class Level selectors do.

What version of Excel are you using? All fields should highlight in yellow when selectable.

Alyksandrei

Villager
2007, I think. And they definitely don't all highlight (like the section the Rogue's Expertise is in). Most of them do, I think, but a few sections don't - also check the Spellcasting tab; I'm not sure they all highlighted properly for me (custom race, Drow/High hybrid with the Cantrip trait).

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
2007, I think. And they definitely don't all highlight (like the section the Rogue's Expertise is in). Most of them do, I think, but a few sections don't - also check the Spellcasting tab; I'm not sure they all highlighted properly for me (custom race, Drow/High hybrid with the Cantrip trait).

Users have had issues with Excel 2007, for unknown reasons some areas of conditional formatting works whilst others do not. I don't have a copy of Excel 2007 to test either. Recommend to move to either Excel 2010 or 2013 (or 2016 preview) - all highlighting is tested and functions as designed.

jhansonxi

First Post
Thanks for the feedback, which issues are you facing with Excel 2013. I don't use LibreOffice and understand there are limitations with the platform (perhaps most of the issues are observed with LibreOffice?).

I'm on Linux so Excel is not available. Only #6 affects Excel.

#1 can be ignored or worked around via the Custom page mostly.

#7 is probably the biggest problem on LibreOffice.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
I'm on Linux so Excel is not available. Only #6 affects Excel.

#1 can be ignored or worked around via the Custom page mostly.

#7 is probably the biggest problem on LibreOffice.

#7 Has data validation, it defines the number range based on it must be a whole number between 1 and the value in the Hit Dice column (e.g. 6 for d6). In Excel you see an error if you type say 7 for d6 stating that the user needs to enter a correct die value.

The tool also works very well on iOS (iPad and iPhone) and Android devices with Excel Mobile, though the reset macro doesn't function (and of course the transfer tool) and the image replacement function is not available in the Excel Mobile versions (as yet?).

Last edited:

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Windows 10 - Excel Mobile and Compatibility

In a few weeks (July 29th) Windows 10 will launch and with that comes Excel Mobile - a free (at least for devices of 10.1" or less) touch friendly version that the ForgedAnvil 5E D&D Character Generator is designed to compatible with from the beginning. For those using iOS and Android these apps are already available free to download and use.

Download for iOS
Download for Android

Limitations with Excel Mobile and the Character Generator
- Macros are not supported (reset sheet and character transfer tool will not work)
- Image replacement is not supported

If you're using Excel Mobile already, it'd be great to hear from you and what you think!

Enjoy and have fun!

Cheers
ForgedAnvil

Last edited:

jhansonxi

First Post
#7 Has data validation, it defines the number range based on it must be a whole number between 1 and the value in the Hit Dice column (e.g. 6 for d6). In Excel you see an error if you type say 7 for d6 stating that the user needs to enter a correct die value.
The problem is that on LO it won't accept any value >1 regardless of HD set.

Remove ads