D&D 5E Forgotten Realms canon question

Slit518

Adventurer
To answer your question, topic creator, you can ask Ed Greenwood on Twitter and he may have an answer for you. He is usually pretty good with that stuff. His Twitter handle is @TheEdVerse .

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
understanding FR canon has been an important part of that (e.g. writing "the island of Chult" would be a misleading faux paus because Chult is an archipelago).
As a matter of fact, during the Spellplague era (4e), Chult was an island.
The rest of the time, Chult has been at the end of a peninsula.

That trivia dealt with, the important point: I concur with the suggestion you ask Ed Greenwood. It's his world and he might have some ideas knocking around that he hasn't put into print.

Quickleaf

Legend
To answer your question, topic creator, you can ask Ed Greenwood on Twitter and he may have an answer for you. He is usually pretty good with that stuff. His Twitter handle is @TheEdVerse .
That trivia dealt with, the important point: I concur with the suggestion you ask Ed Greenwood. It's his world and he might have some ideas knocking around that he hasn't put into print.
Thanks for the tip guys. :) I have a Twitter account, but I'm not too well versed in Twitter etiquette (Twitterquette?). Is the proper way to pose question to create a message and then address that to TheEdVerse? Or do I post a tweet to my account with my question (making sure to keep it under 280 characters) and mention @TheEdVerse?

Al2O3

Explorer
Thanks for the tip guys. :) I have a Twitter account, but I'm not too well versed in Twitter etiquette (Twitterquette?). Is the proper way to pose question to create a message and then address that to TheEdVerse? Or do I post a tweet to my account with my question (making sure to keep it under 280 characters) and mention @TheEdVerse?
You start by mentioning the person you are asking the question. Then you pose the question. If you want examples, go to the profile of whoever you are asking and check their replies to others. That way you can see how they asked the questions.

Quickleaf

Legend
You start by mentioning the person you are asking the question. Then you pose the question. If you want examples, go to the profile of whoever you are asking and check their replies to others. That way you can see how they asked the questions.
Thanks. I tweeted my question to Ed Greenwood and Robert Schwalb...

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
  • 5e assumes a shared multiverse between different campaign settings (as exemplified in the new Eberron book). This suggests that the Nine Hells are the Nine Hells; there is not a Nine Hells (Faerûn verse), a Nine Hells (Oerth verse), a Nine Hells (Krynn verse), etc. It's just the Nine Hells. Similarly with the Astral Plane and Tu'narath.
Actually, I would disagree with this assessment. As far as I can tell... there ARE multiple "Nine Hells". Every single thing in D&D in WotC's "multiverse" theory has infinite multiples of everything. It's due to the top-down meta perspective-- the "Nine Hells" that I use in my campaign is not the same "Nine Hells" that you might use in your campaign is not the same "Nine Hells" that are written about in Descent Into Avernus. Just like standard real-world multiverse theory... every one is just slightly different than each other because each of our games and each person who writes a new book changes things ever-so-slightly. There isn't one set "canon" because it isn't possible to make one.

So that being said... I think to determine whether anything in Scales of War is "official FR canon" (as much as any FR canon can be "official")... easiest and safest way to determine it is whether anything in the AP is directly related or mentioning anything in the Realms. If all you can come up with is that the AP mentions this thing over here as being in the cosmology, and that the Realms also uses that cosmology (and thus the transitive property suggests that if A is in B and C uses B, thus A is in C)... they you're probably barking up the wrong tree in my opinion.

But of course... if your tweet to Ed receives a different opinion, then go with whatever he says. ;)

dave2008

Legend
A couple things that make me wonder about its canonicity...
  • There are examples of articles from Dungeon magazine being considered canon.
I believe all articles in the 4e era of Dungeon and Dragon magazines were considered "canon," at least that is my recollection. So that would makes Scales of War Canon. Did they change anything regarding what happened in SoW in 5e? I don't think we have information on that at this time.

Remove ads