D&D 5E Forgotten Realms: Rising from the Last Realms Shaking Event

teitan

Legend
I looked into it. It's not official, it's not 5e, and it won't be published on dmsguild. So its not what I am looking for. Thanks anyways.
Did you read the link? It says right there... published on DMSguild. Also it’s Greenwood.

Did you read the link? It says right there... published on DMSguild. Also it’s Greenwood.
The link is wrong (yeah, yeah, I know, but no joke. The OP in the link is mistaken. Notice how Greenwood doesn't confirm anything about DM's Guild). It's not by Greenwood, it's for 3.5, and it probably will be released just like Under Illefarn Anew did (hosted on Candlekeep, btw also by the same author). And being on DM's Guild doesn't make it canon, btw. Being released by WotC does.

teitan

Legend
The link is wrong (yeah, yeah, I know, but no joke. The OP in the link is mistaken. Notice how Greenwood doesn't confirm anything about DM's Guild). It's not by Greenwood, it's for 3.5, and it probably will be released just like Under Illefarn Anew did (hosted on Candlekeep, btw also by the same author). And being on DM's Guild doesn't make it canon, btw. Being released by WotC does.

look again

Attachments

• A2010F53-42F2-4F7B-AEF0-3E6D867CD746.png
    A2010F53-42F2-4F7B-AEF0-3E6D867CD746.png
    668.2 KB · Views: 143

Yup, plenty of stuff of the FR already. You don't need to update fluff.

I feel like this sort of attitude is not great for settings in the longer term. A DM new to D&D is quite likely to start with the FR, as it is the default setting, but if they want to go beyond the Sword Coast, there is very little support in 5E, which puts a new DM in a tricky position. They can go back to products from earlier editions, if they're on DMsguild but I know from my own experience as a new DM once that this is likely to lead to confusion and frustration, because much of those products will clearly be outdated and contradictory, and other stuff will seem dubious.

I think it would be very helpful for there to be a world-expander like this for the 5E FR. Indeed, given the turmoil the FR has been through, I would suggest it is perhaps more useful there than with Eberron. I don't think dismissing the idea is a good thing. Right now we have basically the equivalent of FRA from the 1E to 2E transition, except covering a much bigger change and time jump. That's a good starting point but I hope WotC allow and encourage more to be done.

Indeed, given the turmoil the FR has been through
I think this is actually the issue: Some folk at WotC would like to retcon the 4e changes as "never happened", whereas some want to go with "it happened but pretty much everything is back how it used to be". Currently they are going with a vague "it's up to the DM", but the more they publish in the setting, and the more they respond to some players demand for a "canon" FR the harder it becomes to stay on the fence.

The easiest thing to do is focus on other settings and wait for the problem to go away.

I think this is actually the issue: Some folk at WotC would like to retcon the 4e changes as "never happened", whereas some want to go with "it happened but pretty much everything is back how it used to be". Currently they are going with a vague "it's up to the DM", but the more they publish in the setting, and the more they respond to some players demand for a "canon" FR the harder it becomes to stay on the fence.

The easiest thing to do is focus on other settings and wait for the problem to go away.

The easiest thing isn't always the right thing for the long-term health of the game. You'd think the people who came up with MtG might realise that, but oh well. I do agree that this seems to be the prevailing attitude though. I can say that if I was a new FR DM in 5E I would probably be kind of frustrated with WotC at this point.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases