• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Forked Thread: Some Thoughts on 4e

Gort

Explorer
This may sound weird, but hasn't it ALWAYS been the best tactic in D&D since OD&D to focus fire on one enemy at a time.

Without the death spiral of doom, it always makes more sense to kill off one enemy completely right?

Yep. Until they add some kind of penalty for being bloodied or something similar to that, you're ALWAYS better off killing one monster at a time, because two monsters at half hitpoints are two monsters worth of pain, and one monster at full hitpoints is only one monster worth of pain.

I remember a game that had rather harsh penalties for taking damage - the Legend of the Five Rings RPG (not the greatest system, and quite badly written, but we played it for a while anyway). My guy would charge a baddie, wound him severely, then ignore him as I go to charge the next unwounded enemy. The wound penalties were so nasty that it was more advantageous to wound a lot of people rather than kill a few.

Remove ads