• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forked Thread: "The Death of the Imagination" re: World of Warcraft

I disagree, but we probably have very different ideas of what a "self-respecting psychologist" is.
There are 2 types. The relevant ones are the cats like myself who construct controlled studies, analyze the variance in human behavior, and report on such in peer-reviewed journals.

They are the ones competent to judge whether those new-fangled devil games are actually poisoning our youth's (apparently) poor, feeble imaginations.

Mercurius

Legend
There are 2 types. The relevant ones are the cats like myself who construct controlled studies, analyze the variance in human behavior, and report on such in peer-reviewed journals.

They are the ones competent to judge whether those new-fangled devil games are actually poisoning our youth's (apparently) poor, feeble imaginations.

This is the sort of sharp line that throws the baby out with the bath-water. I agree with your criticism of the overly superstitious, but there is a much wider range of psychologists out there that aren't playing the academic game but doing interesting work. And don't forget about actual practitioners--people who see clients and base their perspectives on human beings, not just essays and data.

Those people are competent to judge whether their particular clients are, in fact, engaging in an activity that is toxic to them, whether because of the nature of the activity or because of the nature of the person.

As a general rule, however, the position on the ground obscures any view whatsoever of larger trends.

I've been involved with both. Clinical work, regardless of flavor, is a bad place to get a perspective on the average person. You are literally surrounded by the people who were having enough trouble to seek help or be forced into seeking help. As a general rule, people don't choose to spend time with a therapist until their life is getting pretty broken, and they are outside their coping skills. This is only the people who are in extreme need of help, as a general rule, outside of some urbanized areas where the stigma has been sufficiently eroded that seeking therapy is just another form of hypochondria at this point. It's damn near a merit badge in certain societies nowadays, but again, those are NOT typical people either.

So.... making broad statements about the human condition based almost exclusively on those who aren't coping well with the human condition is perhaps even worse than your average academic psychologist, who bases 90% of his work exclusively on upwardly mobile college attendees between 17 and 23.

Like I said.... I got the heck out of that line. Doing 90% of your work in a way that isn't remotely generalizable to the general population is a bad way to make progress. Or sense.

Like I said.... I got the heck out of that line. Doing 90% of your work in a way that isn't remotely generalizable to the general population is a bad way to make progress. Or sense.
Wait, are you trying to say that basing my master's thesis research on ENWorld polls might not be a good idea after all?

Mercurius

Legend
Good stuff Canis, thanks for the further elucidation. I can certainly agree with your perspective on this, although don't think it negates the validity of a given opinion or speculation if they it isn't backed with peer reviewed research. I think we also have to look at what sort of basic assumptions we are operating from, whether we are psychiatrists, Jungians, or existential therapists, etc. Cross-disciplinary conversation is problematic, to say the least.

Just out of curiosity, what is your training and degree? And what are you currently doing?

(I was in a Master's program for counseling psych, but decided I didn't want to be a therapist and got into education; I'm just glad it happened while still in school and not, say, amidst a session ;)).

Bachelor's in animal physiology. Eventually wandered over to Neuro tech work. Entered grad school there, but wandered in the process over to Developmental psych. Like research, hate grant writing. Love to teach and mentor undergrads, but short-circuited at all the idiocy in academics and exited with a Master's.

Did some volunteer work in clinical, but decided I'm not temperamentally suited to it. Too depressing for someone as pragmatic/cynical as I am. Needs more optimism than I can muster. You have to believe what you're peddling. I can't always do that.

So, I'm back in hard biology for the moment. I'm looking for full-time teaching work, but in the short term I'm a tech to pay the bills. Fairly high level tech work is nice. Pays almost as well as being an academic, without the asinine money-chasing or the ridiculous schedule.

Remove ads