Forked Thread: Union Revised: How would you do it?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Forked from: DMG2 blurb on Amazon. Attention Planescape fans!

Shemeska said:
Several years back I speculated with Rip and some others on the WotC boards about how to save the place (the thread since scrubbed in one of the crashes over there, or the Gleemax era forum deletions and mass merges). Perhaps the demiplane existed prior to the mercane's finding it and claiming it as their own creation, and something else really pulls the strings, perhaps like a twist on Neth or Nimicri. Perhaps the mercane serve as the intermediaries for a cabal of draconic sorcerers or a proxy of a draconic deity of wealth. Etc.

Suffice to say, Union needed a revamp if it wanted to shed the disdain it generally received when it came out.
Shemeska always has great insights about the planes and the above quote made me wonder how Union could be revised to be "truly" useful as planar city without the baggage of uber Epicness as presented in the ELH.

How would you "fix" Union? What would you change? Have you already fixed it for your campaign?

Cheers!

KF72

Cevalic

First Post
I wouldn't. So many things about it are bland that it seems easier to just make a city from the ground up.

Thats not very constructive critism though, so I guess a couple ideas wouldnt help. What exactly are you aiming for? A metropolis that exists as a base for mercanes to trade and horde wealth? Or would it be better as a legendary city along the lines of Tanelorn. Personally I hate the mercane angle. But what type of city are you looking for?

FourthBear

First Post
I believe that Union had several design flaws. Despite the extraplanar location, Union has features that are disturbingly like any standard town or city, just altered in stats so as to be Epic. The most infamous being an entire society of Epic Union Sentinels (town guards). Epic characters are typically thought of as the product of unique histories culminating a incredible character arc. Having enough of these Epic heroes decide to settle down to become a Epic Town Guard really epitomizes the issue with Union. The Epic is standardized and catered.

Union itself is fairly bland and seems to have little history or life outside of its designed task: to serve as a base for Epic D&D characters. I think a good Epic base needs a story or life of its own, strong enough to serve as a potent backdrop for the characters.

The City of Brass as a reasonable example of a Epic tier home base is interesting. The City of Brass is evocative, it has very powerful residents (including some Epic tier), but all types can be encountered there. It's history and activities go far beyond serving as an Adventure Mart for Epic PCs (actually some of these activities, like slaving, might likely make it questionable for most PCs, unless the campaign arc centers on ending these activities).

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
To me, the tagline should be "Standing at the edge of Greatness".

Most of the people in Union should not be epic, but they live among giants. There are things in Union so immense, so terrifying, so...epic...that most ordinary people can't get near them, but simply watch from a distance. These are the people that eat and drink next to legends.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I wouldn't. So many things about it are bland that it seems easier to just make a city from the ground up.

Thats not very constructive critism though, so I guess a couple ideas wouldnt help. What exactly are you aiming for? A metropolis that exists as a base for mercanes to trade and horde wealth? Or would it be better as a legendary city along the lines of Tanelorn. Personally I hate the mercane angle. But what type of city are you looking for?
Well, I'm not looking for anything specific. This thread is just for generating ideas. It's a brainstorming thread.

So, if you want to suggest a completely recreated Union from the ground up then go ahead and post your thoughts.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I wrote this a couple years ago, a short time after the ELH came out as an in-character review of Union (by my board namesake). It first appeared in The Lady's Sharper Eye, an in-character newspaper for Sigil released over on Planewalker.

me said:
To my dearest friend the editor of the Lady’s Sharper Eye,
Secondarily addressed to the public at large, for their general illumination,

I’ve come to the conclusion that anti-genesis as a spell should be made available to every powerful mage with both the ability to cast it and the good sense to know when a demiplane should be ripped from its ethereal moorings and imploded like some living, animate piñata. I’ve found such a demiplane, and I’m going to openly suggest that it first be mocked, then abused, then put down, carved up, and devoured (much like whores in Plague-Mort who don’t perform well for cambion clients).

Union… the name rolls off my tongue like a bit of larvae that still hasn’t gotten the notion that it’s dead yet. Now, I don’t know if any of the cutters reading my words will have necessarily heard of this particular place, but a bit of sordid little background for the (blessedly in this case) unenlightened.

I first heard about the demiplane of Union eighty-seven years ago as the butt of a joke by a few members of the Planar Trade Consortium, and I’ve still heard the same joke bandied around. It’s rather nice, but it’s a bit too crude to grace these pages. The whole place was grown up by Mercanes, though I have good reason to believe that they didn’t actually create it themselves, but simply used a pre-existent demiplane and did a fancy little job of housekeeping and interior decorating. Not that they have taste mind you. And we all know how mercanes are, though it’s hard to get to know them when you invite them to lunch and they step unknowingly into Sigil and then proceed to scream like idiots for the next thirty minutes before you yourself stop laughing at them and kick them through a portal.

They are ever so amusing…

But yes the demiplane itself and why I had the unfortunate experience of traveling there. Suffice to say I have people in debt to me, and people in my employ all over the sodding planes; that much should be obvious. I am a respected businesswoman after all.

It all started when I gated into the sodding place in the middle of the High Quarter. Boring and entirely filled with squealing mercanes. Their pretenses of having warded the place from intrusion are laughable, and if that’s what they call sorcery, I should suggest to a few ears and ears that listen to them directly, that the place is ripe for conquest by this or that lower planar power. If so, I get a cut.

One quick teleport into the so-called Magic Quarter later, I was browsing some of what passes for magic items and enchanted baubles. The selection wasn’t bad per se, but it was atrociously overpriced. A chat with a few wizardly bloods, and a mindrape spell on a victim/customer of theirs later, it’s entirely obvious that maybe a third of the wizards in the quarter are the only people I can respect in Union. It’s a scam and they know it and they perpetuate it. While not bad, they sell moderate magic at over inflated prices to berks fresh from the prime who believe Union to be a pinnacle of Planar Society.

I won’t grant the mercanes the genius of such an act, but some bloods have taken advantage of a good situation, and good for them. Union is nothing more than a sanitized little playground for rich clueless from the prime who don’t know that they’re being gutted and mocked even as they sit and enjoy themselves in their arrogant ignorance. Before I left in disgust at them, I did have some fun at their expense.

Leaving the Magic Quarter with a few things that can be vaguely called ‘purchases’, I then wheeled through the Market Quarter (where I collected cuts from a few people selling things on my behalf in the city) and then to the Commerce Quarter to do much the same.

Suplindh… some warped gargoyle of… half-loth heritage… selling magic items, always smiling, always talking to his customers and getting to know them… Is the multiverse mocking me? It’s like Union has its very own messed up version of that teal and gold wrapped smiling little Gehennan bastard!

Or…

Or HE’S BREEDING!!!!! ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

Pardon me, it’s not a pleasant thought on a number of different layers.

That unpleasantness aside, let’s talk about Union’s guards. The Sentinels… they’re a joke right? They march around, and like broken little clockwork automatons they stop and ramble on about their deeds and triumphs over ‘evil’ on the prime material on whatever backwater world they managed to escape. Their captains seem incapable of speaking without a giant smile, posed with their hands on their hips, speaking of themselves in the third person. And then they tried to first levy a fee for my not having a ‘trade writ’. I laughed at their joke and walked away… and one of them touched me… actually touched me!

I turned and spit in his face! The subsequent events I’m sure are on record with the Sentinels offices in the Military Quarter, and I’m sure that once they pay for a well-trained transmuter or powerful cleric, they can make their squadron of toy soldiers distinct individuals again.

Some time, and a few more ‘incidents’ later I arrived at Chindra’s Palace of Delights in the Perfumed Quarter for a nice pleasant chat with Oslan Turvae, a good friend of mine. The palace is really a cheap knockoff of the Fortune’s Wheel, just on a lower budget and without the same quality of clientele. Of course, I also had to deal with the insufferable buffoons who serve as the Union’s unwitting jink spigot.

Just a sample of the fumbling questions I had to endure over the course of a half hour from those idiots:

“So what sort of devil are you?”
“Just what kingdom are you the King of?”
“I know a cleric in the Temple Quarter who can cure your lycanthropy.”
“I’m the richest person in Union! Jeremo the Natterer? No I can’t say that I’ve ever heard of him. Why?”
“Have you met Suplindh? Are you related to him? Do you know his father?”
“The Gray Waste? Never heard of it, is that part of Hell? Or is it near the Happy Hunting Grounds?”
“What’s that vine stuff on your head? Are you a druid? Why are you uncoiling a stand of it like… ack!”

Only by severe effort did I not simply start tossing spells around. Bless Oslan, he managed to calm me down before I strangled a few berks with too much money and neither good sense or any knowledge of the planes. It’s a wretched combination, and I have no desire to subject myself to it ever again. Of course my subsequent actions have made me more or less persona non grata within the demiplane itself, but I have no care to mention the details of that herein.

So in closing, take my advice and avoid the misery of visiting the place. (Though if you’re going, I might like to accompany you simply to experience the misery, it’s to me like chocolate to a mortal…) And I’m declaring it open season on the Mercane of Union, and on clueless with too much jink, peel them for all they’re worth on my behalf.

Her Fiendish Majesty, the King of the Crosstrade,

Shemeska the Marauder

P.S. And, in case you read this, Supreme Councilor Revenia, you can have the gemstone holding the juiciest portions of your Supreme Commander Dilella back for free. But you have to come visit me. In person. In Sigil. Divine all you like, I wasn’t involved. Cheers!

arscott

First Post
I've never actually read the ELH, but the big problems with Union that people seem to have is that a)It tries to be sigil, but isn't as cool, and b) epic level commoners.

So how about this:

Sigil is the center of the multiverse. It's loud, dirty, and full of life--you can find people and creatures from all walks of life, from peasant to king.

But sometimes you only want to talk to the kings...

Enter Union, where a sign on the city gate says "You must be this important to enter."

And the fact is, you do. There are no small houses in Union, so don't expect to live there unless you can afford an over-priced Mansion. Trade is conducted almost exclusively in astral diamonds--if something doesn't merit such a price, then it's either on the house or just plain unavailable. The menial labor in the city is carried out by powerful enchantments rather than living servants--the Mercane don't want a lower class to develop. Individual residents are allowed in-home servants, but must pay a steep fee even then.

Given all that, why would anyone actually want to come to the city? The mercanes are quick to point out the advantage: "You could conduct your business in sigil and deal with monsters and Fiends, or you can come to Union and deal with merchants you can trust". The Mercane stand by their word--The guild guarentees every contract signed within the city limits (and employ Maruts to ensure that those contracts are fulfilled, or the defaulter pays for his irresponsibility). And Union offers luxuries not for sale anywhere else in the planes--Exotic cuisine featuring ingredients from every corner of the multiverse, musical and theatrical performances that rival the entertainments of Queen Titandra's Summer Court, Baths of pure residuum or Astral flame, and more.

Klaus

First Post
Union steps too much into Sigil's toes for me to like it. An Epic "hometown" should be the home to epic creatures, like the City of Brass, or a city in the Astral Sea patrolled by Unaligned angels. A place like Hyperborea or Avalon, where the mightiest heroes go.

Psion

Adventurer
Shemeska always has great insights about the planes and the above quote made me wonder how Union could be revised to be "truly" useful as planar city without the baggage of uber Epicness as presented in the ELH.

As I posited in a thread long ago (here), Union needs to be more like RIFTS Atlantis. If the city needs epic-level power, it doesn't need would-be-generals serving as constables, it needs powerful beings that logically fit into the city:

I could see an Epic city. I really could. (c.f., RIFTS Atlantis...) They COULD have made union an awesome city by sprinkling it with epic flavor.

Instead we get a powered up normal city. They could have had the city patrolled by ultra-powerful golems like Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still. Instead, we have men that should be at the heads of mighty armies serving as guards. (Heh... it's be a cute joke to run a game in the city and give the constables names like "Seargant Achilles" and "Lieutenant Siegfried.") Epic bards have groupies that outside of sigil would lead great bard colleges.

Remove ads