Foundation Series (Apple+)

Zardnaar

Legend
I just finished episode 6 and am finding that I want to like the series more than I actually do. First of all, I find the acting and dialogue uneven, and just don't care all that much about any of the characters. Salvor Harden is so central, but one of the worst actors in the show (imo).

It is still entertaining: fun to look at, a nice use of color, and enough intriguing elements to keep watching. But at this point it feels more like a big budget SyFy channel show than it does the SF version of GoT, or commensurate with other "premier" TV series in the post-Sopranos era.

Good way of phrasing it. It's ok/good in parts but it's not great. People don't seem to be dumping all over it it's just ok.

I'm guessing in the books the events happening were the main thing?
It is a long time since I read it, but as I remember it we are pretty much on the second of five or six short stories in the first book.

If we follow the book's arc, the series should end with Foundation starting to take over the Barbarian Worlds and carve out it's own mini-empire.

Zardnaar

Legend
It is a long time since I read it, but as I remember it we are pretty much on the second of five or six short stories in the first book.

If we follow the book's arc, the series should end with Foundation starting to take over the Barbarian Worlds and carve out it's own mini-empire.

There's a big lack of interesting characters I find. No one's aggravating at least.

Politics on Trantor are reasonably interesting. I suspect the robot lady will betray Empire and the young "nice" clone is gonna get a sticky ending.

Still it's good enough to watch each week. It's not like there's much else on atm Sci Fi related though.

Hell watching White Collar on Disney+ atm.

Seen the first two episodes, and found it gorgeous in scope and not too hard to follow. I haven't read the books.
What has spoiled it was seeing a trailer for it in the cinema this week. On the big screen it looked absolutely amazing ( and though I have a big screen 4k TV, it now looks somewhat diminished!!)

There's a big lack of interesting characters I find.
Fault of the book, which didn't really bother with such trivialities as "characterisation". To the extent that gender-swapping characters makes no difference whatsoever.

I find it's common in serious science fiction of that period - Arthur C. Clarke didn't really do interesting characters either (Hal is the most interesting character he ever came up with).

Have been watching Home Before Dark on Apple+ - which is Stranger Things with the supernatural element removed, and Only Murders in the Building on Disney+

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Fault of the book, which didn't really bother with such trivialities as "characterisation". To the extent that gender-swapping characters makes no difference whatsoever.

I find it's common in serious science fiction of that period - Arthur C. Clarke didn't really do interesting characters either.

Have been watching Home Before Dark on Apple+ - which is Stranger Things with the supernatural element removed, and Only Murders in the Building on Disney+

Yeah I don't really enjoy reading Sci Fi because a lot of it is bleah.

I realized that the show runners would have to develop the characters.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases