D&D 5E Foundry Gets Official D&D Support

Joining Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and WotC’s own VTT plans, the Foundry virtual tabletop is getting official D&D support. You can se their announcement video below. This will give yet another way to play D&D and that's some very good news.

Joining Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and WotC’s own VTT plans, the Foundry virtual tabletop is getting official D&D support. You can se their announcement video below.

This will give yet another way to play D&D and that's some very good news.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I tried Roll20...I think you are missing the key word, "idiot."
Hey, don't worry, if you saw my earlier attempts at minis and terrain, you'd say its a good thing this MN Blockhead idiot went to VTT. ;-)

There is a learning curve in any VTT that provides advanced features like fog of war, dynamic lighting, and automation. I've been impressed by D&D Beyonds new maps feature and think it provides a great basic battlemap experience. If I were running 5e still, I would seriously consider just doing everything in DnD Beyond now.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Good
Hey, don't worry, if you saw my earlier attempts at minis and terrain, you'd say its a good thing this MN Blockhead idiot went to VTT. ;-)

There is a learning curve in any VTT that provides advanced features like fog of war, dynamic lighting, and automation. I've been impressed by D&D Beyonds new maps feature and think it provides a great basic battlemap experience. If I were running 5e still, I would seriously consider just doing everything in DnD Beyond now.
Good point

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I do hope they will release the 2014 core books. It looks like the 2024 core rules will have significant overlap with the 2014 books. A lot of work spent on the 2014 books might carry over to the 2024 books?

Additionally, there might be some folks who choose to not migrate to the 2024 rules, and want to keep using the 2014 books.

For new Foundry users, they can buy Phandelver and Below which has everything to run the adventure. But out of the box, the players are limited to only the SRD player options for the next 6+ months. They can build the non-SRD content themselves, but that can be daunting for new Foundry users. They can purchase the non-SRD material they need on D&D Beyond and use a module to import things into Foundry. WotC is certainly happy with D&D Beyond purchases, but I would think Foundry would want to offer that material entirely in the Foundry ecosystem.

So I would say having the 2014 core rules available soonish would help support sales of adventures in the next few months.

Clint_L

Hero

Yeah, I'm using it because it is basic enough for even me. But I want something as cool as Foundry.

However, because I'm an analog miniatures and terrain guy for my home games, I mostly just use a VTT for school, and I don't want to invest too much time into it. Which is ultimately an excuse - I should get off my arse and learn to use Foundry.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I do hope they will release the 2014 core books. It looks like the 2024 core rules will have significant overlap with the 2014 books. A lot of work spent on the 2014 books might carry over to the 2024 books?

Additionally, there might be some folks who choose to not migrate to the 2024 rules, and want to keep using the 2014 books.

For new Foundry users, they can buy Phandelver and Below which has everything to run the adventure. But out of the box, the players are limited to only the SRD player options for the next 6+ months. They can build the non-SRD content themselves, but that can be daunting for new Foundry users. They can purchase the non-SRD material they need on D&D Beyond and use a module to import things into Foundry. WotC is certainly happy with D&D Beyond purchases, but I would think Foundry would want to offer that material entirely in the Foundry ecosystem.

So I would say having the 2014 core rules available soonish would help support sales of adventures in the next few months.
Almost zero chance. Especially since you can just import it from dndbeyond right now if you pay a bit for the ability to do so.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Almost zero chance. Especially since you can just import it from dndbeyond right now if you pay a bit for the ability to do so.
And I pointed that out as an option. But it is not an option that reinforces the idea of Foundry being a full support platform. And it is not as plug-and-play easy as buying a Foundry set of rules would be.

:unsure: It would be really great to offer a "buy 2014 core books now, get a discount on 2024 core books later this year" deal, but I know that has a zero chance of happening....

Edited to add: Importing everything from D&D Beyond requires an ongoing Patreon subscription that could rival the cost of a one-time purchase. You can import and make a backup, but again, most new Foundry users won't do that.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
And I pointed that out as an option. But it is not an option that reinforces the idea of Foundry being a full support platform. And it is not as plug-and-play easy as buying a Foundry set of rules would be.

:unsure: It would be really great to offer a "buy 2014 core books now, get a discount on 2024 core books later this year" deal, but I know that has a zero chance of happening....

Edited to add: Importing everything from D&D Beyond requires an ongoing Patreon subscription that could rival the cost of a one-time purchase. You can import and make a backup, but again, most new Foundry users won't do that.
It's not ongoing. Do it for one month and import everything you own. Especially if all you want is the phb, dmg, and mm. Or other books you already own.

It's a ton of work to get that all into foundry in a manner they can sell it. They are a small team. It just seems very unlikely this close to the new rules.

A new user needs to spend about ten minutes watching a how to video to know how to do this. That's what I did.

mamba

Legend
they are not going to work on the 20o14 books now and then try to figure out what the delta for 2024 is and base the 2024 books on the 2014 ones, they will simply start with the 2024 as a new effort, regardless of what they did with 2014.

Given how far along we are, they will just skip 2014 and go straight with 2024.

I am not sure they can keep selling them once 2024 is out, and they won't spend the effort only to be able to sell them for three months or so

sure, it would help, but it is probably not worth the effort. If anyone wants to play the adventures, they will either have to use the 2014 SRD, or something like A5E or ToV (once that is out)

Importing everything from D&D Beyond requires an ongoing Patreon subscription that could rival the cost of a one-time purchase.
or you import once and unsubscribe from the patreon. Not much coming in the next few months that you would need it for, now that Foundry gets official support

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads