D&D 5E Foundry Gets Official D&D Support

Joining Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and WotC’s own VTT plans, the Foundry virtual tabletop is getting official D&D support. You can se their announcement video below. This will give yet another way to play D&D and that's some very good news.

Joining Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and WotC’s own VTT plans, the Foundry virtual tabletop is getting official D&D support. You can se their announcement video below.

This will give yet another way to play D&D and that's some very good news.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
they are maps made for books and to be printed....they aren't nearly as interesting as you can make on foundry at all. U said yourself, "usable".....

Hussar

Legend
Ugh. 200 pixels per square? My poor computer would die. I have no idea why people seem to need these immense maps. 50 pixels per square is more than enough.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
anyone bought and used Phandelver at all yet? I'm likely about to, and would love to read your thoughts....(as in, curious if you think it is worth buying all this again on the VTT, even though I own it on beyond and physically).
Unfortunately, I have no interest in Phandelver and Below because a) I don't like the direction it took (it's jarring tone shift), b) I already imported LMoP from D&D Beyond into Foundry quite a while ago, and c) I already ran LMoP for my group. So, this (along with CoS, which I'm playing in) is the pretty much my last choice of adventures to release for Foundry.

Still, like you, I'm very interested to hear from those that did purchase it about how well integrated it is. It will definitely influence me buying other adventures once they release on Foundry.

I have been playing around with updated D&D game system for Foundry, and I have to say that I like it. While I understand why (with the new revision landing this year),I really wish that they had released the 5.14e rules for purchase. I would have jumped on that.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Unfortunately, I have no interest in Phandelver and Below because a) I don't like the direction it took (it's jarring tone shift), b) I already imported LMoP from D&D Beyond into Foundry quite a while ago, and c) I already ran LMoP for my group. So, this (along with CoS, which I'm playing in) is the pretty much my last choice of adventures to release for Foundry.

Still, like you, I'm very interested to hear from those that did purchase it about how well integrated it is. It will definitely influence me buying other adventures once they release on Foundry.

I have been playing around with updated D&D game system for Foundry, and I have to say that I like it. While I understand why (with the new revision landing this year),I really wish that they had released the 5.14e rules for purchase. I would have jumped on that.
It looks very pretty in foundry. And it's so easy to open a scene with everything there! I just wish they had permission to update the maps with better art. We'll play next week, I'll know more then.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I just wish they had permission to update the maps with better art.
Also keep in mind that 'better' is very subjective.

As an example: We're currently using primarily DungeonDraw in FVVT with a whole load of assets from Forgotten Adventures. As I'm a player, I do not have advance notice on what the maps look like, so everything is done ad-hoc, by me. And I wanted to improve that experience, before spending a ton of time and money on something people might not appreciate as much as they could. I showed them a couple of artstyles: Forgotten Adventures (map from the Paizo KM module), a map made with Dungeon Alchemist, a map from Crosshead Studios and one of Phandelver and Below maps. They all said they preferred the Crosshead Studios art style, as being 'clearer' on screen. That all agreed! :eek: Without discussion!

Also, if you have the 'better' maps for this adventure, you could easily change the map image.

@Hussar This is a potato free zone! ;) But it isn't as bad as you might think, Cragmaw castle is a 6400 pixel x 4600 pixel map, compressed with WebP and only 2.5MB big. If your PC has issues with that, it's really old!

Hussar

Legend
@Hussar This is a potato free zone! ;) But it isn't as bad as you might think, Cragmaw castle is a 6400 pixel x 4600 pixel map, compressed with WebP and only 2.5MB big. If your PC has issues with that, it's really old!
It's more that my players and myself are scattered across a couple of continents. Which can make map loading and whatnot really challenging. I pretty much limit myself to under 1Mb for any single image. By the time you add in dynamic lighting, a bunch of tokens, and whatnot, that's about all we can handle before things start grinding to a halt.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Yeah, I asked some questions about how they build the maps in the 5e and PF2 modules vs the D&D 5e module. The answer has to do with contractual obligations to WotC, the rules of the contract where different from those with Paizo (and no rules from their own 5e creations).
Thanks for checking on this. That's what I thought but I didn't want to say anything without knowing more. One of the things about the official Foundry adventures is that they look amazing. My players who use other VTTs have told me they were switching as soon as something like the 3.0 update happened (we use PF2 and Abomination Vaults although I've run the Beginner's Box and a little of Season of Ghosts).
Edited to add: if you want to see what I mean, there are a ton of actual play videos for these games on Youtube.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
If my players are willing, we're going to run the first encounter multiple times, to see if art and 2.5d and 3d matter to them..... Or maybe the first few once each, but I'm different ways. Mirrorscape has all the maps in 3d. I can turn on 2.5d in foundry. I could rebuild some of the maps pretty easily.

I'm betting.... That cleaner is better for them, as the play is the thing, not art.

Remove ads

Remove ads