D&D 5E Foundry Gets Official D&D Support

Joining Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and WotC’s own VTT plans, the Foundry virtual tabletop is getting official D&D support. You can se their announcement video below. This will give yet another way to play D&D and that's some very good news.

Joining Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and WotC’s own VTT plans, the Foundry virtual tabletop is getting official D&D support. You can se their announcement video below.

This will give yet another way to play D&D and that's some very good news.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
It's not ongoing. Do it for one month and import everything you own. Especially if all you want is the phb, dmg, and mm. Or other books you already own
Yes but what about when adjustments need to be made for future versions of the DND5E system module and/or future versions of Foundry? Foundry v12 will probably release before the 2024 core books do.
sure, it would help, but it is probably not worth the effort. If anyone wants to play the adventures, they will either have to use the 2014 SRD, or something like A5E or ToV (once that is out)
I think the Phandelver adventure requires the DND5E system module and I imagine any future official adventures will do the same. I don't think they will work with the A5E or ToV system modules.

Look, I heard what the Foundry crew said, and I know it is a longshot they will support the 2014 core books. I am just pointing out a few issues that might arise between now and the 2024 core books release.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Yes but what about when adjustments need to be made for future versions of the DND5E system module and/or future versions of Foundry? Foundry v12 will probably release before the 2024 core books do.

I think the Phandelver adventure requires the DND5E system module and I imagine any future official adventures will do the same. I don't think they will work with the A5E or ToV system modules.

Look, I heard what the Foundry crew said, and I know it is a longshot they will support the 2014 core books. I am just pointing out a few issues that might arise between now and the 2024 core books release.
It will not work outside the 5e system, I'd think. But that's no different than any other VTT (I guess I could test this, as my group has decided to buy this and see how it goes, going back to 5e and stopping online gloomhaven).

mamba

Legend
no idea, you would need to ask the Foundry developers

not sure how it works internally, I am not sure why they could not work in combination, but that is not the same as knowing that they do

oh, sure it would be better if they had a full D&D module already, they don't however, and waiting for 2024 makes more sense than working on 2014 at this point in time

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I wish that they had included the Basic Rules in addition to the rules in the SRD. That way you could remake the starter set sample PCs without having to build, then import, them from D&D Beyond.

Ondath

Hero
I wish that they had included the Basic Rules in addition to the rules in the SRD. That way you could remake the starter set sample PCs without having to build, then import, them from D&D Beyond.
While Basic Rules are available for personal use from WotC's website, I don't think they're avaliable for commercial use like the SRD. So they really couldn't unless they got permission from WotC to do it (which they probably wouldn't bother to while trying to get a deal for selling the whole licensed system at the same time).

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
While Basic Rules are available for personal use from WotC's website, I don't think they're avaliable for commercial use like the SRD. So they really couldn't unless they got permission from WotC to do it (which they probably wouldn't bother to while trying to get a deal for selling the whole licensed system at the same time).
True. But if wishes were horses, and all that. 😉

Zaukrie

New Publisher
anyone bought and used Phandelver at all yet? I'm likely about to, and would love to read your thoughts....(as in, curious if you think it is worth buying all this again on the VTT, even though I own it on beyond and physically).

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
anyone bought and used Phandelver at all yet? I'm likely about to, and would love to read your thoughts....(as in, curious if you think it is worth buying all this again on the VTT, even though I own it on beyond and physically).
I have it. If you've seen any of the PF2 modules, it's very similar. The issue that I have that the maps basically use the ones from the adventure. Yes, they have all the walls, doors, and lighting setup so it's ready to go, but I don't think those maps just work as well as they could for a VTT. The forgotten adventures site has some amazing looking maps you can use in their place. That's a minor quibble, though: you can totally run the adventure with what's included. Let me know if you have questions, I'll be glad to help.

I plan on running this, but only when the full game rules are released.

Remove ads

Remove ads