Unearthed Arcana Four New Elf Subraces in Unearthed Arcana

This month's Unearthed Arcana article gives us four new elf subraces to playtest. "After the positive response to the eladrin a couple of months ago in Unearthed Arcana, we decided to explore four more elf subraces: avariel (winged elves), grugach (the wild elves of Greyhawk), sea elves, and shadar-kai (deathly servants of the Raven Queen)."

This month's Unearthed Arcana article gives us four new elf subraces to playtest. "After the positive response to the eladrin a couple of months ago in Unearthed Arcana, we decided to explore four more elf subraces: avariel (winged elves), grugach (the wild elves of Greyhawk), sea elves, and shadar-kai (deathly servants of the Raven Queen)."

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 00.22.33.png

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
At the risk of a slight thread tangent, what do you mean by this, in terms of the Raven Queen warlock patron? What do you think they were actually testing/looking at?

I personally think they were looking at trying to create a patron type from the Shadowfell, the same way they have the 'Archfey' patron for the Feywild. They gave it the identity of the Raven Queen in the UA because she is perhaps the most known quantity of powerful entities that live within the Shadowfell and thus the easiest for people to grasp what they were going for... but I never believed they would make her specificallty the actual patron. One, because she's a god and thus divine and not warlockian... and two, because generic patrons give players a more open interpretation for whom they make a act with.

But by making the Raven Queen for UA, it gave them another complete set of subclass levels to create and test new shadow-based warlock features, in addition to the levels of features they were giving us from the Hexblade. Then as need be once they got back the surveys they could mix and match features as necessary depending on what people liked. In the end... it turns out they just chose to combine the two concepts together, where you have the "Shadowfell lord" and the "intelligent magic weapon" as one cohesive unit of a patron. And they tossed aside the 'Raven Queen' flavor text as now unnecessary.

Of course that's just my opinion.... I could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure what DEFCON1 is thinking, but for me the Raven Queen warlock pact seemed connected a bit to Mearls' comments about turning another 4e deity Torog into a powerful fiend, extraplanar entity or warlock patron. Considering that they probably don't intend to do bring Nentir Vale back as a setting they might be thinking about grabbing a few more interesting pieces and bring them back in a "new form."

They could easily make her an archfey.

Mike: Hey, Jeremy! We should push out some new crunch for D&D!

Jeremy: Yeah, great idea. Hmmm... whaddya thinking about?

Mike: Well, we could do a campaign setting. Maybe Eberron?

Jeremy: ..... wait ... wut?

Mike: Ha! Got ya. Of course not. We're just going to keep teasing that until 6e. What else. New classes?

Jeremy: Naw. That sounds hard. And then people will be all like, "Hey, what about psionics?"

Mike: Good point. More spells?

Jeremy: Why? They will just complain that they are either overpowered, or just go back to spamming cantrips.

Mike: New races?

Jeremy: Good idea. But what can we do that isn't too labor intensive, yet people will always still like?

Mike: Tough. Wait, I know .... ELVES!

Jeremy: That's it! Oh ... don't we already have more elves than Baskin Robbins has ice cream flavors?

Mike: Yeah, but there's always more. Let's see. Space elf. Pond elf. Keebler elf ...

Jeremy: ...Elf on the Shelf. Elf without pointy ears. Big elf! Small elf. ... umm ....

Mike: Santa's Elf! Valley Elf! Stone Elf. Rock Elf. Help me out ...

Jeremy: Dwarf Elf! Dragonelf! Elfling! Wait ... I've got it! HOW ABOUT A HUMAN-ELF HYBRID?

Mike: Hmmm.... that sounds familiar. Why don't we call it a Elfling?

Wait until you see next month's UA: more gnome races. I would pay good $ if there was a Bytopian gnome in there (maybe two kinds, one for each layer).

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
They could easily make her an archfey.

But that doesn't solve what I think they were going for, which was the Shadowfell-equivalent to an Archfey. As it stands, there are quite a number of characters from folklore and the various editions of the game that are considered under the designation of Archfey. If you go to THIS THREAD on the Candlekeep forums you can find a huge list of characters, mainly from the 4E books dealing with the Feywild, that could all be consider potential Archfey patrons.

But what is the equivalent list of Shadowlords? There really isn't any. The two biggest names that were designated as living in the Shadowfell were the Raven Queen and Orcus-- one of which is a god (and thus not a patron) and the other is a demon lord (and thus would fall under the Fiend patron designation.) The only other entity that I know of and can remember that lived in the Shadowfell as a potential Shadowlord patron (and I know this because I have a player whose Warlock PC was specifically created with Shadowfell patronage) was the archlich Mourne, from the Shades of Darkness organization article in Dragon 387. And even he's technically undead and thus should really be an Undying patron.

I imagine there are probably other entities named in some of the various 4E Shadowfell-based articles or books, but none of them have gained any real foothold into our consciousness. Especially considering that unfortunately, most of the powerful entities you might consider for Shadowfell patronage are actually undead too, and thus would also fall under the Undying patron as well.

Which is really why I have to wonder if Mike & Co. were actually thinking that quite possibly the most well-known "evil" and "darkness" type of entity that was NOT already a god, devil, or demon was in fact Blackrazor. Which is how they came upon the idea of using Blackrazor (and other evil intelligent weapons like it) as the potential patron for Shadowfellian PCs. Personally... I'd love it if they just went through their history to find other "Shadowlords"-- shadow or darkness-based entities that are not gods, demons, devils or undead that they could begin to emphasize and build up to the level we already have for all the various archfey. But my guess is that's a tall order and easier said than done.

I am currently playing a sea elf tempest cleric with the sailor background in a campaign that started last week. I was using the wood elf stats minus Fleet of Foot for being amphibious with a swim speed. This UA is perfect timing for me! I was always slightly bothered about the SCAG references to the elf subraces without stats to go with them. It would be nice if the Lythari and star elves showed up in a future UA.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Mike: Hey, Jeremy! We should push out some new crunch for D&D!

Jeremy: Yeah, great idea. Hmmm... whaddya thinking about?

Mike: Well, we could do a campaign setting. Maybe Eberron?

Jeremy: ..... wait ... wut?

Mike: Ha! Got ya. Of course not. We're just going to keep teasing that until 6e. What else. New classes?

Jeremy: Naw. That sounds hard. And then people will be all like, "Hey, what about psionics?"

Mike: Good point. More spells?

Jeremy: Why? They will just complain that they are either overpowered, or just go back to spamming cantrips.

Mike: New races?

Jeremy: Good idea. But what can we do that isn't too labor intensive, yet people will always still like?

Mike: Tough. Wait, I know .... ELVES!

Jeremy: That's it! Oh ... don't we already have more elves than Baskin Robbins has ice cream flavors?

Mike: Yeah, but there's always more. Let's see. Space elf. Pond elf. Keebler elf ...

Jeremy: ...Elf on the Shelf. Elf without pointy ears. Big elf! Small elf. ... umm ....

Mike: Santa's Elf! Valley Elf! Stone Elf. Rock Elf. Help me out ...

Jeremy: Dwarf Elf! Dragonelf! Elfling! Wait ... I've got it! HOW ABOUT A HUMAN-ELF HYBRID?

Mike: Hmmm.... that sounds familiar. Why don't we call it a Elfling?
Hey, Elves sell: I'm hoping my Dwarves get some love, they've already hit two of the core races...

Could a winged character use her wings to avoid damage by fall, or cross a underground hallway without touching a floor (with traps)? Or in a pitfall spreading out the wings to try griping the walls and reduce damage by fall?

Why not a gradual racial trait like the raptorans from "Races of the wild"?

Remove ads

Remove ads