• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fourth Edition largely unavailable at Amazon.com

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
It's probably a strategic move on their part to wean people off 4e, and so there is less confusion in the retail channel about which books to buy. Especially if they don't plan to clearly indicate what edition of the game it is on the cover.

Either way it's bad news for me, since there are still some items that I need to complete my hardcopy collection.

so what is going on? any speculation? are folks completing their collections?
The obvious really: only so many books were printed and they're running out.

WotC tends to treat books like disposable products. Like sets of Magic cards really. They do a print run and when it sells out they can release a revision. Which works for a lot of products but less so for books, especially game books.
That was one of the things they used as a selling feature for Essentials, it was going to be always in print. Which seems silly as their hardcover rule books should always be in print.

Pair this with lower sales of 4e. There was less incentive to get that second run printed when the first didn't sell out. And the newer products were "premium" reprints, which means fewer copies printed (and a higher price).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The Master Sets aren't the problem; getting the other sets to fill those boxes with is. Many of them are simply out of print, and the ones that are still available take weeks to fulfill for Amazon.

WotC should get back into the business of creating them; they're systemless and one of the few products they can sell to all *D&D players, including OSR and Pathfinder fans.

Anjohl

Villager
I saw that the books were going up in price in the "New and Used" private seller listings, and that most key books, particularly early releases, were only available thusly. I have sold most of my 4th edition books on amazon, many for 2x-5x issue price. All I currently have left is the deluxe slipcase 3-book set and a few odds and ends. I know the slipcase is a collectors item, so I am in no rush to sell it.

Remove ads