D&D 5E Fourth party member

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Someone to deal with traps and locks, which I guess is anyone who gains access to thieves tools via class, background or feats. If picking a specific class though, I'd say either artificer or rogue for their skills with thieves tools. Rogue can also have decent stealth if you also want a scout and can hit hard with sneak attack. The artificer can get some good support abilities, adding a bit more magic to the group as well as enhancing people with infusions.

Iry

Hero
Artificer - they provide thieves tool use, knowledge skills, and you can flex between Faerie Fire Tank, or full support depending on what the party needs and your own preferences. The flexibility of the Artificer means you can change which role you fill on a day to day basis.

akr71

Hero
Echoing the Rogue. Arcane Trickster makes a lot of sense and use Expertise on thieves tools & investigation. Arcana & stealth would be nice too.

If it were my character, I'd likely choose human, but half-elf, halfling or high elf would also be tempting and it would make the party feel a bit more 'normal' for interacting with the locals in towns & villages.

Ideally anything other than a Paladin, Druid, or Sorcerer. Barring that another Paladin, Druid, or Sorcerer. 5e's pretty forgiving and there are no glaring, debilitating holes in the capabilities the group already has.

That said, I'd go with a Sword Bard as a nice all-arounder. You have a weak front line anytime the Shepherd Druid isn't handy with summonses and an overpopulated one anytime they are, so someone who can switch-hit frontline/backline is probably going to do best. You'll be able to help with everything without outshining anyone at their own shtick, and the group doesn't have a skill monkey yet.

Shiroiken

Legend
Combat-wise you probably want a melee character, because I'll assume the druid and sorcerer are probably not heavily melee, and the paladin could use a buddy. Your primary weakness seems to be in utility, so either a bard or rogue would fit nicely. A wizard could work, but you'd probably want to go Battlemage or Bladesinger so you can survive melee. Monk can fit the role a little, but I think is the weakest option.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
You already have 3 long rest focused characters in the party, I'd go for a 4th so you all recharge on the same rest schedule.

I like bladesinger wizard with this group. You need someone with some decent at-will damage, bladesingers really hit their stride at 6+, and there's enough spell use in the party that you can afford to be selfish with some of your spell usage to buff yourself.

Shiroiken

Legend
Starting at 7th level? Monk is very strong after 5. You're not dealing a huge amount of damage, but the battlefield control of the monk is pretty insane.
Weakest for filling the role of utility, not referring to combat. They don't have the spells a wizard or bard could provide, nor the skill options of a rogue. They have some abilities for the role, but not many.

collin

Explorer
Generally speaking, I agree with the sentiments already expressed regarding having more of a stealthy, capable character. Choices would be (in this order): rogue > monk > ranger > bard. If you decide to go with a rogue (non-multi-classed), I would opt for arcane trickster > scout > swashbuckler.

Remove ads