• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[FR] Do you use the Realms cosmology?

Which cosmology does your FR campaign use?

• Forgotten Realms cosmology only

Votes: 51 28.2%
  • Great Wheel only

Votes: 52 28.7%
  • Mostly Forgotten Realms, with some Great Wheel planes

Votes: 23 12.7%
  • Mostly Great Wheel, with some Forgotten Realms planes

Votes: 19 10.5%
  • All planes from Great Wheel and Forgotten Realms cosmology

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 16 8.8%

Psion

Adventurer
Edited for "I agree with you except":

wingsandsword said:
Yes, it's also the Greyhawk cosmology too, because Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Birthright, Ravenloft, Planescape, Spelljammer and Dark Sun are all part of the same multiverse (with Ravenloft very hard to get out of, and Athas very hard to get into or out of).

... with Ravenolft being iffy. There was lots of cross contamination with Ravenloft, but it almost felt shoehorned into the cosmology. Birthright and Dark Sun never really fit nor saw much cross-connecting.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
When I ran FR several years ago, I used the Great Wheel. Now that I'm running a Planescape game, I make reference to Toril being a Prime accesible from the Wheel. None of this alternate cosmology for me.

Demiurge out.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
The outer planes are a place of mystery and horror. Oh, sure, the celestials CLAIM to be nice (if you can find them), but when you cut those outsiders open they all spill forth the unspeakable blasphemy of COSMIC HORROR! :eek:

I use the Call of Cthulu cosmology with all outer planes. Planescape's Great Wheel and the Realms Great Tree are both feeble mortal attempts to rationalize what their limited minds dare not comprehend: everything beyond the known and familiar inner planes is the Far Realm. :]

The 'material planes' of places like Oerth, Toril, Krynn - those fragile shells of so-called reality - are connected by the phlogiston and separated by Crystal Spheres.

thompgc

First Post
Since my FR game was started in 2nd edition and moved to the planes then, I just stuck with the great wheel (with the plane of Shadow thrown in)

If I were to start a new FR campaign I'd probably still stick w/the great wheel.
Would save time as that is what I know, haven't read much of the FR cosmology info (though I have all the books)

jester47

First Post
Heh...

You are all rank ameteurs... ;)

As someone stated before all the tree planes are pretty much wheel planes renamed.

The cosmic concepts in Beyond Countless Doorways allow for you to have both. Each one can be a different perception of a very stable series conjunction. If you look at the conjunction in a portal access format from the prime material plane, it looks like a tree. If you look at the big picture you see the more permanent connections in the series conjunction. The other advantage to this is that you can actually discover new planes, and the DM can rearrange the planes and do interesting things with the conjunctions.

BCD. Best planes book ever.

Aaron

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads