• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FR to look like a Roger Dean painting

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
As a Yes fan and Roger Dean fan, this quote from today's "Countdown to the Realms" makes me happy. As someone who's not a FR fanatic, but likes the setting, this makes me sad.

The 4th Edition Realms are shifting away from a "Renaissance" feel to a more contemporary higher fantasy environment. If you can imagine playing D&D in a world that looks like the cover of a Yes album, you're getting close.

Nebulous

Legend
Just for comparison:

yes1.jpg

yes2.jpg

yes6.jpg

yes8.jpg

I...I guess that's a good thing. :\

P.S. - Eridanis, i love your sig.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
As a long time fan of Roger Dean (and Yes) and FR this makes me mucho del happy.

The Realms needs a shake up – it's become a bit polluted, IMO.

Urlithani

First Post
Owner of a lonely heart!
(much better than a)
Owner of a broken heart!!

da da da ddadadaddadadada da da da! (I need to buy that song OMG!)

So it will look like Outland from World of Warcraft, with sequoia sized mushrooms in Zangarmarsh, to the floating islands suspended in the skies of Netherstorm? Well I suppose I could live with that...or just rule it out of my campaigns.

Ipissimus

First Post
I definitely like the idea of FR having a grander scale and more fantastic settings. I also like the idea of crushing the renaissance themes that I think crept in with Maztica and The Horse Lords.

I'm a little concerned about the Time Gate, but not too much. Probably won't ever factor into my adventures anyway.

But yeah, gimme some of those Motes, mile-high underground castles, mountains carved into the faces of dwarvish lords... oh, whoops, not that one, been done. :D But yeah, more of that thing.

Rodney Matthews might be another good source for inspiration. http://www.rodneymatthews.com/

Remove ads