• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Free Fantasy Architecture (New Stuff! 6/4/03)

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
KnidVermicious said:
To Jurgen:

That sounds interesting. I'll think about it and try to get some stuff together for you.
If you could give me a nice detailed description of a Nexus tower (including what style/color you envision) I could give it a shot. It would take me some time, though.

Well, Nexus Towers can be quite varied, but your tower would certainly one very good possibility.

Either the first or the second picture would do fine. The second might make for a good basis - though perhaps you could use a more subdued color for the roofs instead of green? And some kind of glowing aura around the towers could show the gathering magical energies...

Oh, and if you are interested in designing urban architecture, by all means take a look at Urbis, my homebrew setting - it is basically designed around urban architecture! Many cities have populations upwards of a million, and some kinds of buildings have to house all those people... ;)

Interesting examples of megastructures detailed for Urbis so far include the Garden of Delights, a 30-mile magical dome intended to keep moisture in a desert region, the Hoogenrood Museum of Art, a structure that (when it is finished) is supposed to me several miles wide and more than two hundred yards high, Praxus, a city with more invasive urban planning than any other, and the Tower of Horag, an ancient structure made by unknown hands that rises more than five miles above the plains...

Hey, there is no such thing as "too much fantasy!" :D

KnidVermicious

First Post
Added new image of "Gate of Strength" because I couldn't figure how to edit it into above post

Attachments

• gatestrength4color.jpg
    gatestrength4color.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,121

KnidVermicious

First Post
I think I'd remove the Knid picture and the burned temple picture. As for text...hmmm...I can't really think of anything right now. If you want to put captions that relate to Urbis that would be fine.

And just for you:

Attachments

• nexustower1.jpg
    nexustower1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,104

KnidVermicious

First Post
Jurgen: Thanks for putting me on your site. It's nice to know that someone appreciates this stuff enough to do that.

For the nexus tower I tried to make it a lot darker and creepier. The descriptions on your site give the towers a fairly evil atmosphere.

If you like I could try doing some of the other sites you mentioned. I have some ideas for the Garden already. I think the Library would be interesting, too. Do you have any more details about it? Aside from its size, what do you envision it looking like? Classical columns, gothic buttresses, a mish-mash?

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
KnidVermicious said:
Jurgen: Thanks for putting me on your site. It's nice to know that someone appreciates this stuff enough to do that.

It's a pleasure!

For the nexus tower I tried to make it a lot darker and creepier. The descriptions on your site give the towers a fairly evil atmosphere.

Looks good - though maybe you could make the background a bit brighter? Some kind of cloud grey would be good. Perhaps the tower sucks in light...

If you like I could try doing some of the other sites you mentioned. I have some ideas for the Garden already. I think the Library would be interesting, too. Do you have any more details about it? Aside from its size, what do you envision it looking like? Classical columns, gothic buttresses, a mish-mash?

They are a bit vague... but one of my main inspirations for Urbis, and especially the Flannish Cities region, are the Obscure Cities, a comics universe by the Belgian artists Schuiten and Peeters. Their architectural visions are simply brilliant!

Follow the link to a site with an image gallery, and you will see what I had in mind when I created Urbis...

KnidVermicious

First Post
The gallery looks good. It looks much better organized like that.

I especially like the "of ENWorld fame" bit. I hadn't realized that 12 posts can make you famous:D

Remove ads