Free League is Demiplane’s Latest Nexus

Following its recent Pathfinder 2E and World of Darkness announcements, new tabletop tools platform Demiplane has revealed that Free League’s array of games will be joining them.

78A063DA-FC0E-4D41-BC9D-6228422BD922.jpeg

Demiplane’s Adam Bradford (co-founder of D&D Begind) about the new endeavor and shows a trailer.

With D&D Beyond’s owner Fandom working hard on its acquisition Cortex Prime, along with various licensed properties for use with tabletop RPGs, such as Tales of Xadia, Demiplane looks to be setting itself up as a competitor by powering everything except D&D.

12E81524-4297-4CBE-B3C9-FE9E1D566902.jpeg

Last edited:

Ringtail

World Traveller
. . .But I'll tell you I'm worried that when GW decides to be done with Cubicle 7 that I won't be able to play WFRP anymore on Foundry. Or the instant 6E comes out, DND Beyond will be shuttered and you can't look at your digital copies anymore and 5e is pulled from Roll20.
As more and more games transition to online play (especially due to the pandemic), we're quickly giving up the past idea "I can pull this old book from my shelf and play with my friends anytime I want." . , ,
When it comes to Cubicle 7, I think your fears are somewhat founded. While The One Ring never had a VTT version, as soon as C7 lost/dumped that license (I still don't know what really happened) they pulled all of their products from their store and DriveThruRPG. You cannot buy Adventures in Middle-Earth or The One Ring anymore. Fortunately if you purchased it already, you can download again. I don't know how that will affect VTT stuff, but I believe a similar situation would happen, likely to be removed from distribution but still accessible by users.

However I don't think WoTC is going to abandon 5e like that. Obviously the "new version" is supposed to be backwards compatible, so while that is true I think they are going to want that old material available. Even if they were to pull it, I think we might see them uploaded to DM's Guild as PDFs with all of the other outdated editions.

Still, beyond D&D, all of these game companies release PDFs of their products. A subscription to these services is not at all mandatory, just buy the PDF or the Physical Book, and in a situation like C7 where the PDFs vanish, you can still keep a back-up copy. That isn't any different than losing your physical book to a fire, coffee stain or dog situation.

dirtypool

Explorer
Fortunately if you purchased it already, you can download again. I don't know how that will affect VTT stuff, but I believe a similar situation would happen, likely to be removed from distribution but still accessible by users.
In fairness, this was exactly the argument that I was making. That those who had already purchased the product would likely still be able to use the product but that no one else would be able to purchase it.
Still, beyond D&D, all of these game companies release PDFs of their products. A subscription to these services is not at all mandatory, just buy the PDF or the Physical Book, and in a situation like C7 where the PDFs vanish, you can still keep a back-up copy. That isn't any different than losing your physical book to a fire, coffee stain or dog situation.
Also, exactly the argument I was making.

Retreater

Legend
In fairness, this was exactly the argument that I was making. That those who had already purchased the product would likely still be able to use the product but that no one else would be able to purchase it.

Also, exactly the argument I was making.
I can explain my position further, but I feel like it's off the topic of the thread.
Maybe you'll join me in another thread to discuss it?Digital Content Disappearance Risk Discussion

dirtypool

Explorer
It has nothing to do with disagreement. You brought up topic A (the idea that digital tools increase the risk of games becoming unplayable), I responded to topic A, you climbed up on a soapbox to discuss topic B (the removal of digital subscription tools that are by no means the only way to play the game) and ignored every chance to pull it back toward topic A which is what I was referring to.

It's so clearly the initial topic that it's what everyone else was talking about. It's what Ringtail responded to.

Last edited:

Chromie

Explorer
Starting with a way to find games and a space to connect and play was the essential groundwork for what we had planned for these digital toolsets.

One regret from my former gig was not having a place to "put" the tools we were creating, so we're doing that differently at Demiplane.

And more to share next year - can't wait to share more!

Love using D&D Beyond...but (how do I put this...) is development of new features going to be quicker on Demiplane? I'm someone who vastly prefers digital for both in-person and online but that's something that's important to me now, especially during days of covid.

And I never ever expect this but I would pay obscene amounts of money for Star Wars/Genesys.

Staffan

Legend
And I never ever expect this but I would pay obscene amounts of money for Star Wars/Genesys.
Star Wars is likely not going to happen, unless FFG/Edge has renegotiated their deal with Disney/Lucasfilm. Apparently the license didn't cover electronic media, so they haven't even been selling PDFs themselves of Star Wars books.

Chromie

Explorer
Star Wars is likely not going to happen, unless FFG/Edge has renegotiated their deal with Disney/Lucasfilm. Apparently the license didn't cover electronic media, so they haven't even been selling PDFs themselves of Star Wars books.
That’s why why I never expect it. It would take time and money to sort that out. It’s a pipe dream of mine.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases