Free League is Demiplane’s Latest Nexus

Following its recent Pathfinder 2E and World of Darkness announcements, new tabletop tools platform Demiplane has revealed that Free League’s array of games will be joining them.

78A063DA-FC0E-4D41-BC9D-6228422BD922.jpeg

Demiplane’s Adam Bradford (co-founder of D&D Begind) about the new endeavor and shows a trailer.

With D&D Beyond’s owner Fandom working hard on its acquisition Cortex Prime, along with various licensed properties for use with tabletop RPGs, such as Tales of Xadia, Demiplane looks to be setting itself up as a competitor by powering everything except D&D.

12E81524-4297-4CBE-B3C9-FE9E1D566902.jpeg

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
Star Wars is likely not going to happen, unless FFG/Edge has renegotiated their deal with Disney/Lucasfilm. Apparently the license didn't cover electronic media, so they haven't even been selling PDFs themselves of Star Wars books.
They explained that since PDF includes postscript code, PDFs are software and Disney already gave software rights elsewhere.

Note that PDF is a superset of Postscript and Javascript languages, as well as text encodings of other content types. Both PDF and Javascript are turing-complete programming languages. And so, technically, almost every PDF is in fact software which is run to generate the pages content displayed.

It's litigious-level technicalism... welcome to the 21st C US...

dirtypool

Explorer
Not sure how accurate it is that the contract with Disney doesn’t allow for electronic media in total, because there still exists the official FFG Star Wars dice app which covers the board games, X-Wing and the three core TTRPG games.

Obviously a Demiplane product would require more than just the dice roller, but there might yet be some nuance in the license to allow for it.

My bigger worry would be how much longer Edge retains the SW license. It’s not clear if Edge is still working out contracted years from FFG’s last renewal or whether Disney renegotiated with Edge after the realignment.

Regardless of the SW outcome, I’d love to see Genesys get a robust digital toolset

BadEye

Chief Development Officer at Demiplane
Love using D&D Beyond...but (how do I put this...) is development of new features going to be quicker on Demiplane? I'm someone who vastly prefers digital for both in-person and online but that's something that's important to me now, especially during days of covid.

And I never ever expect this but I would pay obscene amounts of money for Star Wars/Genesys.
While I have been around the block enough to know that software development never happens at the pace that fans would like for it to, I agree with the sentiment and that frustration is something I felt firsthand (but couldn't do anything to improve due to a variety of factors).

I joined Demiplane because we have a chance to bring high-quality support to all these other great games out there, to be able to impact how we go about making that happen, and to benefit from valuable hindsight in doing it.

I can almost guarantee our development pace will not be what everyone would like it to be, but I can say the way we are going about it will make it very efficient given the ground that we are going to cover.

And I don't have anything to share on the Star Wars / Genesys front, but I also learned long ago to never say never.

Chromie

Explorer
While I have been around the block enough to know that software development never happens at the pace that fans would like for it to, I agree with the sentiment and that frustration is something I felt firsthand (but couldn't do anything to improve due to a variety of factors).

I joined Demiplane because we have a chance to bring high-quality support to all these other great games out there, to be able to impact how we go about making that happen, and to benefit from valuable hindsight in doing it.

I can almost guarantee our development pace will not be what everyone would like it to be, but I can say the way we are going about it will make it very efficient given the ground that we are going to cover.

And I don't have anything to share on the Star Wars / Genesys front, but I also learned long ago to never say never.
Of course, I'm fine with waiting. Your weekly updates and Q&A were great to tune into, I do miss them! Very excited with Demiplane and all the different systems that are on board.

Have a happy holiday.

BigZebra

Adventurer
Would love it if 3.5 and Pathfinder 1 would be supported. There’s a lot of OGL content and a an ok sizable player base. Fingers crossed.

BigZebra

Adventurer
Highly unlikely that Wizards would license one version of D&D to Demiplane while the other is with Beyond.
They wouldn't need to license it. A great deal of 3.5 is OGL. And would synergize well with PF1.
Also, currently Fantasy Ground has license for quite a lot 2e, so it could even be possible Wizards woul be open for a license for older editions (since they already are).

dirtypool

Explorer
To release it as D&D 3.5 they would have to license it. If they pared it down to just the OGL content you could not use it to build every possible 3.5 Character because there are non OGL Character options. To make it so that it would serve both 3.5 and PF1 both Wizards and Paizo would have to license it.

That’s a lot of disparate people who have to provide approvals at every step of development. Is the remaining 3.5 player base worth that kind of legal headache?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases