• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FREE PDF to enWorld Members - Mythe Campaign Setting! My way of saying THANKS!

gunter uxbridge

First Post
As my way of saying a big THANK YOU to everyone out there at enWorld, I am offering my first d20 system product for FREE, an original campaign setting called Mythe. A lot of time and effort went into creating this product, and what you will find is a 102 page document detailing the continent of Mythe and the adventures that lie within. A broader distribution on a dedicated web site is planned, but it was my intention that enWOrld members get first dibbs!

The world of Mythe was recently thrown into chaos by a natural disaster that has forced two long standing enemies to coexist for the time being. Other threats, some long standing and others more ancient are seemingly at every turn, and the House of Aurens finds itself in dire straits.

Mythe was designed to give DMs a good framework to build on while leaving some of the more meaty decisions such as high magic/low magic or technology open to individual tastes. In the end, the world is what you want to make of it. I hope you find the setting useful, and greatly anticipate your feedback. Please feel free to e-mail me at d20mythe@yahoo.com.

To download this FREE d20 PDF, just visit our temporary web site at...

http://d20mythe.homestead.com

Have fun!

Travis J. Offenberger
Sporadic Enterprises

Chingerspy

First Post
Nice one!

I've just had a goosey at the map and mmmm lots of forest and lots of water, not having read the document yet I'm instantly wondering if its supposed to be an island with unknown lands across the ocean?

I'll give the pdf a look tomorrow evening maybe.

Thanks again!

Conaill

First Post
Looks cool. Thanks, Travis!

Hmm... permission to nitpick? I was looking at your map, and noticed a few inconsistencies:

- There's a few instances where you have two branches of a river *diverging*: (1) the two rivers flowing from the Pool of Mirrors into Lake Cokun, (2) the Mosby and Amargosa rivers, and (3) the fact that you have 2 separate outlets for Lake Cokun (west from Meridian Station, and the Mosby river). This very rarely happens in the real world, because water always seeks the shortest path downhill. Given the effect of erosion etc, it is extremely unlikely you'd get *two* shortest paths downhill. Could happen when you get extremely slow moving water, such as in a march or a river delta. So if the woods between the Pool of Mirrors and Lake Orkin are very marshy, that might work. And to get two outlets from Cokun, it would have to be close to sealevel. Still doesn't explain the Mosby/Maragosa split though.

- Having the Mosby river flowing from a grassland, *through* a series of hills around Uxbridge, seems a little strange. Could be a case of uplift, in which case you'd get a nice canyon there. (Doesn't work if Cokun is near sealevel though.)

- In your description of the map, you mix up East and West on a number of occasions. E.g. on page 16, you claim the Blackheart Mountains are in the northeast, and that the Lawnsdale Heath is west of Lake Cokun.

- The Emden River and Kamala Island seem to be missing on the map.

- A large lake like Cokun is unlikely to have "murderous currents", unless something funky (i.e. magical) is going on. There's no tides to cause any currents, and there are no narrow channels to cause rapidly moving water.

Don't worry, I do this to everyone. I'm just picky about maps. ;) Nice work otherwise!

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Can I just say, re: Concordia, -X- Heath, Uxbridge, Mosby etc: I love British or otherwise English-sounding names in DnD. Meridian Station is a great name.

Last edited:

gunter uxbridge

First Post
Andrew D. Gable said:
Can I just say, re: Concordia, -X- Heath, Uxbridge, Mosby etc: I love British or otherwise English-sounding names in DnD. Meridian Station is a great name.

As it says in the foreword, a lot of names are stolen from my past game experience or other obscure references. Mythe itself was the name of a ship from my first STar Trek RPG campaign. Concordia is a nod to the old Wing Commander II video game. Uxbridge is a personal D&D name reference (me!) and a STar Trek reference. Lawnsdale Heath is named after a bar from my hometown and Mosby was another ship from the same Star Trek game. Meridian Station was from my present Forgotten Realms campaign and I love it too.

The first thing I did when I started writing was compose a two page list of names for people and places. Nothing stumps me more when writing than trying to think of a good name!!!

Conaill...a few words for you man.....

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

The big reason I posted this was to get feedback exactly like what you gave. I am a one man editing house, and issues like this were bound to crop up. I'm not much of a geology man, but you bring up some good points....most of which will be addressed at a later time. I don't mind the cirticism....in fact, it will only serve to make a better product. So let me thank you for being the first to rip me a new one! :)

BTW...Kamala Island's map is in line with the text on page 63...though I could have marked it better. The label for the Emden River is just plain hard to read. It lies running east to west from the western shore of Cokun. Still learning how to use Campaign Cartographer I guess.

Last edited:

Conaill

First Post
You're welcome. :D

Re: Kamala Island... you may want to put an arrow on the large map to indicate in which direction it lies.

Haven't had a chance to look at the rest of your work, and I probably won't for another several weeks...

You may want to double-check you're legally OK with using some of the artwork in there. For example, I notice you're using some of the PC portraits available on the WotC website. I'm pretty sure those are copyrighted, either by WotC or the original artist. You can use them for personal use, but putting them into a *product* would be a big no-no. It's unlikely they'd push the issue for a free give-away, and I frankly don't know what the legality of that would be.

If you are considering turning this into a real product, you pretty much *have* to get a lawyer involved to make sure you're 100% above board, though...

Good luck with the project!

AGGEMAM

First Post
I've only skimmed so far but it looks real good.

One thing that really struck me is that the Manduka race has a -1 Wisdom adjustment. Ruleswise that's a diffinete no no, racial ability adjustments should always be even numbered.

Given the advantages of the Manduka race, a -2 wisdom adjustment might also be a better choice balancewise.

gunter uxbridge

First Post
I'va already begin incorporating some changes based on feedback here. PLEASE KEEP IT UP! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

One of the biggest changes was the removal of some questionable artwork. The character portraits were always meant to be placeholders and I just plain forgot to remove them. I have some new stuff in their place, but that is it.

A few folks have asked me to e-mail them the two files for one reason or another. As long as I don't get overwhelmed with requests I will attempt to do so. Just e-mail me at d20mythe@yahoo.com and I will do what I can.

THANKS!

Travis J. Offenberger

Remove ads