Freeport's later modules

RichGreen

Adventurer
CaptainChaos said:
Crisis in Freeport is cool. Very action packed, and at the end the succession crisis is resolved.

QFT. I haven't played it but I enjoyed reading it a lot and think it would be great fun to run.

Cheers

Richard

roguerouge

First Post
A question for the Crisis Author

**** Spoilers***

My players should not read this!

Well, Moridin, I loved some aspects of Crisis, which I bought on Free RPG day. I loved the riot, the hurricane, and the use of canons in the finale is awesome! The cabin boy is also innovative.

BUT: I'm running these adventures for my girlfriend.

Do you see the problem I'm facing here? There's many scenes involving sexual assault: preventing it, dealing with survivors of it, and walking in on it in progress. I'm not saying that it's an invalid artistic decision or bad characterization.

But I'm not running that aspect in my game. It will make her viscerally uncomfortable. It makes me viscerally uncomfortable.

So. Since you're the author, I thought I'd ask you for suggestions on how to characterize the bad guys without that plot element.

Best wishes,

David

(And, honestly, I think that your publisher should probably have included a head's up to those thinking of purchasing it.)

talien

Community Supporter
You're not the only one to have noticed this. I'm about to play this adventure this weekend, and I found it odd too.

The misogynistic tone is wildly inconsistent with the rest of Freeport adventures. While I'm all for bad guys being bad, the adventure seems to harp on sexual abuse a bit too much. See for yourself:

P. 10: "If the PCs don't help Lexi, a group of Cutthroats find her. They spend a few hours entertaining their lusts before cutting her throat and tossing her corpse onto the street."

p. 17: "Well-intentioned characters who think to console (Lysa) find her more than amenable, as well as aggressive in her advance, as she hopes to find a new patron for her comfotable lifestyle. If rebuffed, she throws the character out, turning her rage on him (or her) until she's left alone to drink away her sorrows."

p. 20: "There are 25 sahuagin, plus Slayer, their leader, and Sea Bitch, his malenti witch."

p. 24: "(the pirate) and the cabin boy are in the middle of a private meeting and the pirate is angry about the interruption...young master Johnny...(is) more than happy to feed on the crew by catering to their sick perversions."

p. 29: "Once they made landfall, the sailors had their fun, butchering the staff and saving the ladies for a bit of sport."

p. 30: "Few pirates remain in any place for long, moving from room to room, searching for valuables or having a bit of fun with one or more of the serving girls."

p. 31: "Thanks to a few too many harlots in the various ports he's visited, a crop of mouth sores and old scars ring his mouth."

p. 32: "Like Allethra, (Kyl) was a slave and plaything for the previous crew's sadistic exploits."

p. 34: "The pirates entertained their darkest lusts on the survivors, dragging the servants to the various rooms upstairs where their shrieks sounded for hours."

p. 35: "There's a 30% chance for a pirate to be in either room having his way with one of the servants (who has a 50% chance of already being dead)."?!

p. 37: "The pirates now use these rooms to brutalize and assault the surviving staff and guests. If extreme levels of violence are inappropriate for your game, just assume that the pirates have done their deeds and murdered their victims. Otherwise, the PCs might just catch someone in the act."

p. 38: "If the PCs enter this room, one of the pirates callously shouts, 'wait yer turn!'"

p. 41: "A vile man, Cody had a taste for elf boys and would torment them until he grew tired and fed them to the sharks."

The warning on p. 37 seems a bit late.

There's an awful lot of emphasis on the fact that the bad guys have been molested as children, that the pirates rape people before (and sometimes after?) they kill them, and more than one opportunity to catch pirates in the act. While most of this is easy to drop, it's certainly not keeping with the tone of the other Freeport adventures, none of which emphasized (over and over and OVER) that pirates "have a bit of fun" with their victims.

The other thing is that elves in my campaign wouldn't thing of sullying themselves in such a fashion. And since this particular form of violence is motivated by racial hatred (elves vs. humans), the whole thing seems forced. It's all a bit squicky, in my opinion.

roguerouge said:
Anyone got feedback on ... Gangs of Freeport?

Alas, I don't think very many people knew of/purchased GoF. :(

I've always been very disappointed by that fact, since

A) I was pretty happy with the story of, and my work on, the module, and

B) It was my first chance to play in the Freeport sandbox.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm planning on doing an adventure path of Freeport Classic when the Midwood fugitives finally reach there, including Vengeance and Gangs. So, eventually, it'll even get Story Houred. (A mere 10 months behind at this point.)

talien

Community Supporter
Believe it or not I ended up DMing Gangs of Freeport as a solo adventure and had a blast. :)

(ditto on the story hour-ing)

roguerouge

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Alas, I don't think very many people knew of/purchased GoF. :(

I've always been very disappointed by that fact, since

A) I was pretty happy with the story of, and my work on, the module, and

B) It was my first chance to play in the Freeport sandbox.

Can you sell me on the module? What worked, in your opinion? What would you like a second crack at, now that you've got some distance on the project?

Remove ads