D&D 4E From the 4e MM preview: Astraljamming?!

Belorin

Explorer
I like the way this sounds, if spelljamming is in, that means the scorpionship 'Tymora's Revenge' may sail again! I am the Dread Pirate Roberts, there will be no survivors!"
Honestly, if they do incorperate elements of SJ and Planescape into the core concept, then there would be no need for the full on settings.

Bel

Irda Ranger

First Post
Dr. Harry said:
Asmor-Burr Astral spacetime
Nice. Density layers, currents, rivers within the sea, and "fountains and falls" which rise (or fall) between the layers. The River Styx is actually part of a larger Astral River which is merely called Styx by the residents of the Nine Hells. It is associated with the Nine Hells because it is the only safe means of approaching that domain (not that any sane captain would want to).

Belorin said:
Honestly, if they do incorperate elements of SJ and Planescape into the core concept, then there would be no need for the full on settings.
Well, now we know what Manual of the Planes II and III will be about ...

Asmor

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
It is associated with the Nine Hells because it is the only safe means of approaching that domain (not that any sane captain would want to).

The river Styx is one of the longest astral rivers, touching literally every "prime material" plane, as well as the 9 hells and Celestia. The soul of any mortal who dies flows into the river styx, giving it a haunting blue glow. Celestia is the second to last stop on the Styx, and there the celestial gatekeepers fish out the souls of the worthy. The Styx continues on to each of the layers of the 9 hells, with more souls being fished out at each layer, until finally the worst of the worst reach the end of the river in the very bowels of hell.

Of course, the Styx isn't the only Astral river connecting to the nine hells. The Cocytus connects the nine hells to the elemental plane of ice, and nobody's sure where the Lethy ultimately leads, as its dense fog not only block vision but even clouds minds. Some say the Lethy might even be a route to realms beyond the Astral sea itself...

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I am really, really hoping Manual of The Planes will have a section just about Astral Vessels.

I would love to see various types of them. With all different manners of statistics; amount of people they can hold, amount of supplies, cost, manner of movement, weaponry onboard, etc.

Also be great to see rules for Astral Vessel combat, like boarding runs, ramming, sinking, etc.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
It would I imagine be extremely scary to be in a "sinking" Astral Vessel.

Either you would have lost control of it and be carried along the currents of the Astral Sea and eventually collide with a Dominion.

or

You would begin to fall below the Astral Sea, heading downward towards the waiting torrents of the Elemental Chaos or the nothingness of the Abyss.

This could also happen with Dominions (talked about it on the first page). Where for whatever reason, the Dominion has begun to sink down towards the Elemental Chaos/Abyss or becomes a "floating Dominion" and at the mercy of the currents, possibly being sent into a crash-course with other Dominions or Astral Vessels.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
I am really, really hoping Manual of The Planes will have a section just about Astral Vessels......I would love to see various types of them. With all different manners of statistics; amount of people they can hold, amount of supplies, cost, manner of movement, weaponry onboard, etc.
And this time they should be a reasonable size as well. The few examples from 3e were done poorly and tended to be on the small side. Maybe when they're doing ships they could you know actually go look up some RL resources to at least get them close to the right size, instead of capping them at a smallish sloop-of-war.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I personally would love to see huge City Astral Vessels, that have whole populations of people onboard who simply travel through the Astral Sea.

It would also I think be neat to see large Astral Vessel barges or chain-ships that can move Dominions around (perhaps to be harvest for resources or to be moved to a new location for defencive purposes).

Remove ads