D&D 4E From the 4e MM preview: Astraljamming?!

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I don't think they even necessarily have to make it a separate campaign-setting.

Just release a series of supplements set in the core-cosmology that deals specifically with the Astral Sea and your done.

The Manual of The Planes (if it does well) could be the start of that.

How about a new camapign setting. SPellljammer and Placescape inspired, maybe.

"Broken World" - in a great cataclysmn, the world broke apart. It's parts - some not larger then a small house, others hundreds of miles, are now floating through the Astral Sea. The larger isles are still inhabited by humans and other creatures. Astral Ships travel between these remains of the world, bringing supplies, refugees, travelers and news. Some are used to load troops, or even attack smaller rocks, and there are nations battling each other with Astral Battleships.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
How about a new camapign setting. SPellljammer and Placescape inspired, maybe.

"Broken World" - in a great cataclysmn, the world broke apart. It's parts - some not larger then a small house, others hundreds of miles, are now floating through the Astral Sea. The larger isles are still inhabited by humans and other creatures. Astral Ships travel between these remains of the world, bringing supplies, refugees, travelers and news. Some are used to load troops, or even attack smaller rocks, and there are nations battling each other with Astral Battleships.

Actually, it's called 'Sundered Skies" and will be in print soon as a Savage Worlds setting. I had the fortune of reviewing the draft a couple years ago... it'll be worth the wait. No direct link yet, Great White Games has a link to an interview with its author.

Reaper Steve said:
Actually, it's called 'Sundered Skies" and will be in print soon as a Savage Worlds setting. I had the fortune of reviewing the draft a couple years ago... it'll be worth the wait. No direct link yet, Great White Games has a link to an interview with its author.
Proves again that all great ideas have been thought off before! ;) (Assuming this was a great idea, and not just a average one... But I guess even these have been thought of before. ;) )

Hairfoot

First Post
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Andy Collins' excellent Spelljammer: Shadow of the Spider Moon feature in Polyhedron. I didn't take to to AD&D SJ, but SotSM was a compelling re-cast.

Shadow of Spidermoon ships were AWFUL, ugh totally ruined the beautiful designs and artwork of Spelljammer :(

Yes, Spelljammer could sure do with an overhaul and making it easier to run ships and crew (make them like a monster for statistics for example: hit points, DR, # attacks etc).
But the ship designs are just beautiful, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater ;)

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Vaeron said:
They might have to change the name to something other than jammer, and I suppose spell would have to go also since there are many different power sources now...

I have no problem with Planejammer.

Powerscape?

Lurks-no-More

First Post
Silverblade The Ench said:
Yes, Spelljammer could sure do with an overhaul and making it easier to run ships and crew (make them like a monster for statistics for example: hit points, DR, # attacks etc).
But the ship designs are just beautiful, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater ;)
Just as long as you get rid of caravels and other transplanted medieval ships, necessitated by the setting's intended use as a connection between existing worlds. I want Spelljammer ships to be built for spelljamming, or astral sailing!

Klaus

First Post
Lurks-no-More said:
Just as long as you get rid of caravels and other transplanted medieval ships, necessitated by the setting's intended use as a connection between existing worlds. I want Spelljammer ships to be built for spelljamming, or astral sailing!
I have to problem with Astral galleons:

treasure-planet-2.jpg

med stud

First Post
As for astral ships that are sinking or gods that die or are cast out, I think it would be neat if they are meteors. That way you know that when you see a falling star, hell is about to break lose :uhoh:

Remove ads