Frukathka's Challenges

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Sorry I left you hangin' for so long, Fru. Last week was *heck.* This week is shaping up to be much, much better. I just took in an elementary girls softball game. {No, I'm not a scary, creepy, old man. One of the kids I know invited me to come sit with her mom and dad and watch her play!} Before that, I updated my Story Hour. Before tat, I did a little E-mailing and am caught up on work. So ... *cracks knuckles* ... time to talk about the Eagles - and I ain't talkin' 'bout football, neither.

The Wisp of Winged Nature​

Encounter/mini adventure hook for a CR 5 - 8 party

Frukathka said:
Fourth ChallengeOn a dark desert highway
Cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas
Rising up through the air

[Sblock=Colita]For those who are not aware ... and I myself had to look it up ... the colita is often thought to be the tip, and apparently the most potent part, of the marijuana plant.[/Sblock]

The adventurers have just completed their last, best, and greatest adventure. Thinking themselves rich, the leave the city behind them and begin to travel along a well traveled road. Suddenly, movement catches their eye. It appears as if the party disturbed a trio of hippogriffs who were grazing several feet off of the path. The party theif (or scout, ranger, druid, whatever) suddenly remembers just how much a mating pair of hippogriffs can bring in the large cities. The hippogrifs appear to have one slightly larger than the others. [DM's note: Hence, likely to be a male and two females]

Unfortunately, the hippogriffs are able to slightly outpace the party, and if they get too close, the hippogriffs take to the air to escape. On their way back to the road, the party runs across a pair of seemingly hungry violet fungus.

The fungus seem to attack - or at the very least herd to party in a direction, where they are met by a tendriculous. [Fungus, tendriculous = Colita reference] Battle ensues, hopefully the party survives!

Frukathka said:
Up ahead in the distance
I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night

Having dispatched the plants, the party returns to the road just in time to catch a glimpse of the hippogriffs fleeing by air up ahead of them. Of course, the hippogriffs seem to be flying in roughly the direction the party is headed, although a fair bit to the right.

The party continues on until dusk. Just as they consider stopping for the night, a mysterious blinking can be seen down the road, perhaps even as far as a quarter-mile further on. The blinking is completely random, and thus follows no pattern. As the party approaches, the blinking slows, but continues to be completely random in pattern. When the party closes to within 100 feet, they notice that the blinking is occuring at eye level before it stops entirely. When the blinking stops, the party notices that there is absolutely nothing where the blinking is occuring. [DM note: Will o' wisps, who are turning on and off their invisibility. Will o' wisps = shimmering light]

Just before the party moves on, they notice that the blinking is occurring to their right, about 100 feet into the forest beside them. Should the party choose not to investigate, the blinking continues to follow them for another mile until either the party ignores it completely or the party chooses to investigate. Should the party at any time choose to investigate, the party is led by the random blinking leads the party into the vicinity of a black pudding. Combat ensues.

Frukathka said:
There she stood in the doorway
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself
This could be Heaven or this could be Hell
Then she lit up a candle
And she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor
I thought I heard them say.

Assuming the party is victorious, the blinking never returns. Without the ability to see invisibility, the party is unable to learn the true nature of the will o' wisps. Continuing on, the party runs across a small village a few miles up the road. In the small village is a small inn/tavern. The husband apparently runs the tavern, while the wife runs the inn. The woman is considerably open to allowing nuances drip through the conversation about not being happy in her current marriage.

Frukathka said:
Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year
You can find it here

When the woman leaves, each of the party members discover that the innkeeper is telepathic. She can sense their needs and desires and they discover that quite often she comes to the door and produces what they need before they can ask (so long as it is simple: water, food, bath, sheets, blanket, etc). The woman's ability to sense their needs makes the motel seem inviting and welcoming. The personna of the woman continues to be pleasant and inviting.

Frukathka said:
Her mind is Tiffany twisted
She's got the Mercedes Benz
She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys
That she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard
Sweet summer sweat
Some dance to remember
Some dance to forget
So I called up the Captain
Please bring me my wine
He said
We haven't had that spirit here since 1969
And still those voices are calling from far away
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely face
They're livin' it up at the Hotel California
What a nice surprise
Bring your alibies

Mirrors on the ceiling
The pink champaign on ice
And she said
We are all just prisoners here
Of our own device
And in the master's chambers
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives
But they just can't kill the beast
Last thing I remember
I was running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
'Relax' said the nightman
'We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave

As the night continues, the party begin to get more and more hints as to the woman's true identity. The longer the party stays, the more promiscuous she becomes. [DM's note: The woman is a succubous with 3 levels of druid] Should the party ever allow itself to be seperated, the woman eagerly changes shape and form to please the various groups. Should the party ever catch on to her rouse, she is not averse to changing shape to get them to work against each other or possibly even to be a poor beaten serving waitress that the woman's husband has beaten. In this case, she begs to be kept safe by the party until morning. If she is welcomed by the aprty, she continues to travel with them as long as it takes for her to split the party against themselves and plunder them or else to dominate over them and bring them back to this inn as her slaves.

Should the party accept her invitation, she reveals that she has a minor ability to summon natural creatures, and summons a hippogriff. She confesses to summoning the hippogriffs earlier in the day in hopes of leading the party to her rescue.

=========

Well, not quite as in-depth as the last one, but this one leaves the back half open to DM/party interaction.

Capellan

Explorer
Ironically, I played in a Call of Cthulhu convention game back in January than was based on Hotel California.

My character died horribly, so all went well :)

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Challenge #5

New week, new challenge.

Let's see what materials you can come up with based off of Metallica's Unforgiven II (lyrics):

Lay beside me, tell me what they have done.
And speak the words I want to hear to make
my demons run.
The door is locked now, but it's opened if you're true.
If you can understand the me, then I can understand the you.

Lay beside me, under wicked sky.
Through black of day, dark of night,
we share this paralyze.
The door cracks open,
but there's no sun shining through.
Black heart scarring darker still,
but there's no sun shining through.
No, there's no sun shining through.
No, there's no sun shining.

What I've felt, what I've known.
Turn the pages, turn to stone.
Behind the door,
should I open it for you?
Yeah.
Sick and tired, I stand alone.
Could you be there?
'cause I'm the one who waits for you.
Or are you unforgiven, too?

Come lay beside me.
This won't hurt, I swear.
She loves me not, she loves me still,
but she'll never love again.
She lay beside me, but she'll be there when I'm gone.
Black heart scarring darker still.
Yeah, she'll be there when I'm gone.
Dead sure she'll be there.

Behind the door.
Should I open it for you?
Yeah.
Could you be there?
Cause I'm the one who waits for you.
Or are you unforgiven too?

Lay beside me, tell me what I've done.
The door is closed, so are your eyes,
but now I see the sun.
Now I see the sun.
Yes, now I see it.

Behind the door.
Yeah.
So sick and tired, I stand alone.
Could you be there?
'Cause I'm the one who waits,
the one who waits for you, oh.

Behind the door.
(So I dub thee unforgiven.)

Oh. What I've felt.
Oh, what I've known.

I take this key and I bury it in you,
(Never be, never me.)
because your unforgiven, too.
(Never be, never me.)
Cause you're unforgiven too. Oh, oh, oh.

papastebu

First Post
Frukathka said:
New week, new challenge.

Or are you unforgiven, too?

Come lay beside me.
This won't hurt, I swear.
She loves me not, she loves me still,
but she'll never love again.
She lay beside me, but she'll be there when I'm gone.
Black heart scarring darker still.
Dead sure she'll be there.

Could you be there?
Cause I'm the one who waits for you.
Or are you unforgiven too?

Lay beside me, tell me what I've done.
The door is closed, so are your eyes,
but now I see the sun.
Now I see the sun.
Yes, now I see it.

I'm the one who waits,
(So I dub thee unforgiven.)

One of the PCs is a vampire, or an NPC vampire hires the PCs. The vampire has turned a girl that he loved as a mortal, and he wants the PCs to travel as he cannot, to find a cure, which all say cannot be found. After adventuring for a time, with the vampire's evil becoming more and more prevalent, and his and the local girl's redemption more remote, an obscure legend tells of a ritual that can be performed under an eclipsed sun, and it will not only restore the undead to themselves, but redeem all of their victims, as well.
The PCs find the ritual after sacking an ancient keep held by all manner of nasty undead---I modify everything, so these would be my spin on the standards, all the way up to lichdom, maybe, although I think they are a little too unscary, as opposed to powerful vampires and the like---and have to fight their way free, taking a large chunk out of the undead population. Alas, the initial PC or NPC, whichever, is saved, but his minion, the girl, is beyond redemption---like most things of this nature, you gotta wanna be saved in order to be saved---and becomes the BBEG for the final stage of the adventure/campaign/whatever. He is forced to destroy the evil that he created, though he loves her, still.

Last edited:

Remove ads