WotC Frylock's Gaming & Geekery Challenges WotC's Copyright Claims

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If this continues, maybe WotC should bring out the actual employee(s) who wrote the stat blocks in contention and have them countersue for IP theft, since he was so stupid as to slap his copyright on someone else's work.

Hasbro pays salary to their content creators, so they don't need to have the individual sue, it is corporate property.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
is the lawyer bashing so necessary? A lot of people on forums like this would be offended by people trolling with nerd and geek stereotypes.

I chuckle with the best of them at good stereotypical nerd jokes. Also IT guy jokes (Have you seen The IT Crowd? It is hilarious and stereotypical), white guy jokes, and any other demographic I fall into (I'll refrain from mentioning my politic leanings or religion per the forum rules, but be assured I chuckle at them).

If you can't laugh at yourself, you're missing out on a lot of laughing. And laughing is good for the *soul.

*I am of course assuming lawyers have souls. I understand this is a matter of some debate

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hi! I am a gamer and a non-practicing attorney. First, Frylock's arguments are tenable. Second, opinions are fine to share, but is the lawyer bashing so necessary? A lot of people on forums like this would be offended by people trolling with nerd and geek stereotypes. If you have a valid contribution to make, I'd like to hear it. But aren't we better than trolling with stereotypical lawyer jokes?

Well, he’s publicly called us trolls, so I guess all’s fair? :)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Hi! I am a gamer and a non-practicing attorney. First, Frylock's arguments are tenable.

I think some of his arguments re: stat blocks not being copyrightable are tenable. Though I think he's being extremely flippant on the non-creative nature of the stat blocks. As stated several times, the very nature of translating the mythology into a tangible number is creative.

When you put it in with his whole argument (eg. I should be able to copy WoTCs stuff with impunity and pass it off as my own work) it seems to fall apart quickly.

Second, opinions are fine to share, but is the lawyer bashing so necessary? A lot of people on forums like this would be offended by people trolling with nerd and geek stereotypes. If you have a valid contribution to make, I'd like to hear it. But aren't we better than trolling with stereotypical lawyer jokes?

People tend to react badly when their opinions are dismissed. This guy's extremely condescending tone isn't helping, particularly when his extremely arrogant opinion isn't that justified and could use to be deflated.

Heck, thanks to a bout of procrastination, I ran this scenario by a few IP attorneys, His 100% of attorneys agree with me isn't holding up that well.

Last edited:

Remove ads