WotC Frylock's Gaming & Geekery Challenges WotC's Copyright Claims

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Frylock, of Frylock's Gaming & Geekery, is a lawyer. He recently received an email from WotC requesting that he take down his one-stop stat blocks, a request with which he has chosen not to comply. He has put together the first of three blog posts outlining the legal situation.

at-oreillys.jpg

In the first, he outlines some basic copyright law concepts. His next one will look at spell descriptions, and the third one will "expose the true nature of the Open Gaming License".

The email from WotC seems fairly benign (they’ve sent me much sterner emails in the past!) It’s fairly friendly, and framed as a request. I don’t know what the tone of his response to them was like.

He opens with the statement that "WotC has a history of taking advantage of gamers’ ignorance of contract and intellectual property law and lack of wealth when making similar demands, thus harming the gaming community and industry, so it’s time those issues are addressed."

His essay goes into some depth, and is an interesting read. But here's his conclusion: "If stat blocks don’t go beyond the traditional description of the traits of a mythological creature, or how those traits are expressed properly within the context of 5th edition mechanics, then the game designers have no right, nor should they, to forbid them from being republished by a third party. Drawing that line can be difficult, but even if there’s an arbitrary choice being made in a stat block, it still may be safe to republish, as that choice must represent a modicum of creativity to warrant protection. A stick figure is creative in nature and thus copyrightable subject matter, but most of them aren’t creative enough in practice to warrant a copyright. Some are. For the vast majority of stat blocks, the analysis is easy, and you should be able to republish them. Just keep in mind that large companies are better able to finance a lawsuit than you are."

It's not legal advice, and I'm not enough of an expert to evaluate it in any way, but it's certainly interesting.

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
From some of the public after-action reports over the decades, it wasn't so much taking advantage of others' ignorance as being ignorant themselves.
Lack of wealth though; that is a thing. Litigation is expensive and stressful.

If stat blocks don’t go beyond the traditional description of the traits of a mythological creature, or how those traits are expressed properly within the context of 5th edition mechanics

This is going to get ripped to shreds. There is no "proper" way to express the traits of a mythological creature. Last time I read the Odyssey it made no mention of Polyphemus' AC.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Maybe the first thing he should have done is have an example of each, his one shot stat block and WoTC. Never heard of the guy, bought anything but in this day and social media age, the I’ve got 1326 followers on Instagram so my opinion of myself might be inflated on my impact to something....like his statement WoTC owes a lot of their sales to my involvement in the community and his Con back in 2011/2012. You lost me there...your involvement at the end of a dying edition probably meant 21 PHB sales if that so stop implying your a force inside the gaming community. Yeah I probably should get a cup of coffee when I wake up so I don’t fire off the cuff in the morning :)

In the end, do I care. Not really as I don’t try and sale stuff like this, just and Dm and player for 32 years....but this isn’t a David vs Goliath situation so if WoTC ban roll lawyer team stretches this out and small time lawyer guy can’t stand the expense and he caves...I’m not surprised.

Rhianni32

Adventurer
I'm not fully convinced he is is in the right.
He makes the case of stat blocks and mythical creatures. He uses the cyclops from public domain as an example. And of using logic about the strengths and weaknesses of a cyclops for his selection of abilities in his stat block. Great and I agree. WOTC probably agrees because how many homebrews are out there on reddit, homebrewery, for free on drivethrurpg and DMsGuild that aren't getting take down notices?
Yeah the stat block itself isn't the problem.

In another of his posts, WOTC gives details.
"It looks like you’ve basically copied the text from our books, added check boxes and spell descriptions, and then placed your own copyright notice on the bottom. "

Additionally, hismonsters are not limited to the open content but specific printed books like Volos and Tales of the Yawning Portal.
I cannot find any of those to download. Probably were removed while this is being sorted out. However.... if he is in the right as he is saying why take them down? If I missed them somewhere someone point out where to grab these copies I'm curious to what extent they were copied or rephrased.

If he is copying word for word out of the PHB on specific spells like Otto or Mordenkainen that are IP specific and taking monster stats from copyrighted books, then placing his copyright on the work.... yeah they have a legitimate beef with him. And his copyright is what is confusing. He goes to great length that this can't be copyrighted.... but why did he do it then? Again I cannot find them anymore and did not see the actual copyright of his. Just going off WOTC comment above so I could be wrong here.

I'm by no means a lawyer and it looks like he has other lawyers reading and reviewing his material. Its certainly an interesting topic and I'm looking forward to his 2 other articles.

Last edited:

I fear this will end in WotC shutting down homebrew on reddit and multiple other sites, no matter who's in the right. Corporate logic.
So I hope this Frylock character packs his stuff before upper level WotC/Hasbro takes serious notice.

Dausuul

Legend
Based on my limited understanding of copyright law, he's correct in his claims, but he's also walking a very fine line in an area without a lot of legal precedent. The point of the OGL was to give us non-lawyers a way to create D&D-compatible material without having to navigate the legal hazards in taking Frylock's approach. We accept the restrictions in the OGL, and in exchange we are allowed to use WotC's rules text as-is, without having to worry about whether a given block of text is sufficiently "creative" that we must rewrite it before we can use it.

He may well succeed in his legal fight, but most of us are not equipped to do what he's doing.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Based on my limited understanding of copyright law, he's correct in his claims, but he's also walking a very fine line in an area without a lot of legal precedent.
It seems like that’s kind of the point. Based on his opening statement about WotC “taking advantage of gamers’ (...) lack of wealth,” it seems like part of his aim is to get some precedent set.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
His essay goes into some depth, and is worth the read. But here's his conclusion: "If stat blocks don’t go beyond the traditional description of the traits of a mythological creature, or how those traits are expressed properly within the context of 5th edition mechanics, then the game designers have no right, nor should they, to forbid them from being republished by a third party. Drawing that line can be difficult, but even if there’s an arbitrary choice being made in a stat block, it still may be safe to republish, as that choice must represent a modicum of creativity to warrant protection. A stick figure is creative in nature and thus copyrightable subject matter, but most of them aren’t creative enough in practice to warrant a copyright. Some are. For the vast majority of stat blocks, the analysis is easy, and you should be able to republish them. Just keep in mind that large companies are better able to finance a lawsuit than you are."

I've watched Mike Mearls create monster stat blocks: arbitrary decisions abound. This will not hold up in court.

Remove ads