Full Attacks and AoO Poll

Nimloth

First Post
In another Forum there is a person claiming that RAW say "Ranged attacks in a Full Attack action don't provoke an AoO." This is based off of;
SRD said:
Table: Actions in Combat
Standard Action Attack of Opportunity1
Attack (melee) No
Attack (ranged) Yes
Full-Round Action Attack of Opportunity1
Full attack No
My questions are;
Do you play this way?
Have you ever heard of anyone playing this way (other than here)?

[sblock=My thoughts]My interpretation is the "no" refers to the act of Full Attack, not how you are attacking. How you attack (ranged, unarmed, disarm, sword...)is a seperate question and can provoke an AoO.

And I have never in 8+ years of 3.x DnD ever heard anyone claim this.[/sblock]

Taking the Full Attack action, by itself, does not provoke an AoO. However, you make multiple "Attack (ranged)"s as part of the full attack. Each one of these Attacks provokes an AoO (although in almost all cases, an enemy can only make one AoO against you).

prospero63

First Post
Taking the Full Attack action, by itself, does not provoke an AoO. However, you make multiple "Attack (ranged)"s as part of the full attack. Each one of these Attacks provokes an AoO (although in almost all cases, an enemy can only make one AoO against you).

+2 I have never seen anyone do that.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Yeah... Whoever is claiming this doesn't seem to really get the rules. If you try to shoot someone right next to you, no matter how many times you try, you are going to get smacked. It doesn't matter if you try to shoot someone 3 times or once, anyone that's fighting you is going to try to stop your shots.

So, never seen, never heard of this interpretation until now.

Delta

First Post
Agree with DG. Full attack doesn't provoke. However, each individual ranged attack within provokes. 4 missiles shot = 4 AOO's.

prospero63

First Post
Agree with DG. Full attack doesn't provoke. However, each individual ranged attack within provokes. 4 missiles shot = 4 AOO's.

Yep. Famous last words... "I guess we will see if he has combat reflexes..." only followed by the slightly less famous "Let me try again, no way his dex can be that high..."

Runestar

First Post
While we are on this topic, is there any way for the archer to avoid provoking the AoOs? Assuming he can't move out of reach. Is there a "casting defensively" equivalent for ranged attacks?

Slander

Explorer
If you are using an Exotic Ranged weapon (such as the Greatbow), the Exotic Weapon Master PrC from CW has Close Quarters Ranged Combat. Never found anything else (and rightly so, IMO).

Remove ads