Fumble hits, or limited magic use!

Steven McRownt

First Post
Well, even if i appreciated the Greathouse's critical hits, i still do not use them in my campaign. For rule balance, i'm waiting to find a way to calculate fumbles...

I was thinking to an house rule to let magic items be "temporary": after some months of harldy use a longsword +2 became +1 and then just a masterwork longosword...

I put the two things together, and....

After a 1 (for a fighter with weapon specialization on that weapon after two 1s) the weapon must pass a fort save CD [15+ strenght bonus of the owner] or loose an enchantment, if magic; or become normal, if masterwork; or break if normal.

Steven McRownt

ps I know that i almost an idea of an house rule: i expect to find some good contributions and let this idea grow! Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

fba827

Adventurer
Well, you're talking about removing the concept of permanancy from magical items. If you do it for weapons, you'll have to find a way to do it for other magic items (armor, staves, wands, rings, misc., etc).

Then, that also leads into the tricky topic of permanent magic spells. If they are not permanent anymore, what are you going to do to thier duration and how are you going to adjudicate when to "lessen" its effect since you won't be doing attack rolls for each ot those and the like.

It sounds like an interesting idea but at the same time, it sounds like it would also involve reworking the concept of magic permanency entirely.

Maybe if you just had certain magic items whose magical properties themselves faded as part of their uniqye definition rather than making this a blanket change for all magic weapons and such.

?

Steven McRownt

First Post
fba827 said:
Well, you're talking about removing the concept of permanancy from magical items. If you do it for weapons, you'll have to find a way to do it for other magic items (armor, staves, wands, rings, misc., etc).

It sounds like an interesting idea but at the same time, it sounds like it would also involve reworking the concept of magic permanency entirely.

?

Well, i have this kind of rough idea, but i was looking for an help to shape it. That's the point anyway. I want to find a way to let permanency not being permanent. I don't want to make a new type of magical items (use and throw: i say RECYCLE IT), i think that perhaps a true permanency could be an "epic spell", but in general there should be a way to limit a magic item in terms of time.

Steven McRownt

Steven McRownt

First Post
Comment ça va, Peterka?

I hope that u'll find the words to give me a reply good to his meaning!!!!

Anyway, what's wrong in your opinion with this idea? It could be a good way to limit the use of magic weapons, and in theory not have a world like forgotten realms already saturated of magic items...

Steven McRownt

Remove ads