Fun opponents for 11th level characters?

RandomCitizenX

First Post
A friend and I are going visit our old DM and his wife (who is my cousin and a member of our old gaming group) for a week or so. A request was made for me to run a game for the three and the wife's brother as a one shot. I of course am more than happy to oblige, and after talking things over with my old DM the request was made to start above lvl 6 or so since life has been preventing any of our games from really getting started. I decided on 11th since I have been wanting to see things from the paragon tier in action for awhile. The group has decided upon a Swordmage (old DM), Wizard or Invoker (DM's wife), Monk (other cousin), and Runepriest (traveling friend). No builds are decided as far as I know.

Now that the scenario is established what are some mechanically fun or interesting opponents for my four 11th level characters to take on? What could I use as a big boss battle?

Cyronax

Explorer
Try this for an mid-session encounter:

- adult blizzard dragon (catastrophic dragon from MM3) -- Lvl 12 Elite Controller
- 2 air elementals (from MM3) -- Lvl 10 Lurkers

I have always thought catastrophic dragons are good to use as elementals that a dark sorcerer/warlock/cult could create or summon to sow discord and destruction.

Virindi

First Post
Try this for an mid-session encounter:

- adult blizzard dragon (catastrophic dragon from MM3) -- Lvl 12 Elite Controller
- 2 air elementals (from MM3) -- Lvl 10 Lurkers

I have always thought catastrophic dragons are good to use as elementals that a dark sorcerer/warlock/cult could create or summon to sow discord and destruction.

This is a fun encounter. I have used this exact monster encounter. My players are all power gamers, so I also threw in some winds that attacked fortitude which on a hit would push all creatures around 1d6 squares every round on crit the creature fell prone as well. Everyone had fun with the creatures and the winds.

Destil

Explorer
Drow, a balhannoth, and a mind flayer.

Also, don't do a one shot at 11th level.

Too many options.

The main thing with a high level one-shot is you need to be really careful handing out feats. Avoid complex feats as much as possible, things that you can factor into the math on your sheet and forget are a lot easier.

RandomCitizenX

First Post
Although I appreciate the concern I really don't think the options present for 11th level are going to prove to be a problem. The group is made up of intelligent and experienced people who have a good deal of gaming experience under their belt.

I definitely am going to use the dragon and air elementals encounter as a mid point fight in the plot. It fits well with the theme of the combat without any re skinning.

Remove ads