D&D 5E [Fun]Really Broken Combos

auburn2

Adventurer
My interpretation is you can "write in" any race with a custom lineage. If the player writes in "Tiefling" they can qualify for tiefling racial feats (but obviously not half orc racial feats).
That is not my understanding. If a character is a custom lineage, he gets the custom lineage traits only. It would be way OP to give someone a +2 ASI, a feat, a free skill plus everything you get with Tiefling.

You can be a custom lineage Tiefling, or a half orc that looks like a Tiefling or anything in between, but the only things you get are the things in custom lineage (+2 ASI, a feat or darkvision, a skill)

auburn2

Adventurer
How is a 3rd level artificer getting 2nd level artificer spells?

As a half caster a 3rd level artificer is still casting only 1st level spells. When multiclassing she would eventually get higher level spell slots and be able to upcast those 1st spells. But I don't see how she ever gets access to higher level artificer spells?
YOu are correct. I changed my post to reflect that. She still can prepare more spells than a wizard though.

Hohige

Explorer
That is not my understanding. If a character is a custom lineage, he gets the custom lineage traits only. It would be way OP to give someone a +2 ASI, a feat, a free skill plus everything you get with Tiefling.

You can be a custom lineage Tiefling, or a half orc that looks like a Tiefling or anything in between, but the only things you get are the things in custom lineage (+2 ASI, a feat or darkvision, a skill)
Yes, The Flame of Pheletos and custom Lineage Works perfectly.

So a week ago or so Colby of the "D&D Optimized" Youtube channel, which liked to use custom lineage "elves" with Elven Accuracy in a lot of builds and got tired of having to throw up caveats about asking your DM because there was no official ruling asked his viewers to (gently) mass pester Jeremy Crawford to this effect:

It's just a tweet; run it as you like at your table. Personally I agree in as much as I think it was cheap and power gamey using custom lineage but then nominally calling yourself an X for the sake of qualifying for a feat, and I also think some of the racial feats are about being the elfiest elf that ever elfed, or what have you, and it was weird to have offbrand "honorary members" of X race get it sooner then proper ones. But I also see a missed opportunity in as much as I feel like some of the racial feats might make more sense as things you start the game with. Also I feel like the racial feats tend to be more flavorful and lend themselves to replacing racial features and the whole premise of custom lineage is to use a feat to build your own racelike thing.

auburn2

Adventurer
Yes, The Flame of Pheletos and custom Lineage Works perfectly.
I think the rules-lawyer answer would be as long as you are a custom-lineage Tiefling. So you can be a custom lineage Tiefling that looks like a halfling, but you can't be a custom lineage half Orc that looks like a Tiefling.

At my table though, if you wanted to take the feat you could take the feat. That would end the sillyness required to be "legal". I would probably let you do it as a V. Human too.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I think the rules-lawyer answer would be as long as you are a custom-lineage Tiefling. So you can be a custom lineage Tiefling that looks like a halfling, but you can't be a custom lineage half Orc that looks like a Tiefling.

At my table though, if you wanted to take the feat you could take the feat. That would end the sillyness required to be "legal". I would probably let you do it as a V. Human too.
A rules lawyer is strict about the wording of RAW and would follow the where it says "Instead of choosing one of the game's races...". The rules lawyer would think that you are a race (potentially modified by the Customizing Your Origin choices) or your are built using the Custom Lineage sidebar, but know the second explicitly precludes being the first.

Remove ads