Fun with Demi-Rangers!

Dorian_Grey

First Post
So I'm working on a campaign world for my 5e group which has a group of barbarian Hill Dwarves that live in the arctic north. But the idea originally came when I first got the Complete Ranger's Handbook, and it had rules for Demi-Rangers. Specifically, the ranger class was restricted to half-elf, elf, and human, but by following a certain set of rules you could have a demi-ranger class (all optional and DM's discretion). One rule was that your gnome, dwarf, or halfling had to take a kit:

Race KitMax Level
Dwarf
- Guardian15
- Mountain Man15
- Warden15
Gnome
- Forest Runner11
- Pathfinder11
- Stalker11
Halfling
- Explorer9
- Feralan9
- Sea Ranger9

So from this table I actually created two whole cultures: the barbarian hill dwarves mentioned above, and also a race of sea faring, swamp living Halflings for a bronze age/Egyptian campaign setting. They lived on boats made out of reeds, were known for their mastery of papyrus, but had no native metal working skills. Most of their weapons were stone or bone.

I wanted to know if you guys have any stories to share of your own adventures with demi-rangers. Have you used them? Offered them? Played them? I'd love to hear more! :)

I've never used the demi-ranger rules -- missed that generation -- but I do like, even prefer, non-human ranger characters. The dwarven underdark hunter, the classic elven archer ranger (named Picard, of course), the halfling bounder ranger and his riding dog ... great concepts all.

Dorian_Grey

First Post
I love it. The halfling boundary ranger and his riding dog is already inspiring other ideas. I love the idea of smaller races on alternative mounts. Halflings on dogs, gnomes on deer, dwarves on bears drinking beer :D

All fun!

Remove ads