Fun with ECLs

Caliber

Explorer
Okay, so soon my group will be starting a new campaign with a new DM who has decided to be very open with character creation.

As such, many players are considering taking a race with an ECL. So far we have a Half-Drow/Half-Dragon (ECL +5/+6), a Fairy (ECL +3) and another contemplating a Half-Celestial (ECL +5).

My questions are for a few things.

First could anyone help me with ECLs for some templates in the Manual of the Planes? Half-Elemental? Shadow? The lawful and chaos ones? I could compare most of them to their good/evil equivalents but I am not sure their power matches. More over I have no idea for the Shadow template.

Secondly, would someone explain how ECLs really work?

Does a character with an ECL of +3 start with the experience of a 3rd level character? Or with none? To be honest I think the rules for ECLs aren't worded very well.

Thanks for any answers.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Caliber said:
Does a character with an ECL of +3 start with the experience of a 3rd level character? Or with none? To be honest I think the rules for ECLs aren't worded very well.

A character with an ECL +3 race and no class gets the minimum XP for level 3; a character with an ECL +3 race and 3 levels gets the minimum XP for level 6.

Caliber

Explorer
Thanks CRGreathouse. That is what I thought but I couldn't prove it. My party will probably listen when someone agrees though. I get no respect. :(

While I am replying I will add a third question.

Do Half-Clestials (and Half-Fiends for that matter) still gain 1 feat per 3 levels? Or do they gain 1 feat per 4? I would say 1 per 3, because the template says to use the base creature if it possesses greater. My party disagrees.

Thanks for the help. :D

Wolf72

Explorer
normally 1 per 4 lvls (just like a 1/2 dragon) ... but if the creature has class levels then it gains feats (and skill points) according to the class.

so yup, it would change to 1 per 3 lvls if it has class (only class lvls though ...)

a 3rd lvl ogre 1/2 dragon warrior would get: 1 feat (from 4HD Ogre), 1 feat (first lvl), 1 feat (3rd lvl warrior)

(might be off on getting the feat at 1st lvl though)

MythandLore

First Post
Caliber said:
First could anyone help me with ECLs for some templates in the Manual of the Planes? Half-Elemental? Shadow? The lawful and chaos ones? I could compare most of them to their good/evil equivalents but I am not sure their power matches. More over I have no idea for the Shadow template.
Okay I'll bite.
I don't know if I'm answering your question they way you wanted.

Elemental (Air, Fire, Water, Earth, Wood), Axiomatic and Anarchic Creatures are equal to Fiendish and Celestial Creatures from MM.

Half-Elemental Creatures (Air, Fire, Water, Earth) are equal to Half-Fiend (Half-Celestial CR is diffrent) and Half-Dragon Creatures from MM.

The Shadow Creatures is kind of like th Half-Celestial Temp from the MM.
They are both +1CR.
Try and kind of think of a "Shadow Creature" as almost a half-undead, i.e. half-ghost, half-lich, half-vampire.

Another way to think of a Shadow Creature is a very limited full creature, equal in strength to the powers of an Elemental (Air, Fire, Water, Earth, Wood), Axiomatic, Anarchic, Fiendish or Celestial Creature of 7HD or less.

Hope that gives you an idea.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Half celestial is +3 ECL only !

Feats are according to character class... not template. Monsters with half celestial could benefit from feats of the template but not a character class.

Remove ads