• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Furiosa

Argyle King

Legend
Short and sweet because I don't want to spoil anything:

I highly enjoyed the movie. The look, feel, and tone of the movie was a vast improvement over the previous film.

I don't know exactly how to explain it, but the film just felt right. Despite looking visually cool (and having an okay-ish story,) the previous film didn't feel like it fit into the world of Mad Max.

At times, Furiosa reminded me of the old MM movies; at times, Furiosa felt a bit like Conan-style Sword & Sorcery but with cars and guns instead of magic.

The battle scenes were cool. Nothing felt jarring or violated my suspension of disbelief. Even the things that (based on what I know of fixing cars and various other subjects) were kinda BS were still plausible-ish and made sense in the context of the story and the general vibe of the MM world.

Via the various personalities of characters and their conflicts, there are insights into worldbuilding and what things are like. There are a lot of ideas (and encounter ideas) that I plan to use when I run games.

If this movie had been the first Furiosa movie, I suspect that the Mad Max franchise would be healthier today and contain more movies.

TLDR: I highly enjoyed Furiosa. It is a vast improvement over the previous movie.

Argyle King

Legend
I don't even know how this could be possible. Fury Road is almost pitch perfect.

Different people interpret things differently I suppose.

I enjoyed Fury Road, but it didn't quite capture what I wanted at the time. There were times when it seemed to be parodying itself. Still an enjoyable film, but -at the time, there were aspects of it that lacked some of the underlying soul of the franchise. Perhaps the strangest thing (for me) about Fury Road was that there were times when the film seemed determined to humiliate Max; he was superfluous to a movie marketed on the back of his name.

To me, Furiosa has a grit to it that was somewhat lost to Fury Road's visual spectacle. Furiosa just feels right. It feels like a Mad Max film, with a splash of Conan's sense of sword & sorcery adventure and a touch of a gritty westerns seriousness. It also presents Furiosa (and other characters) in a way that allows her to stand on her own merits, without needing to take positive aspects away from other characters.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
To me, Furiosa has a grit to it that was somewhat lost to Fury Road's visual spectacle. Furiosa just feels right. It feels like a Mad Max film, with a splash of Conan's sense of sword & sorcery adventure and a touch of a gritty westerns seriousness. It also presents Furiosa (and other characters) in a way that allows her to stand on her own merits, without needing to take positive aspects away from other characters.
I feel like all that description applied to Fury Road, but in any case I am super excited to see Furiosa.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
For me the franchise peaked with 3 Thunderdome, but I'm an old guy. Still, I enjoyed Fury Road and from what the OP wrote I will probably enjoy Furiosa too when it comes to streaming. I mean, it's not really possible to dislike big-budget post-apoc movies, even if they're flawed, right? Just like any descent budget movies with laser guns, swords vs monsters and/or magic.

Edit: And spaceships. Especially spaceships.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
For me the franchise peaked with 3 Thunderdome,

I’m old too, and I thought no one liked Thunderdome. Glad I was wrong about that.

(Mad Max 2 was/is everything to me in this series - I saw it at that very, very impressionable age. Then I saw Thunderdome at that age where nothing is ever new/different/edgy enough.)

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
I’m old too, and I thought no one liked Thunderdome. Glad I was wrong about that.

(Mad Max 2 was/is everything to me in this series - I saw it at that very, very impressionable age. Then I saw Thunderdome at that age where nothing is ever new/different/edgy enough.)
Yeah, 2 had me in awe too. But when Thunderdome came I was old enough to take in the scenes with the vision of what once was. And that sad-nostalgic tone put the mohawks and petrol fights in perspective. Most important, Bartertown was such a concentrate of rpg setting goodness with so many potential plot details! I mean, in a game one could play for years in and around it.

Argyle King

Legend
Yeah, 2 had me in awe too. But when Thunderdome came I was old enough to take in the scenes with the vision of what once was. And that sad-nostalgic tone put the mohawks and petrol fights in perspective. Most important, Bartertown was such a concentrate of rpg setting goodness with so many potential plot details! I mean, in a game one could play for years in and around it.

From that perspective, I think you'll enjoy Furiosa.

There's enough detail hinted at in Furiosa that you could build a campaign setting around it.

Old as well. I remember people liking it well enough, but not as much as 2. Personally the first Mad Max is my favorite. Followed by 2, then Beyond Thunderdome. The first film felt quite grounded to me

I do remember enjoying Beyond Thunderdome when I was young. I feel like I got a bit bored though with the tribe of children sequence and I even found the final road sequence on the tracks dull as well (I don't think every single movie in the franchise needs to end this way). But I loved Bartertown and think Tina Turner was a highlight of the film.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads