• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Future Eberron - Post apoc world

How about a world where the Warforged took over? They came to realize that by creating order, they could control and protect everything? (Okay, it's a tad like Terminator. That's okay.) Humanity and dwarvenkind and elves and dragons fought back, destroying the world that the Warforged sought to protect. Now, in the magical radiation that remains, new civilizations rise upon the ashes of the past. The Warforged Domain controls all of Khorvaire. The Mournlands erupted and spread and spread and spread. Magic actually advanced far beyond the state seen in Eberron of today. Then it fell. No one understands it, let alone how to work it, save for a few potent survivors of the fall.

Andor

First Post
The one thing you have to account for in a post-apocolyptic Eberron is Sarlona and the Inspired. Either they won, or almost won and screwed the pooch at the last second, or they were the first to go down.

You can't just blow up korvaire and leave them alone or they'll just eat the continent for brunch.

The dragons mostly just watch, the corpse shagging elves are too insular to care, Xendrik has it's own problems, but if Sarlona survives it screws everything up if you leave it as is.

SiderisAnon

First Post
My suggestion on this would be to have it not a 1,000 years in the past, but maybe a couple of hundred at most. After 1,000 years, a society is fully recovered and has expaneded to the point of being its own complete world. Plus, after 1,000 years, pretty much all of the ruin structures were either scavenged for stone or have completely broken down on their own.

Historically in the real world, it doesn't take all that long for a fallen civilization to basicallly become legend. There's also the fact that after so many generations, people have completely forgotten who was there before them.

Also, your apocalypse is going to have to destroy all written knowledge of higher magics and kill everyone who knows them, or else people will be able to recreate those great feats of magic. For isntance, you couldn't wipe out airplanes in our modern world unless you killed all the engineers, burned all the libraries, destroyed all the existing airplanes, and then made sure that everyone who had any basic knowledge of airplanes died out or were too busy staying alive to pass such knowledge on to their children.

Or you just use a magical effect. Say that whatever horrible thing did all this wiped that knowledge from the world.

dm4hire

Explorer
There are a few things that might cause a society to not recreate itself after an event of that magnitude. Despite having the knowledge and man power the resources might not be available. Just cause there are planes left doesn't mean there will be fueld to fly them. Perhaps the ecco system changes enough to make flight improbable, i.e. extreme winds.

Other members of society might rise up and consider technology, or in a fantasy setting magic, the reason things happened the way they did and therefore would seek out and try to destroy people with that knowledge. That would force them to remain silent and let the advanced aspects of society decay overall while holding on to their secrets in the hope of it returning. Desolation covers that with magic. I recommend it as I pointed out as it also covers aspects like this as well as how magic might change.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Anybody have idea for magic radiation? There's Taint, but I am not sure that's what I want.
...you could go with plain old "mundane" radiation. In a magic-driven society, normal radiation would probably be really, really strange, because dispel magic and so on doesn't work, nor would it care for magic (like Wild Magic and stuff) - for a magic-driven society, that's pretty unfathomable.

Cheers, LT.

ssampier

First Post
Andor,

Oh don't worry about that. Details are still sketchy at this point. Any thoughts here?

Keep in mind I only know the basic details of Eberron (no book yet).

SiderisAnon,
I am really mindful of what you are saying. I imagine most people wouldn't know or care what happened in the past. However, PCs aren't normal. They should be heroes and finding what happened to the world years ago would be neat. I would basically say the Eberron books are the planet's history books, as we know it.

I think so much time had passed that those knowledge of skills become irreverent. If you are barely surviving, does it matter that you can build a lightening rail? As time goes on, the books and parts are out there somewhere. For those with the talent, time, and inclination can build a lightening rail. It won't be easy though.

New thoughts

I was briefly thinking of making humanoids immune to standard nonmagical poisons. I would replace creatures with poison attacks with radiation attack. Would that be too mean?

SiderisAnon

First Post
I was briefly thinking of making humanoids immune to standard nonmagical poisons. I would replace creatures with poison attacks with radiation attack. Would that be too mean?

Just use the same rules for the radiation attack as you would for the standard nonmagical poison and you aren't being mean. It's all about the fluff; right?

If you do this, I would occasionally have a snake or something bite a PC just to remind them that they're immune and how cool that is.

I do have one question: Why are they immune to the poison? You don't develop immunity generally unless it's a survival trait. Are there just that many poisonous creatures running around?

ssampier

First Post
That's a good question: why are humanoids immune to poison?

A few thoughts.

* over exposure to poison throughout the years

* Humanoid blood mixed with a poison resistant creature

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads