Gaddleroot Gazette: Why 1st age (edition) FR was so awesome!

Kaelynna

First Post
Alright folks, here's a quick 10 reasons why 1st age FR was so awesome.
Enjoy!

- Yanni Gaddleroot, Gnome Extraordinaire,
Master of the Metagame.

And Why was 1st Age FR so awesome? Here's why...

1) Elminster was only a level 26th magic-user and a RETIRED sage. He had no
chosen powers or uber godlike abilities.
2) Laeral was evil and didn't even know Khelben Blackstaff then. AND she
wasn't a seven sister back then (at least it wasn't known)
3) Storm Silverhand and the rest of the sisters used POTIONS OF LONGEVITY to
keep alive and not chosen powers (which they didn't have back then).
4) There wasn't a stupid drow elf (sorry BH) that was the seventh sister.
In fact, there weren't seven sisters.
5) Sylune of Shadowdale actually DIED heroically during the year of the
worm. There wasn't any of this spectral harper crap.
6) Harpers didn't have godlike powers in the 1st age. 2nd age changed that
however with all the Master Harper abilities, transforming tune, etc. At
least harpers are no longer godly in the 3rd age.
7) There wasn't a Drizzt Do'Urden to completely screw over the 2nd age
Ranger profession. Now every Ranger wields weapons in two hands. And
practically every intelligent min/maxed fighter will now have 1 level in
Ranger in the 3rd age just to be like Drizzt :)
8) There wasn't a Times of Troubles. Nuff Said.
9) There wasn't a Cyric or Midnight or Kelemvor, etc. 1st age FR had real deities
that weren't adventurer rejects.
10) There wasn't a Belgos Helviiryn (my best friend's half drow PC)! hahahahaha j/k

Hope you enjoyed this list! And flame away!

(This isn't meant to be an FR bash thread. Just having a little truthful fun. I really like 3E FR, BTW.)

Guacamole

First Post
I only wish I wrote this....

I got this from the DND boards on the Wizards website. from a Waylander.... here is the link:

http://boards.wizards.com/rpg/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=135&t=008397

By Waylander:

And btw...I got all the current Forgotten Realms books and several story books from Ed.
My top ten reasons to hate the character Elimenster and thus never put him in my campaign...

10) An old man whose hitting on every single good looking female character that just came to life in the FR settings. I don't need guys hitting on good looking npc women I already got a group of baffoons.

9) Always wins at the end...eventually. (So much for the mystry of Mystra's Chosen). So cliche', even in the Elimenster in Hell he still won in the end.

8) Indestructable??? Why isn't he a diety yet? Just make him a minor diety of something and give us a rest. Don't give me the excuse that he wants to stick around and sleep with every npc woman and his witch queen, he can do that as a diety too. Heck, probably can make his own witch queen. Ao should have made him the grumpy god of magic instead of midnight and gave us all a peace of mind.

7) What's with Mystra's intervention like mad on a chosen?? Aren't there rules? Is there no other equal powered diety or even a group of them to stop this stupid always-occuring intervention?? Is Mystra so powerful that only Ao can argue with her and even he wont do it?! How come I never see that crap with evil dieties? Why doesn't Bane do this to his chosen or even Shar or Mask? Don't give me the excuse that he is evil, it is in his best interest to keep a chosen alive and show that evil pays off.

6) Elimenster's love relation with Mystra is like a female player playing in a game where her boyfriend is the DM.

5) See #8.

4) Is Elimenster a real character? He doesn't even have a single flaw?! Raistlin was power hungry, Gandalf had the personality of an old man and didn't give the aura of an omnipotent being, does Elimenster have a real flaw?? Even dieties in forgotten realm got flaws...Mystra biased to good when she shouldn't be; Torm way too arrogant in chivarlry and nobility for his own good; Bane way too tyrant for his own good; Shar too self destructive; etc etc and yet Elimenster has none.

3) Elimenster keeps coming across from the same angle. He wants to go investigate so and so. *BAM* Teleports outside the castle and asks to see the King, yet when the guard doesnt recognize his 1000+ old same-looking face, he breaks through and does something to the guard or whatever. Two comments on that: a) If you got that much power why don't you just teleport inside like a normal powerful and arrogant bzyatch wizard b)You are telling me that you are like the #1 wizard in the world, been around for thousands and thousands of years, meddle in every problem in the world and yet a guard to a palace wont recognize your face? His picture is on the 'How to guard a castle manual' under the section 'Dangerous, could lose your life, call for help.'

2) He's the like the daddy everyone always wanted. In real life, for a mortal at least, that shouldn't be possible. Just for once I'd like to see him say....hmmm...I don't have any bat guano or even utter some incantation instead of snapping his fingers have it done. I wanna see him act like a real wizard not an innately beefed up character. Even the top ranking surgeons can make mistakes....does Elimenster ever lose concentration and utter a word wrong... Can we see him suddenly in a swamp upside down occasionally cause he smoked too much that day and casted a spell wrong?

And the number ONE reason I _HATE_ Elimenster..

1) He is made more powerful than a diety....that's not a character....that's a diety of higher status.

Bottom line....I HATE ELIMENSTER

rounser

First Post
If I could turn back time...

There's nothing to stop you from doing what Cher couldn't:

Turn back the clock on your new campaign to the pre-ToT era. You'll never be bothered by novels or the Seven Sisters or Cyric or any of the drow nonsense that has occurred since.

Oh, and you get to bring back Lleira. She was cool. :)

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Great thread! I agree almost 100%, BTW - which is why I'm still using the "old gray box" for the facts in my FR even though I also have the 2e box and the 3e book. :D

Remove ads