• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gain vs Receive Temporary Hit Points

moticon

First Post
There are several powers that say you "gain" temporary hit points.

Last night, after some discussion, our group landed on this understanding (taking into account the rule that temp HP from different sources don't stack).

1. 1. When a PC gains THP (temp HP), they are added to existing THP from the same source (eg, Warlock's Infernal pact power).
  2. 1a. If the PC has THP from source A (such as a cleric power) and gains THP from source B, these do not stack because they are from different sources.
  3. 2. If a power says someone receives THP, then these are not additive to any source. Receiving THP from the same source two times is not the same as gaining THP.

The main question in the debate was first the question about what "gain" means (we finally settled on, "Adds to existing amount"), and whether gaining will be additive to existing THP (even if from a different source, which we finally decided on "no").

What are others doing here?

IanB

First Post
I think I threw up a little in my mouth.

Uh yeah. Way to contribute with your first post there.

Anyway, my feeling is that you shouldn't be treating gain/receive as different in this situation. Just go with the basic 'same source stack, different source no stack' rule and you should be fine.

Tale

First Post
I wasn't very productive either. I'm just massively surprised by this situation.

Gain and receive are, for all intents and purposes in this context, the same thing. They both precisely mean "to get."

Danger Mouse

Explorer
My reading of it is that temporary hit points don't stack, ever. Two different uses of the same ability count as two separate "sources" of temp HP.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
My reading of it is that temporary hit points don't stack, ever. Two different uses of the same ability count as two separate "sources" of temp HP.
That's what I think too. Otherwise you get Paladins and Warlocks and who knows what else stacking up the temp HP until you can't hardly kill them. Infernal warlocks especially would be bad for this, definitely unbalancing.

Mort_Q

First Post
My understanding of temporary hitpoints is this:

• You gain/receive X temporary hitpoints.
    • If you currently have more than X temporary hitpoints, nothing happens.
    • Else, you now have X temporary hitpoints.

Xorn

First Post
I don't know if this will be the first time someone has ever said this on a forum, but:

Please throw away your thesaurus.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads