D&D 5E gaining skills?

gweinel

Explorer
I had not the time to read thoroughly the basic rules but i didn't find anything about gaining new skills during your adventures. Is there such an option? If not will be there something in PH or DMG?

JoeCrow

Explorer
It's in the downtime section. Takes 250 days at 1 gp/day to learn a new skill/language. Doesn't say whether those days have to be consecutive or if you can just say "In between adventuring, I go back to Blacksmithing school for a couple of weeks!" and let it gradually accumulate. I'd probably let my crew get away with that, instead of telling them they have to take most of a year off to learn a new skill or something.

[Actually, "proficiency with a tool set", but I'd let that roll into skill training, too.]

Last edited:

gweinel

Explorer
It's in the downtime section. Takes 250 days at 1 gp/day to learn a new skill/language. Doesn't say whether those days have to be consecutive or if you can just say "In between adventuring, I go back to Blacksmithing school for a couple of weeks!" and let it gradually accumulate. I'd probably let my crew get away with that, instead of telling them they have to take most of a year off to learn a new skill or something.

[Actually, "proficiency with a tool set", but I'd let that roll into skill training, too.]

Thank you for the info. I actually like this rule :)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Note that the training does not allow you to take new skills. It's for proficiency with tools or a new language only.

I expect that new skills will be a feature of the feat system.

Cheers!

Agamon

Adventurer
Yeah, tools and languages is one thing, but actual skills is a bit much for the basic training rules, IMO.

JoeCrow

Explorer
I dunno, the line between a skill and a tool proficiency is pretty blurry from where I'm sitting. Not that it's likely to come up between now and when the PHB comes out, but I'd be inclined to let it roll with just the time investment for now.

Anth

First Post
It's in the downtime section. Takes 250 days at 1 gp/day to learn a new skill/language
A quick calculation gives: 250/5=50. So 50 weeks with 5 workdays a week + 2 weeks vacation = 1 year.
Wouldn't it be easier to say that it takes a year to learn a new skill?

Interesting, I never considered picking up skills except via race, class, or background. I suppose if your game uses Feats, there are some in the last play test packet that grant new skills, but your choice will be limited however.

A quick calculation gives: 250/5=50. So 50 weeks with 5 workdays a week + 2 weeks vacation = 1 year. Wouldn't it be easier to say that it takes a year to learn a new skill?

Pretty sure most medieval people don't have 5-day work-weeks, or vacation! :) Not that they didn't get time off or the like, but it worked in an entirely different way. So yeah, that's not a helpful simplification.

Also, I don't believe it says the time has to be contiguous, does it? So by saying "250 days" you could put in 50 days here, 120 days there, and 80 days at another time. It's much more useful and flexible than "1 year".

gweinel

Explorer
It would be pity to learn new skills only with feats. I never liked the feat >> skill system in both 3rd and 4th edition. Why they have mentioned only the languages and the tools in the downtime section and not the skills?

Remove ads