D&D 5E Gale Force 9 Shows Off D&D 'Of Ships & The Sea' DM Screen

Gale Force Nine has shared some pictures of the new DM Screen geared at nautical adventures, Of Ships & The Sea. The website says "Pre-Order - Mid June", so I'm not sure if it's available yet.

dms1.jpg

dms2.jpg

dms1.jpg

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Has anyone used the Worlds Greatest Screen by Hammerdog Games? Any thoughts? I was thinking of buying it.
http://hammerdog.com/twgs/

I have the mini one and like it. But you have to create your own content for it or find a temple to print out. I like the screen DM David put together for TWGS mini: https://dmdavid.com/tag/improved-fifth-edition-dungeon-master-screen-and-initiative-tents/

But I ended up making my own in MS Publisher.

I find that as I get more used to a system, a lot of the stuff on most DM screens is in my head and I just don't need it. Also, I use some third-party stuff, so I like to add references to that, as well as some campaign specific info. For D&D, as I use D&D Beyond now, and am far more familiar with the rules, I find I am using the screens for campaign-specific references. That's one great thing about Hammerdog's TWGS, you can easily swap out inserts. So you can have not only system-specific inserts, but also campaign specific inserts.

For example, I can have inserts with pre-generated names for different regions and I can swap out them out from session to session as the party travels. Also, if I know some rules are going to be important for a specific session, I can create a reference insert for just that session.

So, yes, if you customize a lot and don't mind spending the time to create your own references, TWGS is handy.

R_J_K75

Legend
I have the mini one and like it. But you have to create your own content for it or find a temple to print out. I like the screen DM David put together for TWGS mini: https://dmdavid.com/tag/improved-fifth-edition-dungeon-master-screen-and-initiative-tents/

But I ended up making my own in MS Publisher.

I find that as I get more used to a system, a lot of the stuff on most DM screens is in my head and I just don't need it. Also, I use some third-party stuff, so I like to add references to that, as well as some campaign specific info. For D&D, as I use D&D Beyond now, and am far more familiar with the rules, I find I am using the screens for campaign-specific references. That's one great thing about Hammerdog's TWGS, you can easily swap out inserts. So you can have not only system-specific inserts, but also campaign specific inserts.

For example, I can have inserts with pre-generated names for different regions and I can swap out them out from session to session as the party travels. Also, if I know some rules are going to be important for a specific session, I can create a reference insert for just that session.

So, yes, if you customize a lot and don't mind spending the time to create your own references, TWGS is handy.

Thanks for the response, it helps alot. How sturdy is it, do you think it will hold up over the years?

MNblockhead

Thanks for the response, it helps alot. How sturdy is it, do you think it will hold up over the years?

It is good quality. But I use it at home. So I'm not throwing it in a backpack and it is not getting bent and unbent, and packed and unpacked all. But I will say that were I to above my DM screens, TWGS would fare much better than on the carboard screens I have from WotC/Gale Force and other games.

My only complaint is that I think I may get the full-sized one. I find I end up using font-sizes that are not easy to read in the middle of a game because I'm trying to squeeze to much in such a small space. Also, ALL the screen content is low because the entire screen is low. With the full sized screen I can put certain content that I need to frequently, and quickly, reference higher on the screen.

I'll also say that for games that I don't play often, I'll just use whatever official screen the game comes with, rather than taking the time to make my own for TWGS.

JDBausch

Villager

Ive had one for about 3 years. Using it maybe once every two weeks. I just noticed that 2 of the spines were breaking. I taped it up and it is ok. I’m not super excited that it is breaking already, because I don’t feel like I’ve been that rough on it. But frankly I will probably get the same again to replace it when it does finally fully die. The full size portrait setup is by far the best I’ve found.

R_J_K75

Legend
Ive had one for about 3 years. Using it maybe once every two weeks. I just noticed that 2 of the spines were breaking. I taped it up and it is ok. I’m not super excited that it is breaking already, because I don’t feel like I’ve been that rough on it. But frankly I will probably get the same again to replace it when it does finally fully die. The full size portrait setup is by far the best I’ve found.

The spine splitting is exactly what I thought would happen, so not worth the money IMO. Few hinges, plywood and some vinyl sheet protectors Ill make my own. I can scan and print my own inserts.

I was looking at the two 5E DM screens WotC put out today and compared to the ones for 2E, they pale in comparison. Case in point on one of the 5E ones they show creature size pictorially but dont list the game mechanic of how many squares and the dimensions the creature takes up.

R_J_K75

Legend
It is good quality. But I use it at home. So I'm not throwing it in a backpack and it is not getting bent and unbent, and packed and unpacked all. But I will say that were I to above my DM screens, TWGS would fare much better than on the carboard screens I have from WotC/Gale Force and other games.

My only complaint is that I think I may get the full-sized one. I find I end up using font-sizes that are not easy to read in the middle of a game because I'm trying to squeeze to much in such a small space. Also, ALL the screen content is low because the entire screen is low. With the full sized screen I can put certain content that I need to frequently, and quickly, reference higher on the screen.

I'll also say that for games that I don't play often, I'll just use whatever official screen the game comes with, rather than taking the time to make my own for TWGS.

I too game at my house 90% of the time, so I really wont have to worry about wear and tear of transport, and size wont be an issue. I can make it whatever size I want. My eyesight isnt so good anymore so I'll probably make it a little bigger than letter size with a bigger font. Thanks to those who responded to my question, based on your feedback Im going to pass on the TWGS.

MNblockhead

I too game at my house 90% of the time, so I really wont have to worry about wear and tear of transport, and size wont be an issue. I can make it whatever size I want. My eyesight isnt so good anymore so I'll probably make it a little bigger than letter size with a bigger font. Thanks to those who responded to my question, based on your feedback Im going to pass on the TWGS.

Another option, if you don't want to spend a lot of time and money making or buying one is to use two 3-ring binders and some binder clips and page protectors.

See the following YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1zx1Wqd5g

I used this for a while. It was helpful when I started, but as I play more and more, there is less and less I need at my fingers. Also, I have DnD Beyond for quick rules look up. But the two binder method served me well for a while.

R_J_K75

Legend
Another option, if you don't want to spend a lot of time and money making or buying one is to use two 3-ring binders and some binder clips and page protectors.

See the following YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1zx1Wqd5g

I used this for a while. It was helpful when I started, but as I play more and more, there is less and less I need at my fingers. Also, I have DnD Beyond for quick rules look up. But the two binder method served me well for a while.

Thats actually a good idea, somewhat what I was thinking. I have most of the materials already. Im gonna try this. Thanks.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases