WotC Gale Force 9 Sues WotC [Updated]

In the second lawsuit against WotC in recent weeks (Dragonlance authors Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman sued the company for breach of contract and other things about a month ago), Gale Force 9 is suing the company for breach of contract and implied duty of good faith. Gale Force 9 produces miniatures, cards, DM screens, and other D&D accessories. They’re asking for damages of nearly a...

In the second lawsuit against WotC in recent weeks (Dragonlance authors Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman sued the company for breach of contract and other things about a month ago), Gale Force 9 is suing the company for breach of contract and implied duty of good faith.

Gale Force 9 produces miniatures, cards, DM screens, and other D&D accessories. They’re asking for damages of nearly a million dollars, as well as an injunction to prevent WotC from terminating the licensing contract.

From the suit, it looks like WotC wanted to end a licensing agreement a year early. When GF9 didn't agree to that, WotC indicated that they would refuse to approve any new licensed products from GF9. It looks like the same sort of approach they took with Weis and Hickman, which also resulted in a lawsuit. The dispute appears to relate to some product translations in non-US markets. More information as I hear it!

82F5CC89-D584-42F3-9D27-E35366456FAD.jpeg

UPDATE. GF9's CEO, Jean-Paul Brisigotti, spoke to ICv2 and said: "After twelve years of working with Wizards, we find ourselves in a difficult place having to utilize the legal system to try and resolve an issue we have spent the last six months trying to amicably handle between us without any success. We still hope this can be settled between us but the timeline for a legal resolution has meant we have been forced to go down this path at this time."

GF9_Logo_Starfield.jpg

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The complaint was filed on November 17. Going by your figure, they would have up until December 7 to respond.

EDIT: though if that number is accurate, that means that the deadline for WotC to respond to Margaret Weis LLC et al v. Wizards of the Coast LLC has already passed. Did anything happen on that front?
It's not from when it's filed, though. It's from when it is served on the Defendant. You have 90 days from the time you file the Complaint to serve it. WotC might not have even been served yet. Once it is served, they then have 20 days to respond.

Edit: same with the Weiss Complaint. That one may or may not have been served even at this point. I don't think the 90 days has passed yet, has it?

It's not from when it's filed, though. It's from when it is served on the Defendant. You have 90 days from the time you file the Complaint to serve it. WotC might not have even been served yet. Once it is served, they then have 20 days to respond.

Edit: same with the Weiss Complaint. That one may or may not have been served even at this point. I don't think the 90 days has passed yet, has it?
Ah, I see.

Zardnaar

Legend
The book isn’t costly. It’s one of the cheapest hobbies there is.

Up there with card games and walking. Even then my walking boots cost more than all three of the core books + xgte + Tasha.

Try living outside America.

PHB $50-$70 and in some countries you get a fraction of US wages (half or less).

By the time you've paid for postage each book can be the equivalent of $100-$200.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
You get what you pay for 🤷🏻‍♂️. Rpg’s as a whole are cheap.
They are... if you get use out of them. And there's the rub. Many of them or their sourcebooks have a not-insignificant cost up front that ultimately becomes cheap on an hourly basis after you've played a while. And while the $/hour may be low if you play more than just a trial, that up front cost can be a barrier depending on your finances. And outside of the US, that can be significantly more than in the US for US publications (which is most of them). That's why I think Olrox17's comment isn't completely out of line. It's a bit cavalier to just wave off the cost of RPGs.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Not as cheap as you think. See previous comment. Without cheap Amazon deals we're paying around double US prices.

That's in NZ, worse for other countries.
I have a relatively easier time getting the books. (But again being just across a single border helps a lot) The books used to be very cheap off Amazon, but prices have crept up over time. I got the MM under $30, and some of the newer books already get up to $50 or $60. However, Amazon didn't stock preorders of Tasha's, and third party was selling it for $140. I count myself lucky, because I got my copy for under $40. At least books are toll free in customs, but importing stuff is always a nightmare.

Zardnaar

Legend
I have a relatively easier time getting the books. (But again being just across a single border helps a lot) The books used to be very cheap off Amazon, but prices have crept up over time. I got the MM under $30, and some of the newer books already get up to $50 or $60. However, Amazon didn't stock preorders of Tasha's, and third party was selling it for $140. I count myself lucky, because I got my copy for under $40. At least books are toll free in customs, but importing stuff is always a nightmare.

Postage kills it so you're paying retail price.

When I was a kid PHB was one weeks rent.

Remove ads

Remove ads